[AppleTV2] XBMC quits on playback of some files
Hi guys,

First post, sorry if this is a dumb question or has been posted elsewhere. I've searched everywhere possible for an answer before posting this so please be gentle.

To get the thing setup I went through all the FAQ's on the internet and finally got it working as guided - the XMBC wiki is great I must add and is a huge help! It's now working great too except for one little problem I can't get my head around.

Some files (2 of the 10 i've tried so far) don't really play nicely with the XMBC. Once clicking play on the file the movie will start for 1-2 seconds max and then drop straight back to the main Apple TV menu (not the XMBC menu).

FYI my setup is ATV2 > ethernet > NB6PLUS4W router > ReadyNAS Duo.

I've tried to pull up logs to post along with this but can't for the life of me figure out how to access them. If anyone can guide me to how to access the ATV2's file structure ill happily post the logs too.

Also, the videos play back perfectly on my macbook or through my PS3 so it's unlikely to be the fault of the media.

Any help that can be provided will be greatly appreciated. This minor hiccup is stopping me from having what would otherwise be a perfect setup. If I can't get this sorted I might have to revert to playing back my media on the PS3, which I don't want now that i've tasted XMBC Sad

Cheers

K.
About ready to take sledgehammer to ATV. Incredibly frustrating that I can't even work out how to get the logs out of the thing, let alone fix the problem. 6 hours wasted Sad
I have the same issue just with 720p content and the xbmc.log does not show anything since the app just crashes, so the log shows no info why, this also happens on 1080 p content. might the hardware be over heating ?
So far i've only had the problem with 2 files out of all the ones i've checked. Probably easier to just download another copy than deal with this s***.
Smile 
Hey,

I had a couple of videos that were also crashing the xbmc atv2. I haven't had a great deal of time to test the following, but the two movies that were crashing xbmc are now playing through. I did the following;

In the file - guisettings.xml -

changed <cachevideo>
<lan> - changed 1024 to 8192

changed <audiooutput>
<ac3passthrough>true</ac3passthrough>
<dtspassthrough>true</dtspassthrough>

Let me know how it goes.

LJ
kreuze Wrote:So far i've only had the problem with 2 files out of all the ones i've checked. Probably easier to just download another copy than deal with this s***.

You mean making another rip, right?
nu1mlock Wrote:You mean making another rip, right?

Yes of course. I would not dare to illegally obtain any video and rob billion dollar movie studios of the money they so desperately need...
ljman82 Wrote:Hey,

I had a couple of videos that were also crashing the xbmc atv2. I haven't had a great deal of time to test the following, but the two movies that were crashing xbmc are now playing through. I did the following;

In the file - guisettings.xml -

changed <cachevideo>
<lan> - changed 1024 to 8192

changed <audiooutput>
<ac3passthrough>true</ac3passthrough>
<dtspassthrough>true</dtspassthrough>

Let me know how it goes.

LJ

If I could access the Apple TV's file structure this would be great. I can't even do that. I know the Apple TV's IP address but its not helping me at all Sad
kreuze Wrote:If I could access the Apple TV's file structure this would be great. I can't even do that. I know the Apple TV's IP address but its not helping me at all Sad

but you must have access, else how did you install xbmcHuh
@kreuze, learn and understand how to use ssh and scp.

/private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/xbmc.log
/private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC

are interesting areas.
davilla Wrote:@kreuze, learn and understand how to use ssh and scp.

/private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/xbmc.log
/private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC

are interesting areas.

Yep, I know that's where the logs are. I can login to the ATV2 with Terminal but have absolutely no idea what to do when I get there. Any pointers on where I can get a good guide would be much appreciated (google wasn't much help).

If only I could somehow add the ATV2 to Finder like my NAS i'd be set.
kreuze Wrote:Yep, I know that's where the logs are. I can login to the ATV2 with Terminal but have absolutely no idea what to do when I get there. Any pointers on where I can get a good guide would be much appreciated (google wasn't much help).

If only I could somehow add the ATV2 to Finder like my NAS i'd be set.

facepalm.

Use an FTP program and SSH into the device that way to see the filetree. Try Cyberduck for mac.
Hardly worthy of a facepalm. In your circle of internet "friends" this type of stuff might be common knowledge but the real world is a different story pal Nerd

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2] XBMC quits on playback of some files0