[AppleTV2] Are skins supported? If so, how would one move them to the Apple TV 2?
Sorry, for a question that may have been easily answered by simply trying. However i just managed to jailbreak my ATV2 with Seas0npass (ATV and iMac are in different rooms - i really don't want to tether the device again anytime soon) and installed XBMC. What i really need now is the reFocus skin as i don't like the original one at all. So, before crashing the device i thought i may ask the community here whether skins are supported on the Apple TV at this time? And if they are, can I just use most FTP-Applications to transfer reFocus (which isn't available through XBMC Add-Ons Rep) to the skins folder?

Thanks for your time and help!
Skins are supported, though there is a few display issues being worked on. The skin is put in the addons folder (located in /var/mobile/library/preferences/xbmc/ for the iPad version, I'd assume it's similar for ATV) and has to be Dharma compatible. Note that XBMC only detects new add ons when you start it up so you may need to close XBMC and reopen it to actually be able to see the new skin as an option.
Halopend Wrote:Skins are supported, though there is a few display issues being worked on. The skin is put in the addons folder (located in /var/mobile/library/preferences/xbmc/ for the iPad version, I'd assume it's similar for ATV) and has to be Dharma compatible. Note that XBMC only detects new add ons when you start it up so you may need to close XBMC and reopen it to actually be able to see the new skin as an option.

Thanks for your quick response. So reFocus should work then i guess - does anyone have any experiences with that particular skin and the Apple TV?
Nope sorry. Anyone know if the transparant skin works? Very popular en nice skin
Just tested SLik, it seems to work.

skins are in:
Code:
/Applications/XBMC.frappliance/XBMCData/XBMCHome/addons

If you want to test it out heres a quick rundown of the commands:

Code:
wget http://jezzxbmc.googlecode.com/files/skin.SLik.0.0.3.zip
unzip skin*
cp skin.SLik /Applications/XBMC.frappliance/XBMCData/XBMCHome/addons/

that will download, unzip, and copy the folder to the proper location.
after you can cleanup:

Code:
rm -Rf skin*

same process applies obviously to other skins. should be able to extract the skin directly to that folder with the unzip parameters but i wanted to see if it output into a folder first.

i wouldnt call SLik minimal though. and it doesnt seem to run any faster then Confluence.
alternatively, some skins use repos (zip files containing repo info).

Code:
cd /var/mobile
wget http://location.to/zipfile.zip

then inside of the settings/get addons you select install from zip file and pick the zip you just installed. from there browse the repo and install the skin you want.

the zip can be downloaded anywhere inside /var/mobile but not anywhere else (seems to be hardcoded into xbmc that it has to be somewhere in /var/mobile

i confirmed this method using the Aeon MQ 2. Aeon skins are resource hogs for the most part. so far, rendering new menus is much slower then confluence, but once in a menu scrolling is on par with confluence.

hopefully someone makes a nice atv2 specific theme that runs fast Smile
Thanks for that info, I was wondering where to put the zipfiles.

Its good to hear that Aeon at least works, I'm also hoping that someone with make some ATV2 specific skin!
iLLNESS Wrote:Just tested SLik, it seems to work.

skins are in:
Code:
/Applications/XBMC.frappliance/XBMCData/XBMCHome/addons

If you want to test it out heres a quick rundown of the commands:

Code:
wget http://jezzxbmc.googlecode.com/files/skin.SLik.0.0.3.zip
unzip skin*
cp skin.SLik /Applications/XBMC.frappliance/XBMCData/XBMCHome/addons/

that will download, unzip, and copy the folder to the proper location.
after you can cleanup:

Code:
rm -Rf skin*

same process applies obviously to other skins. should be able to extract the skin directly to that folder with the unzip parameters but i wanted to see if it output into a folder first.

i wouldnt call SLik minimal though. and it doesnt seem to run any faster then Confluence.

i did the above commands, but where can i select the skin? i dont see if under addons or when skins (from the GUI)
Reverb Wrote:Nope sorry. Anyone know if the transparant skin works? Very popular en nice skin

transparent works , tested Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2] Are skins supported? If so, how would one move them to the Apple TV 2?0