Skinning for iOS iDevices?
Question 
I thought I'd go ahead and start this since it looks like the next set of questions from users is going be "does this skin work on iPad/iPhone/iTouch/aTV...

So far the biggest issue I have noticed is scrolling, either horizontal or vertical, doesn't work if there is not a scroll bar present. Is this even always an option? I.E, menu bars - can the the likes of a fixed list have a scroll bar?

Next is how to get to menus that are usually associated with keyboard command; S for Shutdown, C for content, etc....

I'm sure there is a lot more to be discovered! Thanks Davilla! Wink

Fun days ahead!
-stoli-
For scrolling, I think the idea is hopefully to add some type of flick to scroll type of thing common in touch devices.

Reaching the shutdown menu and such means that the skin needs to have a touch button for it. In iOS the skin needs to have back and home buttons most likely but this will not be needed in the same amount on a possible android port since they have hw buttons for back.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Some iPad apps use multi gestures and touches..

For example why cant scrolling be with two fingers instead of one?

Select one tap..?

Context menu double fingers tap..?

Shut down menu would be hold your thumb and move your index finger clock wise or anti clock wise..?

Just an idea I dont know how this could be achieved with a skin though..
Dullie Wrote:Some iPad apps use multi gestures and touches..

For example why cant scrolling be with two fingers instead of one?

Select one tap..?

Context menu double fingers tap..?

Shut down menu would be hold your thumb and move your index finger clock wise or anti clock wise..?

Just an idea I dont know how this could be achieved with a skin though..

Two finger to scroll seems rather unstandardized IMO, just touch a list and move is more standardized afaik.

For context menu I'd rather see touch and hold like on android, its nicer than double tap IMO (less likely to be accidental)

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
topfs2 Wrote:Two finger to scroll seems rather unstandardized IMO, just touch a list and move is more standardized afaik.

For context menu I'd rather see touch and hold like on android, its nicer than double tap IMO (less likely to be accidental)

As I see it, we need button (preferably with the same ID throughout a skin) calling context menu, so it can be placed, say, in top right corner and be made visible, regardless of gesture. Second thing is back command placed, say in left upper corner which should always take you back one step, including closing open dialogs (if you are in dialog). Existing command "backspace" doesn't always close opened dialog. Don't know if it's by design or is it a bug. A button simulating this function is probably also needed.

Most of the other "problems" I think could be solved by different skin design and by that I don't mean it will be change for the worse.

As of gestures and hardware home buttons. I would prefer, if possible, to stick with standard ones for that platform. In other words - use whatever the standard is on Android and stick with recommended ones on iOS - press and hold on Android, two finger tap or whatever is on iOS.

But, ones again, let there be a button for context menu and let it be visible. It's in fact options menu (with option items varying based on window ID) and should be recognized as such. One can always use a gesture instead, if it's more convenient to him.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

Some how it would also be nice to have the context menu and info menu integrated together. I wouldnt even mind this on the desktop versions to be honest.
Server - Debain Squeeze Server + 6TB RAID5 + Sabnzbd + CP & SB
HTPC - Zotac MAG + 60GB Vertex 2 SSD + OpenELEC Frodo 12.1 + Aeon Nox
HTPC 2 - AppleTV 2
CASHMON3Y Wrote:Some how it would also be nice to have the context menu and info menu integrated together. I wouldnt even mind this on the desktop versions to be honest.

What's info menu?
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

pecinko Wrote:As I see it, we need button (preferably with the same ID throughout a skin) calling context menu, so it can be placed, say, in top right corner and be made visible, regardless of gesture. Second thing is back command placed, say in left upper corner which should always take you back one step, including closing open dialogs (if you are in dialog). Existing command "backspace" doesn't always close opened dialog. Don't know if it's by design or is it a bug. A button simulating this function is probably also needed.

Well a context menu needs a context (i.e. an item in a list) so a button somewhere else in the window will not work well (or the context will be loosely coupled with the item which is not good).

pecinko Wrote:As of gestures and hardware home buttons. I would prefer, if possible, to stick with standard ones for that platform. In other words - use whatever the standard is on Android and stick with recommended ones on iOS - press and hold on Android, two finger tap or whatever is on iOS.

Can't agree more, using what feels native on the client is key.

pecinko Wrote:But, ones again, let there be a button for context menu and let it be visible. It's in fact options menu (with option items varying based on window ID) and should be recognized as such. One can always use a gesture instead, if it's more convenient to him.

Think you are confusing context menu with a window menu? Window menu would be static based on the window (which is what the menu key on android points to) whereas the context menu depends on the item you choose (right click in windows).

topfs2 Wrote:Think you are confusing context menu with a window menu? Window menu would be static based on the window (which is what the menu key on android points to) whereas the context menu depends on the item you choose (right click in windows).

No, I'm not, but since there are items in context menu that are not related to selected item (setting, goto root etc), I successfully misled myself :-)))
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

pecinko Wrote:What's info menu?
When you push the "i" key. It brings up a windows that shows, well, info. Like movie/episode description, actors, etc. The context menu is what comes up that has things like delete show, and some other stuff that I dont use.
Server - Debain Squeeze Server + 6TB RAID5 + Sabnzbd + CP & SB
HTPC - Zotac MAG + 60GB Vertex 2 SSD + OpenELEC Frodo 12.1 + Aeon Nox
HTPC 2 - AppleTV 2
CASHMON3Y Wrote:When you push the "i" key. It brings up a windows that shows, well, info. Like movie/episode description, actors, etc. The context menu is what comes up that has things like delete show, and some other stuff that I dont use.

But, doesn't context menu already have "show info"?

Either you press "i" and go directly to video info or, you press "c" and choose "movie information".
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

pecinko Wrote:No, I'm not, but since there are items in context menu that are not related to selected item (setting, goto root etc), I successfully misled myself :-)))

Yeah those are soooo wrongly placed, we have had many discussions about they needing to go to some window specific menu or at the very least out of the context menu. So, yeah, I will give you that it is, in current state, very ambiguous Smile but the intent of the menu is that it depends on the actually highlighted item Smile

topfs2 Wrote:Yeah those are soooo wrongly placed, we have had many discussions about they needing to go to some window specific menu or at the very least out of the context menu. So, yeah, I will give you that it is, in current state, very ambiguous Smile but the intent of the menu is that it depends on the actually highlighted item Smile

I agree. One can separate them more easily on touch screens (THAT could go to my upper right menu :-))) and the rest could be kept as shorter context saving UI estate on smaller devices. Problem remains how to elegantly solve it on HTPC.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

To get back to the main topic: Basically any skin designed with mouse use in mind will work well on a touchscreen. Any skin that doesn't work well with the mouse will suck on a touchscreen.

Ones that will work well: Basically anything Jezz_X does (Confluence, PM3.HD, SliK, Basics 101). I think Rapier might work OK, and perhaps reFocus. There's a couple designed for smaller touchscreens as well.

Obviously there's further refinement from there, but that's the main one.

Cheers,
Jonathan

the best mouse skin so far is PM3.HD Slik is not so good but could easily be made to work better with the mouse

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Skinning for iOS iDevices?0