unRAID Server (Video Explanation)
Check post #42 those links work.

Luca
(2011-01-23, 22:54)eskro Wrote: Look ashlar, if unRAID is not what your need, then its not what you need,,,,

most of us like to have a dedicated NAS Rig just to hold our DATA...

Everybody works different....

If it suits your need, then your happy, and everybody's happy....
For most SOHO having budget limitations, I always make it as such that the file server can reside in one "main" Workstation instead of a dedicated box on the local net. It's as easy to manage, and in terms of security you can get the same level (and if someone is able to physically break-in, a NAS box is more easy and fast to unplug/carry than a desktop Workstation/File server). Even though it would imply to buy another PCIe controller (which is cheaper than a NAS enclosure).

Again and as you said in other words, to each context its specific requirements, there's no such thing as a Universal "one-size fits all" - except for communists, and for Eaton's man wear clothing division XD. Since I also build those machines, I can make sure that there's also some way to secure the chassis (by selecting the correct one, simple enough). But, exactly for that same matter of maintaining a "lean" budget... unRAID is actually quite seductive. Nowadays, it looks very stable. And from one of the clips that are linked, in 2009 the "current release" version allowed for up to 16 physical drives, whereas the beta version was for 19 drives (I don't know what those numbers are today - couldn't find them -, bust still, it says a lot about versatility for small and tiny organization solutions - the size of such "organization" being measured in terms of storage capacity requirements).
My Unraid server sits quietly under my desk. I do not mind the fact that it is separate from my main computer... I actually prefer it. I also have a seperate Linux box running Plex and LCDProc, and then a seperate Windows 7 machine for ServerWMC and MCEBuddy. Sure, one day I can virtualize all of it...but for right now, this is cool.
|Kodi: Nvidia Shield 2019|Media Server: Unraid 40TB|TV Tuner: HDHR Prime|Server Apps: TVHeadend w/ Cablecard (FIOS), Plex (Kodi backend), Radarr, Sonarr
(2011-01-23, 11:04)eskro Wrote: Hi guys!
I know this might not be new for some of you,
but for those who don't know what unRAID is and how it works,
i'm sharing with you a set of videos that explains it all very clearly!!

Overview
Introduction
Step1 - The unRAID boot device
Step2 - Choosing hardware
Step3+4 - hardware installation
Step5+6 - Boot and initialize your unRAID
Step7 - Expand the array
Tips - Expanding your array
Step8 - Setting up user shares
Step9+10 - Final settings and enjoy
Tips - Show directory sizes
Viewer Question - unRAID crash recovery
Viewer Question - unRAID transfer speed
Viewer Question - Raid5 or unRAID with 3 drives

Hope this answers most questions about unRAID
and help your realize how unrivaled it is as storage solution!!!
Smile

why are the links pointing me at some road traffic cameras? would like to see the proper videos. tks
working links from post #42

2009 vintage.
Great videos - really useful. I'd been looking at FreeNAS but the inflexibility and cost regarding expanding the array really put me off. unRAID really solves that problem. Thanks.
(2014-11-17, 21:06)SheHateMe Wrote: My Unraid server sits quietly under my desk. I do not mind the fact that it is separate from my main computer... I actually prefer it. I also have a seperate Linux box running Plex and LCDProc, and then a seperate Windows 7 machine for ServerWMC and MCEBuddy. Sure, one day I can virtualize all of it...but for right now, this is cool.

Yep - I much prefer having my unRAID box separate to other systems. I have an unRAID server and a separate ESXi VM box in a cupboard. The VM box runs a couple of Ubuntu instances, a Sophos UTM firewall and a couple of Windows installs. The VM box has a couple of NICs in it, and I now run with a couple of VLANs.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
unRAID Server (Video Explanation)1