• 2(current)
Linux HOW-TO watch Live TV in XBMC for Linux with Tvheadend, the easy way!
Carjack Wrote:"Mega-dittos" ie Thank you, Dush! for making/working on such a much-loved/requested project!

I read through your website (friendly navigation, clean interface btw) but after reading both the FAQ, installation instructions, and scanning the XBMC forums, I did not find an answer to the following question:

What video input cards/dongles are fully supported and which would you recommend for main-room HTPC usage?

Thank you kindly for your tireless work. We appreciate you!Big Grin

Any card that is supported under linux will work.

see here: http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Ha...nformation

I personally prefer to steer clear of cheap usb tuners as they tend to bring nothing but hassle.

I have had the best experience with hauppauge pci cards. the nova range is well supported and very reliable. i use dvb-t and dvb-s cards however you will need to choose depending on access to feeds and space in the machine.

Hauppauge: http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/site/products...ernal.html

have a look on auction sites for 'hauppauge nova' they are quite cheap now.
HDhomerun is also worth a look: http://www.silicondust.com/

i would recommend searching the mythtv gossamer threads for information on cards before you buy as some require drivers to be built which can be a pain.

i hope this helps.

dubstar_04
All Things PVR
WARNING: take care about PCIe cards that have the "cx23885 PCIe bridge chip" inside: seems it is a bugged chip and still causing, under certain hardware configuration, issues (in short: can't handle PCI-MSI-edge IRQs if there are other PCIe devices onboard).
Linux. Maverick 10.10 server minimal. NVIDIA 270.18. XBMC-PVR from dushmaniac ppa(master). I have not reported any bugs after about 24 hours of intensive use of PVR functionality already implemented. Thank you for your work.
Now with the latest nivida drivers, I blame nvidia and their drivers prior to 270.18 for the crashes I had in the past with xbmc when watching live TV.
Small questions:
- did you have planned to import tvheadend channel tag as XBMC channel group? and then the tvheadend channel order with theirs tag/group? I spent about one hour to re-arrange the XBMC channels Rofl
- During fullscreen live tv, there are shortcuts or methods to recall Channels|EPG|TXT layers without accessing first to the osd menu?
joethefox Wrote:- did you have planned to import tvheadend channel tag as XBMC channel group? and then the tvheadend channel order with theirs tag/group?
yes and yes. don't ask me for an ETA.

Quote:- During fullscreen live tv, there are shortcuts or methods to recall Channels|EPG|TXT layers without accessing first to the osd menu?
at the moment no. planned for later too.

edit:
you can get the channel list. think the button is mapped to Menu.
opdenkamp / dushmaniac

xbmc-pvr [Eden-PVR builds] [now included in mainline XBMC, so no more source link here :)]
personal website: [link]

Found a problem with PVR? Report it on Trac, under "PVR - core components". Please attach the full debug log.

If you like my work, please consider donating to me and/or Team XBMC.
Can somebody explain how this works?? Does this work WorldWide(I am from Croatia). Sorry for a stupid question.
joethefox Wrote:- During fullscreen live tv, there are shortcuts or methods to recall Channels|EPG|TXT layers without accessing first to the osd menu?

To continue from Dushmaniac, yes this is possible.

I have Channels mapped to "DVD Menu" and EPG mapped to "Guide" on my remote, therefore having to move Codec/Debug to "Enter" on my MCE remote.

Here's my Lircmap.xml file...

Code:
<lircmap>
        <remote device="mceusb">
        <display>LiveTV</display>
        <title>Enter</title>
        <guide>Guide</guide>
        <playlist>DVD</playlist>
         </remote>
</lircmap>
DjBeNI Wrote:Can somebody explain how this works?? Does this work WorldWide(I am from Croatia). Sorry for a stupid question.

This works worldwide. You need a TV Tuner of some sort for this to work. Either Terrestrial, Satellite or Cable tuners.

You need to install a TV backend (TVHeadend or VDR) and the version of XBMC with PVR support. Plenty of guides on here.
Thanks for the great work dush. Would it be possible to get a simple install like on this thread for MythTV? Also is it possible to test any of the linux pvr backend addons with the Win32 XBMC install?
ant_thomas Wrote:I have Channels mapped to "DVD Menu" and EPG mapped to "Guide" on my remote, therefore having to move Codec/Debug to "Enter" on my MCE remote.
it's just the current channel's EPG though.

karatekickz Wrote:Would it be possible to get a simple install like on this thread for MythTV?
there's a mythtv thread too. I'll check later if that thread can be simplified too, but I'm not running myth myself and I don't have any spare DVB hardware for a second backend, so I can't test this myself at the moment.

Quote:Also is it possible to test any of the linux pvr backend addons with the Win32 XBMC install?
not with the official setup. you'll have to compile one yourself, from the source in my signature (Dharma-pvr to get the stable one)
opdenkamp / dushmaniac

xbmc-pvr [Eden-PVR builds] [now included in mainline XBMC, so no more source link here :)]

Found a problem with PVR? Report it on Trac, under "PVR - core components". Please attach the full debug log.

dushmaniac Wrote:yes and yes. don't ask me for an ETA.
There is a little design problem with the channel groups. In Tvheadend a channel can be assigned to multiple groups/tags. In XBMC a channel can only belong to one group.

Are there any plans to implement HbbTV?
xoox Wrote:There is a little design problem with the channel groups. In Tvheadend a channel can be assigned to multiple groups/tags. In XBMC a channel can only belong to one group.
already taken care of in the development tree. it's just missing the required mapping table now.

Quote:Are there any plans to implement HbbTV?
no and I doubt it will make much sense for us. afaik this is a definition of how to embed video, definition of web interfaces, etc. things we already do differently.
opdenkamp / dushmaniac

Ok I've done everything exactly how it´s described by Dush, but my problem is how do I install the necessary drivers for my Tv card or usb Stick? I know where to get them in the Wiki, but how do I install them?
@zenman:
have a look here: http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/User_Information
opdenkamp / dushmaniac

"Install the Tevii s660 Drivers

1) Download drivers (check these are the latest here)
wget http://tevii.com/100315 _Beta_linux_tevii_ds3000.rar
2) install nano
sudo apt-get install nano
3) install unrar
sudo apt-get install unrar
4) Extract drivers
unrar e 100315_Beta_linux_tevii_ds3000.rar
4) open the Readme
sudo nano README
5) Follow the Readme instructions:
sudo cp *.fw /lib/firmware
sudo tar xjvf linux-tevii-ds3000.tar.bz2