• 6(current)
[AppleTV2] HOW-TO to enable AC3 and DTS output for Apple TV 2
Thanks Meshuga,

That doesn't sound too far from the truth. It soudns like it isn't reconising the fact its a DD stream.

Does xbmc send anything to the receiver to tell it what to expect?

It is possible it is the fact its going through my tv's optical output as well, but it should all be simply passing a bitstream.
nikc0069 Wrote:Only thing I haven't tried is setting mode to 1 in case they are switched. I can get a crackling pop or two like the ac3 is being passed then it switches to dpl2. I'm connected hdmi to my tv then optical out the tv to my amp. Anyone any ideas?

This is exactly what I'm getting as well. A-couple of pops then silence (receiver remains in DPL2 mode). Seems like the receiver isn't understanding what's being output by XBMC. AC3 audio works fine when playing content from the standard ATV2 software so it's not an issue with my optical connection and it's not an issue with my receiver.

I'm confused as to why this works for some people and not for others. Has anyone considered the possibility that the ATV standard audio settings may be a factor in the equation? I'll probably try playing around with that next. Huh
I did consider this and have tried auto and dd, both to no avail!
Hi,

My Setup is:
OS Build 4.2.1
Software version 4.1.1
Pioneer VSX-1016V
Audio Via Optical

Tried all variations in the audio section of the .xml to no avail.
If I have DTS enabled I get static, if I just enable AC3 I get stuttering and choppy audio in stereo.

My amp never switches into a surround mode and just stays in stereo, although with all other kit I watch it kick into the right surround mode for the media playing

Hope someone figures this out so everyone can have surround sound but just got to say top work on the builds guys! I'm mega impressed, read about the release last friday, my ATV2 arrived Monday and been loving it ever sinceBig Grin

Keep up the great work!
NIKC0069 Wrote:Only thing I haven't tried is setting mode to 1 in case they are switched. I can get a crackling pop or two like the ac3 is being passed then it switches to dpl2. I'm connected hdmi to my tv then optical out the tv to my amp. Anyone any ideas?

I have the same setup as you. Audio out HDMI, then optical from TV to receiver. I also get the same issue. couple of pops and crackles then no sound.

This is only with AC3, DTS works fine but the audio output is from the wrong speakers like everyone else.
After having similar problems with my ps3, I think the static might be a result of xbmc not properly bitstreaming. Is there any way to force bitstreaming in the guisettings?
Tried optical straight into my receiver-one pop and then dd kicks in. Looks like those going through a tv are being recompressed into PCM. Which would return static noise.

Ordered a £6.50 optical to coax adapter - problem solved!
nikc0069 Wrote:Tried optical straight into my receiver-one pop and then dd kicks in.

You're lucky. I go straight out of the ATV2 optical & direct into my Sony amp/receiver and get nothing but static. Still experimenting.
ddingle Wrote:You're lucky. I go straight out of the ATV2 optical & direct into my Sony amp/receiver and get nothing but static. Still experimenting.

same here. im gonna try using the toslink-coaxial adapter
Should we start talking about setups that do work to find a commonality?

Receiver: JVC RX-D412
Input: HDMI only
output to tv: HDMI

Works flawlessly. Sometimes when I turn on the TV (if video is still playing) it 'flaps' enables and disables DD sound fairly rapidly.

I have never used the Optical in, but it seems like a fair amt of people who have are having problems. I'll try to find my optical cable later and test it out.
Sad 
ddingle Wrote:You're lucky. I go straight out of the ATV2 optical & direct into my Sony amp/receiver and get nothing but static. Still experimenting.

Same here... optical connection direct from ATV2 to Sony AV receiver. I hear a brief click of static for DTS and DD and then get a "Decode Error" message shown on the AV receiver screen.

I also have XBMC running on PC connected via optical to same Sony AV receiver with no problems.

I also have tried a complete restore and jb with only installed xbmc, but still no DTS or DD.
-----
I don't own a AppleTV2 (yet, maybe! Tongue) but just want to ask you guys.
I tried to hook up my Macbook Pro via HDMI to my TV and pass the sound to my AV via optical out. It works partially, as I can hear the background sound effects, but not the people speaking. As I dont have a adaptor from 3,5mm jack to optical, I can't test if the problem is solved, when connecting the MBP directly to the AV.

Is this the same problem you guys are experiencing with the ATV2? Kinda puzzled, if I should give it a try or not, because of this problem :/
With optical to coax adapter, one pop then receiver picks up ac3 Smile

Need to switch to analog for iplayer or icefilms plugins to stream normal speed though
I had the same problem:

The problem with the clicking once or twice and then nothing is NOT the apple TV (most of the time) it is your Receiver !

After hours of trying I figured out, that the Apple TV does not send just DTS and AC3 but rather a bitsream some receivers can't decode.

So you need to go into settings of your receiver and tell it to wait for the triggersignal (in most cases for "input" you can try to set it on "auto") - DO NOT SET YOUR RECEIVER ON A CERTAIN KIND OF SIGNAL - just let it do its work when thrown an audio signal at it.

(with denon you can just press the "signal" button when on the right source -> flip it through until you see "auto" -> you're good to go)

Hope that helps
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2] HOW-TO to enable AC3 and DTS output for Apple TV 21