Freeze on shutdown problem
Is anyone still having the problem of XBMC freezing when you try and shut it down? If so I have built a test version of XBMC to try and fix this. Download http://swarchive.ratsauce.co.uk/xbmc/XBMC.zip and follow the instructions in ReadMe.txt to install it.

If I have guessed correctly as to the cause of the problem you should find that XBMC may still freeze on shutdown but only for five seconds or so. If this build does fix the freezing problem please post here to let me know.

Thanks in advance to all testers :-)

JR
No comments? Is no-one still having the shutdown problem?

I like bugs that fix themselves :-)

JR
For me, the problem was related to having Aero turned on. As soon as I disabled Aero, I've never had any "hangs on xbmc shutdown" anymore.
I have the same problem, and your test version didn't solve the problem.

Will test with the aero-trick...
SpeedSurfer Wrote:and your test version didn't solve the problem.

Damn, there goes my guess as to the cause. Plaese post here if disabling Aero fixes it.

JR
Disabling aero seems to solve the problem!

I am using Win 7 x64, 8 GB and a Radeon 5450 with latest Catalyst.
Thanks.

Now we just have to figure out what the hell Aero is doing to cause a problem.

JR
I had the same problem in W2k8 R2 (with aero activated) on the same hardware, btw..

Give a yell if you need some more input/testing!
jhsrennie Wrote:Thanks.

Now we just have to figure out what the hell Aero is doing to cause a problem.

JR

Through some trial and error I did a few months ago because I didn't want to disable Aero when running XBMC in fullscreen, I found out that if you remove the DeleteDevice() call in CRenderSystemDX::DestroyRenderSystem() in RenderSystemDX.cpp, the freezing on shutdown no longer occurs anymore. Probably not the best way to go about things, but maybe it will help you narrow down the real cause.
Thanks, that's very helpful. I hope you don't mind me adding your comments to the ticket: http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/10730

JR
mitul103 Wrote:Through some trial and error I did a few months ago because I didn't want to disable Aero when running XBMC in fullscreen, I found out that if you remove the DeleteDevice() call in CRenderSystemDX:Big GrinestroyRenderSystem() in RenderSystemDX.cpp, the freezing on shutdown no longer occurs anymore. Probably not the best way to go about things, but maybe it will help you narrow down the real cause.

That was already reported here: http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/10194

No solution was found to explain that ...
AndroIRC - Best IRC client for Android!
I have the same problem with xbmc freeze at shutdown. I have reinstalled a couple of times but still get the freeze coming back. I have disabled Aero in win7 and running xbmc 10.0
sajberman Wrote:I have the same problem with xbmc freeze at shutdown. I have reinstalled a couple of times but still get the freeze coming back. I have disabled Aero in win7 and running xbmc 10.0

@sajberman: would you be willing to try a test build of XBMC to see if it fixes the problem?

If so, go to http://swarchive.ratsauce.co.uk/xbmc/ and download XBMC-FreezeOnExit.zip. This contains a test build of XBMC.exe with some extra error checks and logging. I would be very interested to know if this fixes the problem. I can't reproduce it on my own PC so it's very hard for me to work out what is wrong.

Thanks, JR
I will try your updated xbmc.exe JR but for now everything is working fine.
Maybe i found the problem because i changed the windows desktop from 1080p to 720p to test another problem
and when i changed it back to 1080p xbmc was able to shutdown correctly??.
I let you know if i get problems again, because it usually happens at least once a week.
I've got a pretty consistent freeze on exit on my machine (70+% of the time). I just forwarded this thread home to try disabling aero as well as the test build. I'll try the test build first.

Win7 Pro 64 Bit, Jetway MiniTop 525d w/ion2 + 2GB ram, xmbc 10.0.

Will post back with my findings.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Freeze on shutdown problem0