• 4(current)
[AppleTV2] HOW-TO to enable AC3 and DTS output for Apple TV 2
bkim Wrote:I found the solution to our problems...

For <channellayout>7</channellayout>

Change it to 5. Make sure you're doing this while exitted out of xbmc.

DTS now properly shows up on my receiver Big Grin

Bummer.. didn't work for me Sad

All it does is change the speaker config to 4.0 instead of 5.1
DN38416 Wrote:Bummer.. didn't work for me Sad

All it does is change the speaker config to 4.0 instead of 5.1

try these settings:

<audiooutput>
<ac3passthrough>true</ac3passthrough>
<audiodevice>Default Output Device</audiodevice>
<channellayout>5.1</channellayout>
<dontnormalizelevels>false</dontnormalizelevels>
<dtspassthrough>true</dtspassthrough>
<mode>1</mode>
<passthroughaac>false</passthroughaac>
<passthroughmp1>false</passthroughmp1>
<passthroughmp2>false</passthroughmp2>
<passthroughmp3>false</passthroughmp3>
</audiooutput>

it mite also help if i told u that mine's connected through both hdmi and optical, with the sound using the digital optical setting. make sure xbmc is not on when you're saving the settings
No go for me....

Hardware/Software
Apple TV v4.1.1 Build 1553 (iOS v4.2.1)
XBMC v10.0 (Installed via apt-get)
Denon AVR-2700
SPDIF (optical) from ATV2 to the receiver

guisettings.xml
ac3passthrough = changed to "true"
dtspassthrough = changed to "false" (no DTS on the AVR-2700)
channellayout = left unchanged (value was "7" for my 5.1 setup)

This did not work for me. When playing any MKV file (tried a-bunch) with AC3 audio, I get one or two "click" or "pop" sounds then silence. Movie plays with no audio and receiver remains in Pro Logic mode. It should switch to DD mode when playing these files.

So apparantly this fix does not work for everyone. The question is why? One difference with my setup is my receiver does not support DTS. Maybe that's the variable?

:-(
jkbrowne Wrote:No go for me....

Hardware/Software
Apple TV v4.1.1 Build 1553 (iOS v4.2.1)
XBMC v10.0 (Installed via apt-get)
Denon AVR-2700
SPDIF (optical) from ATV2 to the receiver

guisettings.xml
ac3passthrough = changed to "true"
dtspassthrough = changed to "false" (no DTS on the AVR-2700)
channellayout = left unchanged (value was "7" for my 5.1 setup)

This did not work for me. When playing any MKV file (tried a-bunch) with AC3 audio, I get one or two "click" or "pop" sounds then silence. Movie plays with no audio and receiver remains in Pro Logic mode. It should switch to DD mode when playing these files.

So apparantly this fix does not work for everyone. The question is why? One difference with my setup is my receiver does not support DTS. Maybe that's the variable?

:-(

try connecting with the optical cable instead... and change the channellayout to "5.1" in the xml
Well I figured out my problem. It was the firmware. (At least, I think it was)
I updated to the latest one 4.2.1 (4.1.1 whichever it is) and it worked!

Only problem is it's a tethered jailbreak... absolute pain in the ass Sad
I had to move my pc over to the tv to do it... so annoying, but it paid off in the end Smile

EDIT: BTW.. I'm connected via HDMI and it's fine. channellayout was left on 7.
DN38416 Wrote:Well I figured out my problem. It was the firmware.
I updated to the latest one 4.2.1 (4.1.1 whichever it is) and it worked!

Only problem is it's a tethered jailbreak... absolute pain in the ass Sad
I had to move my pc over to the tv to do it... so annoying, but it paid off in the end Smile

Why wouldn't u move the AppleTV to the computer :S
because then i'd have to unplug it to get it back to the tv and it would lose the jailbreak..

or am I missing something?
just got back from work, turned on my atv2, and i get the static problem again. Huh tried checking the settings and they were still the same as when i left it. the channellayout solution must've not been a true solution. Is there anyway to delete all xbmc related stuff from atv2 and reinstall it again?
DN38416 Wrote:because then i'd have to unplug it to get it back to the tv and it would lose the jailbreak..

or am I missing something?

Very good point, I'm use to iPhone tether where there's batteries.
PainToad Wrote:Very good point, I'm use to iPhone tether where there's batteries.

Yeah that helps.
I was considering getting a long power extension cord, but I was impatient.
I'm praying I don't have a power outage before a decent untethered jailbreak comes out.. Otherwise I'm gonna have to do all it all over again.

Anyways back on topic.. all my 5.1 .mkv's are working fantastic.

Is there any chance that in the future there will be a way to also play HD audio? eg. DTS MA, Dolby TrueHD?
I tried playing an mkv that has a DTS MA audio stream and it comes through as DTS through my receiver.
bkim Wrote:try connecting with the optical cable instead... and change the channellayout to "5.1" in the xml

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I was using the optical cable. And I've tried about every combination I can think of for channellayout, including 5.1. Unfortunately, this isn't working for me.
Has anyone gotten ac3/dts to work under 4.1 ? If not then those settings will get hidden if we detect runtime under 4.1 on atv2.
jkbrowne Wrote:Sorry, I wasn't clear. I was using the optical cable. And I've tried about every combination I can think of for channellayout, including 5.1. Unfortunately, this isn't working for me.

Not working for me either using optical. And if you put '5.1' into the XML for channellayout XBMC just overwrites it with '5' anyway, which displays in System Audio Output as '4.1' at that point. I've tried all combinations as well and still just receive static no matter what. If I have one or the other ac3/dts passthrough it'll just give the broken stereo again as per normal. Going into a vanilla Sony STR-K700 surround system. Surround works no problems in all other ATV1&2/Crystalbuntu/XBMC etc. combinations I've used to date. Gonna keep experimenting.
I spent a bit of time yesterday trying many permutations of audio settings via the xml file trying to get AC3 and DTS passthrough working under 4.1 to no avail. I went ahead and installed the current 4.1.1 OS and ran into the exact same static. I did notice that Mode was initially set to 0 when I reinstalled. I changed the mode to 2 and that mode no difference. I am going to try setting to mode 7 tonight to see if that makes a difference. Can somebody who has passthrough successfully enabled via HDMI tell me what their mode it is set to?

My Setup
OS tried both 3.1 and 3.1.1
Denon AVR391 reciever
HDMI audio output
Sound = noise when set to passthrough
LoneRebel Wrote:... I changed the mode to 2 and that mode no difference. I am going to try setting to mode 7 tonight to see if that makes a difference. Can somebody who has passthrough successfully enabled via HDMI tell me what their mode it is set to?

Also, does anyone know what does the mode setting actually does? Does it equate to something in the UI?
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2] HOW-TO to enable AC3 and DTS output for Apple TV 21