• 11(current)
[AppleTV2] HOW-TO to enable AC3 and DTS output for Apple TV 2
aarfing Wrote:I'm ready to help you test - no problem. Just tell me what to do, and I'll start sending you logs. Also, I'm new here so when you say AE, I'm guessing it's short for Audio Engine?

Correct, we need you to be on IRC for help.
DuMbGuM Wrote:It might do that until you have a certain amount of posts, some forums do.

I would like to help out but from what I understand from Keith's post you need a Mac connected to HDMI.

The only Mac I have is an old white Macbook which I only use for jailbreaking the aTV2 :p, my desktop machines are running Windows and Ubuntu, so unless I install Hackintosh I don't think I can help.

HDMI is not a requirement, optical audio is with a receiver tho that supports ac3/dts is tho.
Hi Keith, I'd like to offer testing as well.

I've got the following setup:
- latest nightly build (download 05/16/11)
- AppleTV -> HDMI -> Sony NX710 -> Optical out -> Sony Receiver
- AppleTV -> Optical out -> Sony Receiver (for airtunes)

With h264 mov's I have no problem with audio through HDMI or Optical/Coax. It's only with MKV files that I hear buzzing / clicking with both HDMI or Optical/Coax. Choosing Analog causes my ATV to crash.

I have tried various combinations of Analog, HDMI, and Optical/Coax, with and without DTS and AC3 enabled. Strangely enough, one of my combinations - I believe Analog with 2.0 setup was playing the MKV audio just fine. But when I exited XBMC and returned later, it stopped working.

Let me know if I can help at all. Thank you for working on this.
Hi Keith,

Some further info on this ... the MKV that has the audio problem uses AC3 6ch. After converting it to AAC 5.1, there's no problem. So it looks like the problem lies with the downsampling of the audio?
Just my 2 cents on the topic... It`s been 2 days that I have been struggling getting the ATV2 to work with XBMC with my Film library and I just nailed the last issue... AC3 5.1.

Hope this will help people around as this thread pops first in Google but the place I got the solution does not. Furthermore, the solution I found was not listed in this thread.

Set Up
Apple TV 2 with IOS 4.3.3
Jailbreaked with SeasonPass
XBMC 10.0-7
Using HDMI cable for sound.
Setup in 5.1
AC3 passthrough activated
Yamaha RXV-1600 as a receiver
Video used, M2TS with h.264 video and AC3 5.1 audio created using MeGUI and muxed using TSMuxer

With this setup, I was getting static noise like a lot of people and to solve the issue I followed this...
http://www.sinfuliphone.com/showthread.php?t=77544

Basically, I went in the Apple TV 2 Audio setting
Activated Dolby Digital (just in case as it was not)
Set to 16 Bit instead of Auto.
And it workes now.

Hope this will help some people, who like me never thought Apple TV general setting would impact XBMC.

Cheers
In addition to your post nainsurvolte I needed to set xbmc to HDMI output. You still get the optical out.

The option optical/coax did only output static for me.
I set up XBMC for optical out- AC3 and DTS- in the ATV2 XBMC settings menu.
Get a horrible sound in playback through my receiver.
If I go back and set for analog all is ok, using Dolby Prologic or any other setting (except of course it won't show Dolby Digital setting) on the receiver.
So,I went into the files as shown below.
I have never changed anything prior to this. Got in just fine.
I just installed XBMC last week.
For me, the "false" was already "true" in both lines.
Any suggestions? Is there something I need to set differently in XBMC on the ATV2 or in ATV2 itself . I set ATV2 to 16 bit just in case of a problem. I was using default. I was not having any difficulties with sound through TV or sound system, so I will put it back to auto.

Just tinkered around a bit in /var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC/userdata/guisettings.xml and flipped these two on, hoping it'd work, and it did:

In the <audiooutput> section, change "false" to "true" on the following entries:

<ac3passthrough>false</ac3passthrough>
<dtspassthrough>false</dtspassthrough>

I am now getting AC3 passed through from the SPDIF out to my 7.1 receiver. Overall video playback is also a lot smoother now that it's not downmixing to 2.0 audio it seems.
nainsurvolte Wrote:Just my 2 cents on the topic... It`s been 2 days that I have been struggling getting the ATV2 to work with XBMC with my Film library and I just nailed the last issue... AC3 5.1.

Hope this will help people around as this thread pops first in Google but the place I got the solution does not. Furthermore, the solution I found was not listed in this thread.

Set Up
Apple TV 2 with IOS 4.3.3
Jailbreaked with SeasonPass
XBMC 10.0-7
Using HDMI cable for sound.
Setup in 5.1
AC3 passthrough activated
Yamaha RXV-1600 as a receiver
Video used, M2TS with h.264 video and AC3 5.1 audio created using MeGUI and muxed using TSMuxer

With this setup, I was getting static noise like a lot of people and to solve the issue I followed this...
http://www.sinfuliphone.com/showthread.php?t=77544

Basically, I went in the Apple TV 2 Audio setting
Activated Dolby Digital (just in case as it was not)
Set to 16 Bit instead of Auto.
And it workes now.

Hope this will help some people, who like me never thought Apple TV general setting would impact XBMC.

Cheers

I too am getting the high pitched squeel when trying to turn on 5.1/DTS, Im on latest nightly & f/w seasoned etc. Have tried combinations and nowt works! I thought it was coz the new APi's in the new f/w were stil being developed for sound? I dont think this SSH effort is a hack as such, this xml file merely is where the XBMC gui stores its values, these can be changed in the settings/audio menu.
So where do u set to 16bit in normal ATV 2 menu? I can see the dolby digital out and set to auto/off/on but no 16 bit part...
nainsurvolte Wrote:Apple TV 2 with IOS 4.3.3

I think you meant iOS 4.3 (8F305) which runs Apple TV software 4.2.2.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_version...eration.29
trevez Wrote:I too am getting the high pitched squeel when trying to turn on 5.1/DTS, Im on latest nightly & f/w seasoned etc. Have tried combinations and nowt works! I thought it was coz the new APi's in the new f/w were stil being developed for sound? I dont think this SSH effort is a hack as such, this xml file merely is where the XBMC gui stores its values, these can be changed in the settings/audio menu.
So where do u set to 16bit in normal ATV 2 menu? I can see the dolby digital out and set to auto/off/on but no 16 bit part...

Trevez... the 16-bits option only appears in version 4.3 (8F305), the latest available.

Maybe you will have to restore/upgrade your ATV2 and JB it again to find the 16bits config...
jd2157 Wrote:I think you meant iOS 4.3 (8F305) which runs Apple TV software 4.3.3.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_version...eration.29

Your right, and if I look at the std apple TV information it says 4.2.2(2203), so I don't know where I got that 4.3.3 Confused

Quote:In addition to your post nainsurvolte I needed to set xbmc to HDMI output. You still get the optical out.

The option optical/coax did only output static for me.

Its possible, I only tried optical out after I was getting static from HDMI in my initial setup.

Trevez, this is straight out of the Audio/Video menu,

Most of the menu is in french, but I think it should be ordered the same in english...

If you don't have that option then it's possible that p_ghas is right and this option is in fact what fixed the static noise as mentioned in the hyperlink of my first post.
Side note, to whoever wish to go to 4.3 to fix Ac3 issue, you will need to follow this thread or else you will have video issues.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=97246

Just reinstalled everything, and it made me realized that I had a semi nightly build installed after all.
Can anyone help out with DTS/DD output?

I have followed all instructions to jailbreak the latest 4.2.2 ios and installed the latest nightly build Darwin 11.0.0.

Settings is as follows:

Audio Output: Optical/COax
Speaker Configuration : 5.1
Boost Voume level on downmix: Check
Dolby AC# capable receiver : Check
DTS capable Receiver : Check
Audio Output Device: Default

Apple TV settings:

Dobly Digital : On
Audio Output: 16 bit

The AppleTV is connected to a DTS/AC# capable receiver via optical and HDMI going to the TV and I still can get any audio output. Setting XBMC to Analog will give me sound but only stereo.

I tried reading through the previous posts and can't seem to find out where I went wrong.

Help!
Hi all,

AC3 and DTS are working fine with my setup, but some of my files have 5.1 AAC sound, which XBMC gives out as stereo unfortunately. Is there any way to get AAC 5.1 sound to my receiver (maybe as multi-channel-audio or so)?

Thanks!
I checked my settings files and the lines are set to "true" already, but all my 5.1 mp4's are coming through my receiver as stereo. They were fine on stock ATV2 OS. Anything I could try?
  • 11(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2] HOW-TO to enable AC3 and DTS output for Apple TV 21