[AppleTV2] Play media from PC to ATV2 4.2.1
Hey guys, i have an Apple TV 2G on 4.2.1, jailbroken and with latest version of XBMC on both ATV2 and laptop and i really looked hard before posting this but i can't see any tuto's on how to stream files from my PC to my ATV2. I've setup my library on my PC but i dont know how to stream files from my library to my ATV2, please help
You have to share out the folder on your PC with your media on it. Then in XBMC when you go into Videos etc, you have to "Add Source" and browse to that share on your PC.

One of the options when you choose "Browse" is "SMB Network" (or something like that). That's how you'd find your PC to add the shared folder with your media files in it.
Yes, i did that but for some sort of weird reason, everytime i try to connect from my apple TV it sayd connection refused. I have allowed the XMBC srver access in sharing center in Windows 7, but it still can't connect
If this is related to the "Microsoft Live Sign-in Assistant" issue with samba, then the next release should have this fixed. Until then, disable Microsoft Live Sign-in Assistant on your Windows 7 Box.
It's not, i don't use samba, also i uninstalled windows live 2011 and i still get a connection refused. I have no idea why. I have the device enabled in windows sharing settings

Edit: Tha hell with all this headache giving BS! I found a much simpler way for anyone to stream media to their ATV2. Install a program called PS3 Media Server (Link below) This is the program i used to stream files from my PC to my PS3, as i just figured out, it works great for ATV also. Its simple, easy to install, there is no fuss, no errors, no nothing, it just works, its multi-platform so nobody is left behind, there are no isses with 64bit OS' no issued with anything else. I installed it on 3 PCs flawlessly.

http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/downloads/list

Youre welcome! Smile
I am having the same issue with samba.. weird thing is I have xbmc for osx and it works fine there..
Do yo uhave instructions on setting up ps3mediaserver with XBMC ? I searched and the instructions on the site are sparse.. not sure if you have any pointers for the setup.

Thanks
polish_pat Wrote:It's not, i don't use samba, also i uninstalled windows live 2011 and i still get a connection refused. I have no idea why. I have the device enabled in windows sharing settings

Edit: Tha hell with all this headache giving BS! I found a much simpler way for anyone to stream media to their ATV2. Install a program called PS3 Media Server (Link below) This is the program i used to stream files from my PC to my PS3, as i just figured out, it works great for ATV also. Its simple, easy to install, there is no fuss, no errors, no nothing, it just works, its multi-platform so nobody is left behind, there are no isses with 64bit OS' no issued with anything else. I installed it on 3 PCs flawlessly.

http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/downloads/list

Youre welcome! Smile

It's upnp based.

You could have read the wiki and found out that there are even more of them ...

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=UPn...diaServers
That's just another service running on your host taking up CPU cycles and memory. The power in solutions such as XBMC is that it can connect to the native file sharing protocol on Windows boxes.

Of course, with the first release of XBMC of iOS, expect some kinks to need working out.

For those who want to keep another service from cluttering up their system and are having issues connecting to your shared folder on your computer. Try accessing that computer via IP address. There's another thread on this forum that some users reported connecting via IP solved the problem for them.

You can watch my video on how to create a video source to a network destination from XBMC here:

How to add SMB/Network source to XBMC

Hope it helps.

-Dazex
Another thing to check for in Windows 7 Sharing Center is that you have password sharing turned off (otherwise it would require a password/username). And just to be sure when setting the share up in the folder properties make sure to add the user Everybody to the permissions table (with full access assuming you trust everyone on your network). I find that sometimes if you don't put Everybody in there it can screw with remote folder access from non-Windows systems.
@kimsharma It's not complicated, just go into sharing settings and point it out to the folder(s) containing your media and thats it. Remember to install as service if you want to to start with windows

@dazex You must be kidding me right? Have you even checked how much memory it uses before being a smartass and posting senceless crap on forum to try and look smart? Well it takes a HUGE 15mb of memory when its not streaming. WOW...big f***** deal, unless yourve got a P1 233mhz with 64mb of ram, its not gonna lag the system in any way
Hey guys. Any help would be great!
I have XBMC set up on my ATV2 and am trying to get my pictures and music folder added to i dont have to go back to ATV when i want to view or listen to music.
When I go into "pictures" from the main menu of XBMC and then "add source" I cant see my computer files within that folder....So i cant look at my pictures that are stored on my computer. How can i do this?
My computer folders are all set to "share" i just cant seem to get my computer files up on XBMC.....
Thanks in advance
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Add...ia_Sources ?
Set Up
Raspberry Pi running Raspbmc - XBMC 12.2
40" Samsung ES6800 LED Smart 3D 1080P TV
Onkyo HTS3405 5.1 DD True HD and DTS-HD Surround Sound
ReadyNAS Duo with 4TB (2 x 2TB X-RAID) Western Digital Caviar Green using NFS
simpleten Wrote:Hey guys. Any help would be great!
I have XBMC set up on my ATV2 and am trying to get my pictures and music folder added to i dont have to go back to ATV when i want to view or listen to music.
When I go into "pictures" from the main menu of XBMC and then "add source" I cant see my computer files within that folder....So i cant look at my pictures that are stored on my computer. How can i do this?
My computer folders are all set to "share" i just cant seem to get my computer files up on XBMC.....
Thanks in advance

When you are adding the source you will not see the files, only the folders. Just add the folder that contains the files and they will show up after you hit "Okay" and finish setting up the media source.
polish_pat Wrote:@kimsharma It's not complicated, just go into sharing settings and point it out to the folder(s) containing your media and thats it. Remember to install as service if you want to to start with windows

@dazex You must be kidding me right? Have you even checked how much memory it uses before being a smartass and posting senceless crap on forum to try and look smart? Well it takes a HUGE 15mb of memory when its not streaming. WOW...big f***** deal, unless yourve got a P1 233mhz with 64mb of ram, its not gonna lag the system in any way

Short term upnp will get you going, but it is ordinary with xbmc because it doesn't work with the library. You are better off getting smb working.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2] Play media from PC to ATV2 4.2.10