Memory Upgrade
Just purchased a 2 gig upgrade but to my horror I have already have 2 x 1 gig memory sticks - I was under the impression there would be 1 x 2 gig (no such luck).

I can swap one over to give me 3 gig - will this be enough or should I re-order another 2 gigs.
stepea Wrote:Just purchased a 2 gig upgrade but to my horror I have already have 2 x 1 gig memory sticks - I was under the impression there would be 1 x 2 gig (no such luck).

I can swap one over to give me 3 gig - will this be enough or should I re-order another 2 gigs.

You haven't said what OS are you using or what computer setup you have?

You need to make sure the 2GB stick you are about to swap are compatible with your motherboard because it might give you issues later on. Check online mobo latest documentation to see list of all compatible Memory sticks before opening the packaging so that you can return it in case not compatible or you want to go with x2 2GB sticks.

Assuming your mobo supports dual channel and you want dual channel setup then you need to buy 2 new sticks because they need to be identical to work properly. You can't just buy another 2GB stick it might not work with the current 2GB that you have or if it does work then they won't run in dual channel setting.

Regards,
EG.
Sorry operating system in Win 7. It's an upgrade for an Acer Revo 3610.

I have checked which memory I needed, I was just surprised that it was 2 x 1 gig sticks rather than 1 x 2 gig stick.

I'm considering whether 3 gig is enough or get another 2gig to up it to 4 gig.
stepea Wrote:Sorry operating system in Win 7. It's an upgrade for an Acer Revo 3610.

I have checked which memory I needed, I was just surprised that it was 2 x 1 gig sticks rather than 1 x 2 gig stick.

I'm considering whether 3 gig is enough or get another 2gig to up it to 4 gig.

Most people are running xbmc only on atom based systems with 2GB mems only, so you should be ok with 3gigs I guess. There are no multi tasking apps involved that would take loads of resources and memory so that wouldn't make a big difference anyway.

cheers,
EG.
Unless you're doing something strange I'm not sure why you're upgrading the RAM in the machine anyway. I run XBMC, SABnzbd, SickBeard, and CouchPotato off my Revo, along with the software needed to make my Drobo work, and I get by just fine with only 2GB of RAM.
You said you are running Win 7. Is it the 32 bit or 64 bit flavor. No need in upgrading past 3 gigs if you are running a 32 bit system because the OS won't recognize it.
How to use Git
| AMD Athlon II X3 Triple Core Processor 2.9 GHz |GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H Mobo 2GB DDR2 Ram | MSI N430GT |
| Logitec Harmony Smart Control Remote| 52" Sharp Aquos LED TV | Denon AVR-X1000 |
| Freenas Server with 18TB ASRock Intel Avoton C2750 |
htpc guy Wrote:You said you are running Win 7. Is it the 32 bit or 64 bit flavor. No need in upgrading past 3 gigs if you are running a 32 bit system because the OS won't recognize it.

Common misconception. In 32 bit Windows any single application is limited to a 2GB address space (or 3GB with the boot.ini hack) but other applications can use the remaining memory i.e. the memory in use by all apps can add up to 4GB minus what Windows uses.

So upgrading past 3GB won't give XBMC more memory (not that it should need that much) but provides extra memory for other apps to use.

JR
I've got 32 bit version of Win 7, with 2 gigs XBMC did occasionally hang but this may be to do with the graphic options of windows, which I've turned down.

So general opinion that 3 gigs should be fine.
stepea Wrote:So general opinion that 3 gigs should be fine.

Yes. Even 2GB should be fine, though you might as well use the extra GB now you've bought it.

JR
I was only upgrading just in case some of the skins needed additonal memory. Hopefully 3 gigs should be plenty.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Memory Upgrade0