[MOBILE] Good starting point for writing a XBMC remote control app for Sony Ericsson?
Question 
Greetings,
I've developed in Java, C#, and C++ for desktop x86 platforms, but have never done any development for mobile phones, so I thought it would be fun to try and write a remote control app for XBMC for my Sony Ericsson w910i.

For functionality, I'd like it to:
-send standard remote control events (basically replace the HID remote control functionality that comes with the Sony phones, like this thread here)
-browse music and play/pause a track
-see 'current track/video playing'

Before today I knew almost nothing about writing apps for mobile devices, so I just spent a some time trying to educate myself.
It seems for 'feature' phones (which as nearly as I can tell, my phone is categorized as), Java ME is probably the best bet, even though it is aging, like they say on Wikipedia. For 'smartphone's it seems android and symbian are the two major platforms.

So Java ME seems to be where I should look for my phone right now.

I've also looked through the XBMC wiki, and the forums, and it seems like I should attempt to communicate with XBMC via the newer JSON API (looks like the HTTP API is deprecated, and EventServer is a one way road, I can only pass input to XBMC), so the JSON is where it gets a little fuzzy for me. I found this, which looks like a list of API calls for interacting with XBMC, though I'm missing the larger context of how to connect to XBMC and pass these calls, etc. I've read this page in the wiki, and it sounds like JSON uses HTTP or raw TCP, which leads me to my next point of uncertainty:

how to connect to my XBMC PC via bluetooth; do I need to run the whole bluetooth PAN stuff so I can run IP on top of it for JSON? This is all wild speculation and I might be completely off. I'm comfortable with socket communication, etc, but I've never tried to use bluetooth as underlying transport layer.

So in summary, if anyone has any pointers or links to info that will help me generally get up to speed with JSON and Java ME, and more specifically get a good understanding of how to talk with XBMC via JSON, and how do this on top of bluetooth, I will be forever grateful:-)

Ah, I almost forgot, but if anyone knows of existing apps that do this or similar, please link them for me; I just didn't find much for 'feature' phones, though I did see the remote for android, which looked really slickSmile
So is no one developing for Java ME these days? Would it be better to develop on Android?

Does anyone know of a program similar to XBMC remote for android, that runs on feature phones?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[MOBILE] Good starting point for writing a XBMC remote control app for Sony Ericsson?0