• 16(current)
[AppleTV2] HOW-TO to enable AC3 and DTS output for Apple TV 2
deanmv Wrote:The first post of this thread was a year ago when this was first being implemented into XBMC and so there wasn't an option in the settings then but for now just use those, does the same thing.

Perfect.
Thanks.
nigal9981 Wrote:Do we have something new about the AC3 sound. As previous said I have also the ATV2 connected via optical to Sony STR DB930 receiver. It recognizes the AC3 but SILENT! No Sound at all.

I have tried all the above. If someone knows something I will apreciate a little bit help!

Thanks in advance.
Nikos

I tried again today on my DB930, on an ATV2 that had the 16 bit Audio option turned on. Still getting the silent treatment, but noticed that DTS works fine. Here's hoping the Audio Engine upgrade will land in 2012 and breathe 5.1 life back into my old amp.
As mentioned before those series of amps 930, 940 & even the 1070 will not work for ac3 sound out of the atv2 due to way the amp handles the incoming signal. It's an apple hardware issue so there is no chance of an xbmc work around.

I can however confirm that the Sony str-db1080 does work with the ac3 atv2 sound output as this amp has an extra option in the settings and also that the same quality is MUCH better than the 940!

All the setting does is allow to change the PCM decoding to auto and the 1080 works, set it back to PCM and ac3 is silent again set PCM back to auto and it works again, simple.

Guys give up on trying to get the 930 or 940 to work for ac3 it just can't do it with the atv2!
The str-db1080 is a much better sounding amp and goes for around 100 bucks on eBay and yes I got mine for that delivered.
Thanks mgc_bb. Not the news I was hoping for, but at least you've stopped me from spending any more weekends tinkering to no real effect!
Weirder still though, I've just confirmed that the DD5.1 Holophone Podcast will play correctly through Frontrow. This suggests to me that the Apple Hardware issue must be a stumbling block rather than an outright killer! All academic in any case though, as it just wont play nicely with XBMC and my old Str-DB930.

Maybe the Audio Engine upgrade will behave differently and 'fluke' a fix for me; will just need to wait it out.
hi Fergus,

Thats interesting indeed, well you never know mate it may one day get sorted but I guess its WAY down the to fix list so would take a while before it was even looked at

I spent four months before I finally gave in and changed my amp from the 940 to a 1080, after replacing a load of stuff with dts versions but still had a big list of stuff that just was not available in dts, looked at re encoding myself from ac3 to dts but it would take a LONG time to do all the stuff, then there are the tv shows mostly all again are in ac3

so as I say, gave in and changed and I'm so happy I did mate big difference in sound well worth spending the cash plus no more ac3 issue Wink

a word of warning, should you go for a str-db1080 at some point make sure it has its remote with it as your current 930 remote will not work, nor will any other remote that currently works with your 930 ie dvd remote etc as the remote codes/signals are all different for the 1080
Hmm there's lots of different settings to try here. If you're just running HDMI to your TV with no receiver, is there a recommended setting? I've noticed my new ATV2 is running at 100% CPU when playing video, hopefully messing with these settings can fix it.
ATV2 running XBMC Eden (Skin: Quartz3)
Windows 7 running XBMC Eden (custom setup as I'm basically running it as a service)
MySQL installed on Windows 7 for sharing libraries
iOS Specific FAQ | Alternative ATV2 keymap | Default ATV2 keymap
Post log files to Pastebin

akevit Wrote:Hmm there's lots of different settings to try here. If you're just running HDMI to your TV with no receiver, is there a recommended setting? I've noticed my new ATV2 is running at 100% CPU when playing video, hopefully messing with these settings can fix it.

These are audio settings which are built into the settings in XBMC now for people that use AC3 or DTS audio. I don't think it's going to fix any CPU issues and if your TV doesn't support AC3 or DTS then there wouldn't really be any point in turning it on as far as I know?
Set Up
Raspberry Pi running Raspbmc - XBMC 12.2
40" Samsung ES6800 LED Smart 3D 1080P TV
Onkyo HTS3405 5.1 DD True HD and DTS-HD Surround Sound
ReadyNAS Duo with 4TB (2 x 2TB X-RAID) Western Digital Caviar Green using NFS
deanmv Wrote:These are audio settings which are built into the settings in XBMC now for people that use AC3 or DTS audio. I don't think it's going to fix any CPU issues and if your TV doesn't support AC3 or DTS then there wouldn't really be any point in turning it on as far as I know?

It can reduce cpu pressure. Normally you would put the output to HDMI and deactivate the AC3 and DTS. This gives the highest cpu load because atv2 has to decode any ac3 and dts data and convert it to pcm stereo. Most TVs understand AC3 and do the mixdown by themself. In that case it can reduce CPU pressure when you activate the AC3 option.

In that case all AC3 data is passed through to the TV which nearly needs no CPU. Also DTS streams are "reframed" to AC3. So your TV gets AC3 for AC3 and DTS sources.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Memphiz Wrote:It can reduce cpu pressure. Normally you would put the output to HDMI and deactivate the AC3 and DTS. This gives the highest cpu load because atv2 has to decode any ac3 and dts data and convert it to pcm stereo. Most TVs understand AC3 and do the mixdown by themself. In that case it can reduce CPU pressure when you activate the AC3 option.

In that case all AC3 data is passed through to the TV which nearly needs no CPU. Also DTS streams are "reframed" to AC3. So your TV gets AC3 for AC3 and DTS sources.

Ah! Thanks for the explanation Smile
Set Up
Raspberry Pi running Raspbmc - XBMC 12.2
40" Samsung ES6800 LED Smart 3D 1080P TV
Onkyo HTS3405 5.1 DD True HD and DTS-HD Surround Sound
ReadyNAS Duo with 4TB (2 x 2TB X-RAID) Western Digital Caviar Green using NFS
Memphiz Wrote:This will get you go:

Apple TV > Settings > Audio & Video > Audio Output and set it to "16 bit"

Its a setting in the AppleTV itself - not XBMC ...

not work for me

ATV2 4.3 - hdmi - tv
tried on eden rc2 and beta2
Seems this thread was started before Eden. Just curious on the settings. I have a Marantz AV7005, the ATV2 is plugged into this via HDMI. A few Qs:

1. Do I need to plug the audio in via an optical cable to get 5.1 or just select HDMI in the Audio Output settings and DD/DTS capable receiver below that?
2. Do I need to adjust the settings on the Apple software at all? I currently have it set to 16 bit output and "Auto" for DD.

I can't seem to get 5.1 at all. If I use HDMI only, I seem to get PCM and it does 2/0/.0 which I assume means 2.0 downmix. Selecting the Optical only and adjusting the input signal on my processor to receive Digital audio from the Optical input shows PCM coming through but doesn't appear to tell me what it is (i.e., 5 channel or 2 channel).

Trying the new Harry Potter movie as the feed which I assume would be 5.1.

Edit: Looking at the manual for the AV7005, it would seem I'm receiving a 2CH PCM stream even when it just shows "PCM" per my comment above given the types of surround modes that are available to select (i.e., I can select Neural which shouldn't be available if this was a multi-ch PCM stream).
just connect via hdmi, and set ac3/dts capable receiver. set atv2 setting to 16bit output ... that should do it...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
Get PCM 2.0 if I log in straight from HDMI as you mention above. Have tried about 15 different streamed movies at this point. Will try to see if I can go to that Youtube cut of the DolbyDigital stuff..

Edit: Just tried a Dolby Digital 5.1 clip from Youtube, and a DTS (Piano) intro that is supposed to be 5.1. Same result, PCM 2.0.
post a log file. Have you set your speaker setup to 5.1 aswell in XBMC audio settings?
  • 16(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2] HOW-TO to enable AC3 and DTS output for Apple TV 21