• 5(current)
[AppleTV2] HOW-TO to enable AC3 and DTS output for Apple TV 2
jkbrowne Wrote:Also, does anyone know what does the mode setting actually does? Does it equate to something in the UI?

yea, i found out it relates to 0=analog, 1=optical, 2=hdmi? 1 and 2 might be reverse, im not sure
Is there anyway to passthrough with optical but not HDMI? My roommate doesn't want to use the surround while watching TV shows (I don't know why) and just use the TVs built in.

We have the ATV connected to the TV with HDMI and optical to the receiver. With passthrough turned on the TV speakers just give a second of static then no sound because it can't decode ac3 or dts. The receiver gives perfect 5.1 sound as it should.

Now I know just enough of programing to get into trouble but I think I can add this to the guidesettings.xml file under the <audiooutput> headding:
Code:
<ac3passthrough>false</ac3passthrough>
        <audiodevice>HDMI</audiodevice>
        <channellayout>7</channellayout>
        <dontnormalizelevels>true</dontnormalizelevels>
        <dtspassthrough>false</dtspassthrough>
        <mode>2</mode>
        <passthroughaac>false</passthroughaac>
        <passthroughmp1>false</passthroughmp1>
        <passthroughmp2>false</passthroughmp2>
        <passthroughmp3>false</passthroughmp3>
I am using bkim's post about the <mode>2</mode> applying to HDMI and keeping passthrough off. I also changed <audiodevice>Default Output Device</audiodevice> to <audiodevice>HDMI</audiodevice>. Before I go breaking things can one of the more experienced users let me know if this may work?
I built a new build of XBMC which has DTS and AC3 under display options. Now I'm having issues where ac3 audio cuts out with surround. Stereo is fine.

Just a heads up if anyone else has this problem.

My build is here if anyone wants to test:
http://music.hadm.net/~keith/xbmc_atv2/
meshuga Wrote:I built a new build of XBMC which has DTS and AC3 under display options. Now I'm having issues where ac3 audio cuts out with surround. Stereo is fine.

Just a heads up if anyone else has this problem.

My build is here if anyone wants to test:
http://music.hadm.net/~keith/xbmc_atv2/

There were no changes to audio code so this is strange.
i tried your instructions, but couldn't get the new build to show up
nvm, i restarted atv2, and it worked (saw the new ac3/dts settings). unfortunately i still couldnt get ac3 or dts to work. i think the problem is that the audio isn't being properly outputted by atv2 through the optical connection. i dont know how i got it to work once, but it did with dts showing up on receiver.. meaning that there's some way to make it happen. I think the key might be adding the option to change the default audio device.
Only thing I haven't tried is setting mode to 1 in case they are switched. I can get a crackling pop or two like the ac3 is being passed then it switches to dpl2. I'm connected hdmi to my tv then optical out the tv to my amp. Anyone any ideas?
I get the same static, but i definatly head the audio in the background.
Don't know if this helps...
OK.. Now i am really confused... This solution has never worked for me, always got static, but while XBMC was running, i unplugged the optical cable (by accident), plugged it back in, and now i get 5.1 workingHuh

Go figure...

But then i quit XBMC and restarted it, and i get the stuttering video, which i haven't experienced before.. I think i'll re-jailbreak and see how it goes..
Trying out this new build - firstly, kudos - its fast and gets rid of most of the ui lag. Also like the fact that it exits rather than giving standby optinos.

Enabled the new menu items, even replugged the hdmi, and no multichannel.
I assume the guisettings tags don't need editing if you have the build with the settings in the frontend? Because it still won't work through hdmi - tries t pass it through then gives up after two popping sounds.
Just adding to this:
Under Settings -> General -> About mine shows software version 4.0 (I can't remember if that's firmware 4.0 or not)
I enabled the passthrough for AC3 and DTS but no change. I'm using the audio out over optical (set to optical in settings) and I did not hear any pops or anything, but it is only passing stereo still. Great find though, I think it requires a newer firmware for this to work so hopefully they'll have that untethered really soon.
Right well I'm now getting the static when trying to use ac3 passthrough over hdmi. I'm going to look into changing guisettings tmrw. I feel like we are ever so close and it really would be the final thing which would basically see me using xbmc over the stock iOS. I'll also double check my firmware revision but seas0npass downloaded the latest as far as I'm aware so I don't think that should be an issue
Ok tried the latest testing build and everything smooth apart from the static on ac3. The guisettings file has vanished. Also by turning off surround the iplayer seems to work properly...
Sounds like your receiver is not negotiating properly.
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2] HOW-TO to enable AC3 and DTS output for Apple TV 21