[MAC] VideoToolBox API in XBMC for Mac on Mac OS X for decoding more than just H.264?
Question 
Hi,
I was trying to read up on videotoolbox as news of the great xbmc app and it's discovery seems to allude to more decoding (and encoding) on video card.

Wikipedia says:
"The most common API's for GPU accelerated video decoding are DxVA for Microsoft Windows operating-system, and VDPAU, VAAPI, XvMC, and XvBA for Linux and UNIX based operating-system.
All except XvMC are capable of decoding videos encoded with MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4 ASP (MPEG-4 Part 2), MPEG-4 AVC (H.264 / DivX 6), VC-1, WMV3/WMV9, Xvid / OpenDivX (DivX 4), and DivX 5 codecs, while XvMC is only capable of decoding MPEG-1 and MPEG-2."

Does this mean further graphic acceleration (beyond h.264) is going to be looked into for the mac xbmc or is this not relevant or my understanding is messed up.

Just to clarify my position (sat at computer): I not requesting this i'm just interested as to what it could mean for mac.

Well done on it tho, very impressive!

Go XBMC!
Apple uses VDA as API for hardware acceleration. Google VDA for specs.

In short: max L4.1 high and h264 only
MBP late 2009 - TimeCapsule 2TB - Harmony One+ - Readynas NV+ 8TB RAID5 - Mac Mini late 2009 with 10.9.0 and VDA - Panasonic TX-PG420ES -
Thanks for the reply and sorry for putting it in the wrong place (wasn't sure where it was meant to go)
Right now XBMC for Mac uses VDADecoder if it's present.

Future changes will use VideoToolBox where not only is h264 present but also mpeg2 and mpeg4 part 2 and not only just on nvidia chipsets, it's also present on intel chipsets.
davilla Wrote:Right now XBMC for Mac uses VDADecoder if it's present.

Future changes will use VideoToolBox where not only is h264 present but also mpeg2 and mpeg4 part 2 and not only just on nvidia chipsets, it's also present on intel chipsets.

Wait, does this mean the GMA950 Mac Mini will have hardware accelerated video?
aaronb Wrote:Wait, does this mean the GMA950 Mac Mini will have hardware accelerated video?

No GMA950 does not support hardware acceleration:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_GMA#Specifications
MBP late 2009 - TimeCapsule 2TB - Harmony One+ - Readynas NV+ 8TB RAID5 - Mac Mini late 2009 with 10.9.0 and VDA - Panasonic TX-PG420ES -
davilla Wrote:Future changes will use VideoToolBox where not only is h264 present but also mpeg2 and mpeg4 part 2 and not only just on nvidia chipsets, it's also present on intel chipsets.
VC1 still lacking?
(2011-01-22, 21:54)davilla Wrote: Future changes will use VideoToolBox where not only is h264 present but also mpeg2 and mpeg4 part 2 and not only just on nvidia chipsets, it's also present on intel chipsets.

I apologize beforehand for obtrusive question, but today I noticed that Video Toolbox API went public with 10.8:

https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/...11634-SW12
I also found a mention in ffmpeg: OS X VideoToolbox (VT) support

Without meaning any pressure I would like to ask, if or when we should expect it in OSX version of XBMC.
Best expectation is no expectation as it really raises the fun factor when it will be in on some point Wink
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[MAC] VideoToolBox API in XBMC for Mac on Mac OS X for decoding more than just H.264?1