• 3(current)
[AppleTV2] HOW-TO to enable AC3 and DTS output for Apple TV 2
Thanks for this tip - worked first time for me.
Not for me, i Tried everything up to New restore. what is the Mystery? Come on Team, Release an update with this activated, please
bruienne Wrote:Nope, still have the UI feedback click when navigating with passthrough enabled. My Denon AVR-2805 only kicks into DD or DTS mode when content with it is played back, otherwise it is in 2.0 mode.

HTH.

Mmmmhhh strange... Mine also kicks in DD only when playback, but the ui feedback is not there any more?
jhonny30 Wrote:Mmmmhhh strange... Mine also kicks in DD only when playback, but the ui feedback is not there any more?

I never had UI feedback but AC3/DTS works perfectly.
I enabled the AC3 and DTS passthrough as described in the first post and I get static audio. It might be good if people post what their configuration is that is either working or not working. I am wondering if it's a bug in OS 4.0 that is not allowing AC3 and DTS to passthrough. I am hesitant to update to the latest version of the OS as I am not a fan of tethered jailbreaks.

So for me.

Config
OS 4.0
Connected via HDMI to a Dennon reciever.
Result=Lots of Static audio
My setup:

ATV2 OS 4.1.1 (iOS 4.2.1) - installed XBMC with apt after adding the proper repos, did not use Nito TV.
SPDIF to Denon AVR-2805
Plays back DD and DTS, as well as multichannel AAC (comes up as DD on receiver)

HTH.
Atv2 with newest ios (4.1.1) and atvflash black. Installed xbmc through maintenance and i get DD since i rewrote this file like described.
I bet though that we wil get a update soon...
DN38416 Wrote:I might try restoring and re-jailbreaking my ATV2.. see if that fixes my issue. I might try updating to 4.1.1 firmware too. I may have messed around with too many settings.

To you guys who have it working... What firmware are you on?

I found the solution to our problems...

For <channellayout>7</channellayout>

Change it to 5. Make sure you're doing this while exitted out of xbmc.

DTS now properly shows up on my receiver Big Grin
Make sure that you indicate which atv2 os this works on or does not. Just so everyone uses the same notation.

4.3bx

those are the versions, what shows in atv2 GUI is something else.
ATV2 OS 4.1.1 (iOS 4.2.1) - installed XBMC with apt after adding the proper repos

-> Changed two XML entries to true
-> Set Speaker Setup to 5.1
-> Output to Coax

Works great!

Peter
davilla Wrote:Make sure that you indicate which atv2 os this works on or does not. Just so everyone uses the same notation.

4.3bx

those are the versions, what shows in atv2 GUI is something else.

When checking what firmware or IOS version you are running from the aTV2. Pressing the center button will toggle between firmware -> IOS ->something else, I forget.

-Dazex
OS Build 4.2.1
Software version 4.1.1
Changed both lines in guisettings.xml
Audio output HDMI
Speakers set to 5.1
HDMI cable connected to Sony amp

Works fine!
Hardware/Software
Apple TV v4.1.1 Build 1553 (iOS v4.2.1)
XBMC v10.0 (Installed via apt-get)
Denon AVR-890
HDMI Audio (No Coax/SPDIF)

guisettings.xml
ac3passthrough = changed to "true"
dtspassthrough = changed to "true"
channellayout = left unchanged (value was "7" for my 5.1 setup)

I had the same bad stereo downmix problem as everyone else where FL+FR=FR and RR+RL=FL when playing AC3/DTS .mkv files with stock installation. After changing guisettings.xml as bruienne suggested, passthrough works beautifully on a handful of MKV files I've spot tested (all DTS, not sure if I have any AC3 to test or not).

This fixed my only major issue discovered so far with XBMC on iOS, great post!
bkim Wrote:I found the solution to our problems...

For <channellayout>7</channellayout>

Change it to 5. Make sure you're doing this while exitted out of xbmc.

DTS now properly shows up on my receiver Big Grin

Awesome!
Thanks mate I'll give it a try.

At the moment I'm trying to re-jailbreak it. I restored it last night and now I keep getting errors in iTunes for some reason.. it's driving me nuts.
dazex Wrote:When checking what firmware or IOS version you are running from the aTV2. Pressing the center button will toggle between firmware -> IOS ->something else, I forget.

-Dazex

you are %100 correct. pressing the center button toggles between software version, software build and OS Build version. i show (in same order) 4.1.1, 1553 and 4.2.1 (8c154)
iOS XBMC users PLEASE use the advanced search function before starting a new thread. Make sure to click on 'XBMC for iOS Specific Support' so your results are narrowed down correctly.

Please make sure to visit the Sticky section for common issues/questions/etc. Also, XBMC for iOS information
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2] HOW-TO to enable AC3 and DTS output for Apple TV 21