HowTo Restart AppleTV process if XBMC freezes
As i can imagine many of you dont really want to reboot the tethered AppleTV if XBMC freezes (like SMB share disconnects while watching movies).

SSH into the AppleTV.
So first off, you need TOP, so "apt-get top".
Then you use top, so "top" to find the "AppleTV" PID (Far left).
Then you issue the command "kill -HUP "AppleTV PID""

Now you have restarted the AppleTV process without rebooting!
Holding down the menu button for like 10 seconds seems to work for me.
sytanek Wrote:Holding down the menu button for like 10 seconds seems to work for me.

And i who pressed all the buttons on the remote Shocked
nukedeath Wrote:As i can imagine many of you dont really want to reboot the tethered AppleTV if XBMC freezes (like SMB share disconnects while watching movies).

SSH into the AppleTV.
So first off, you need TOP, so "apt-get top".
Then you use top, so "top" to find the "AppleTV" PID (Far left).
Then you issue the command "kill -HUP "AppleTV PID""

Now you have restarted the AppleTV process without rebooting!

Or simply killall AppleTV ...
you don't need "top" to get the PID. You can just use "ps"
johoja Wrote:Or simply killall AppleTV ...

^^^^^ this is much easier and almost guaranteed not to mess up. messing around with PIDs/etc you could end up killing some necessary services forcing you to reboot tethered anyways.

killall AppleTV i believe just kills services that the AppleTV.app has launched (ie netflix, youtube, xbmc, etc).
iOS XBMC users PLEASE use the advanced search function before starting a new thread. Make sure to click on 'XBMC for iOS Specific Support' so your results are narrowed down correctly.

Please make sure to visit the Sticky section for common issues/questions/etc. Also, XBMC for iOS information
iLLNESS Wrote:killall AppleTV

Maybe I'm smoking crack, but this is ATV1 if I remember correctly. For ATV2 a simple

Code:
killall Lowtide

does the trick.
killall Lowtide will actually reboot the whole box (on 4.1.1) and so will need re-tethering. I have done this, and learnt my lesson and now use killall AppleTV only...
hi
because my xbmc crashes very often, i would like to ask if there is a possibility to create a little shell-srcipt or automater file which allows to ssh to the atv2 and execute the killall AppleTV command by double-click? a little iphone app what would do that would even be more helpful...
sry for my poor english Sad
a-tom Wrote:hi
because my xbmc crashes very often, i would like to ask if there is a possibility to create a little shell-srcipt or automater file which allows to ssh to the atv2 and execute the killall AppleTV command by double-click? a little iphone app what would do that would even be more helpful...
sry for my poor english Sad

The better thing would be to start submitting xbmc.log and details about the crash/hang so it can get fixed.
Hi davilla
i see you are a developer. ok i will do this the next time! but anyway it would be handy to have both the shellscript and the "app" because you can send the logs anyway...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HowTo Restart AppleTV process if XBMC freezes0