• 15(current)
[AppleTV2] HOW-TO to enable AC3 and DTS output for Apple TV 2
I think I had scratching until I enabled 16bit audio, then I just had the initial noise then nothing. This linked to the wiki post and changing the mode on my receiver fixed it.

Nick
klaus1013 Wrote:I think I had scratching until I enabled 16bit audio, then I just had the initial noise then nothing. This linked to the wiki post and changing the mode on my receiver fixed it.

Nick

i had the same, scratching etc until i enabled 16 bit then both worked wicked as! finally get dolby and DTS thru my system after all these years lol.

my setup

ATV 2, seasonpass jailbreak 4.4.3, latest night build of XBMC.

Apple TV -> NEC 42" Plasma via HDMI
Apple TV -> LG receiver via optical

Apple TV settings:
DolbyDigital .... Auto
Audio Output ... 16 Bit

XBMC settings:
Audio Output ....... Optical/Coaxial
Speaker .............. 5.1
Volume Downmix ... No
-Reciever Capable AC3 .... YES
-Reciever Capable DTS .... YES
Audio Output Device ... Default

once i changed to 16 bit it worked, little icons come up on the receiver now for Dolby and DTS
Another setup fixed by enabling 16bit audio.
The only thing that worked for me was enabling this in avancedsettings:

<audiooutput>
<ac3passthrough>true</ac3passthrough>
<audiodevice>Default Output Device</audiodevice>
<channellayout>5.1</channellayout>
<dontnormalizelevels>false</dontnormalizelevels>
<dtspassthrough>true</dtspassthrough>
<mode>1</mode>
<passthroughaac>false</passthroughaac>
<passthroughmp1>false</passthroughmp1>
<passthroughmp2>false</passthroughmp2>
<passthroughmp3>false</passthroughmp3>
</audiooutput>
Fixed with the same 16Bit trick as everyone else. Setup in sig and all done using HDMI cables, get a little DD logo on the front of receiver so thats all good!
Set Up
Raspberry Pi running Raspbmc - XBMC 12.2
40" Samsung ES6800 LED Smart 3D 1080P TV
Onkyo HTS3405 5.1 DD True HD and DTS-HD Surround Sound
ReadyNAS Duo with 4TB (2 x 2TB X-RAID) Western Digital Caviar Green using NFS
I tried using the 16-bit audio setting and I'm still having problems with scratchy audio when playing 5.1 .mkv files.

This is my setup:

Apple TV 2 ---HDMI--- Vizio TV ---Optical--- Logitech 5.1 Surround System

Whenever I play stereo files, it works fine. If I play Netflix through Apple TV, 5.1 works great and my Logitech system detects Dolby Digital properly.

Whenever I plays .mkv files through XBMC, my Logitech system does not detect Dolby Digital and just plays scratchy audio.

Any ideas for what I can try?
Excuse my ignorance here (BUT!), if my Amp displays all the right symbols when playing back AC3 and DTS and its sounds ok am I good to go?
D-an-W Wrote:Excuse my ignorance here (BUT!), if my Amp displays all the right symbols when playing back AC3 and DTS and its sounds ok am I good to go?

I would assume that if the amp is displaying the DD or DTS logo then that is what it is receiving from the source so I would say you're good! To test you could always get the DD test thing that they put in front of some films (e.g. Blu-Ray version of The Art Of Flight or just found this website that lets you download them http://www.demolandia.net/vob-trailers/d...gital.html)
Set Up
Is there any DD-podcast, testfile etc. out there which i can test from FrontRow if it puts 5.1 out?
Philips TV with Kodi 20.2 with IPTV --- Orbsmart 500 Android 21 alpha/beta as Online-radio/TV in the kitchen
I have the Apple TV connected via optical to a sony receiver. STR-DB830
DTS works
AC3 is shown on display, but audio is silent

I have tried all the above settings.

enabled 16 bit etc. etc.

I also tried this:

dedu Wrote:The only thing that worked for me was enabling this in avancedsettings:

<audiooutput>
<ac3passthrough>true</ac3passthrough>
<audiodevice>Default Output Device</audiodevice>
<channellayout>5.1</channellayout>
<dontnormalizelevels>false</dontnormalizelevels>
<dtspassthrough>true</dtspassthrough>
<mode>1</mode>
<passthroughaac>false</passthroughaac>
<passthroughmp1>false</passthroughmp1>
<passthroughmp2>false</passthroughmp2>
<passthroughmp3>false</passthroughmp3>
</audiooutput>

Does anybody know where I can find descriptions about those settings??
What does "mode" mean?

However no success. DTS works fine. AC3 is recognized, but silent.

Any help is appreciated.
After some testing i found out that my ATV2 is playing AC3 from Plex-MediaServer AND my Reciever is switching to AC3. So no HW-fault.

After that i loaded XBMC (same ATV2 Settings) and played the same file over SMB. Now the Reciever is switching to AC3, too (for the first time in ATV2XBMC), but no sound and stuttering movie. The same file plays smooth with ananog-sound output.
And yes, i tried "16-bit" AND DolbyDigital "On" and "Auto" in Lowtide.
If I should provide a debug log, pls let me know.

Maybe the XBMC-Devs can ask the Plex-Guys how they put out "correct" AC3? Rolleyes
Philips TV with Kodi 20.2 with IPTV --- Orbsmart 500 Android 21 alpha/beta as Online-radio/TV in the kitchen
plex transcodes any video/audio ... they do a completly different thing then xbmc where most work is done on the pc and not atv2 itself ... i doubt we can take something from them in that case ... first link in my sig ... provide the mediainfo and xbmc.log
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Do we have something new about the AC3 sound. As previous said I have also the ATV2 connected via optical to Sony STR DB930 receiver. It recognizes the AC3 but SILENT! No Sound at all.

I have tried all the above. If someone knows something I will apreciate a little bit help!

Thanks in advance.
Nikos
How is this any different then just changing the settings in the interface? How this thread out of date with the imminent release of Eden?

Thanks.
rcrh Wrote:How is this any different then just changing the settings in the interface? How this thread out of date with the imminent release of Eden?

Thanks.

The first post of this thread was a year ago when this was first being implemented into XBMC and so there wasn't an option in the settings then but for now just use those, does the same thing.
Set Up
  • 15(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2] HOW-TO to enable AC3 and DTS output for Apple TV 21