Recommended HTPC?
tboooe Wrote:I would love to get your feedback on the ZOTAC once you have had a chance to set it up.

Regarding wireless N, I am thinking of also adding a repeater since I have a few devices in my entertainment center that needs internet/network connection. Do you mind if I ask what repeater you are using? My main wireless router is a Linksys E3000. Thank you...
I am using two EnGenius ESR-9752 routers (first one set to 192.168.0.1 and the second one acting as a repeater is set to 192.168.0.2). This model is 300Mbps, but not dual band. I'm sure that (almost) any 300Mbps router that also can be set up as a repeater will work fine, maybe a dual band router would in theory be better, but I am streaming full 1080p Blu-ray rips over NFS without issue. So far it has been the best router model I've ever owned. Best bang for the buck, imho.

There are also 450Mbps routers out now, but those cost more.
My Theater: JVC X790R + Peerless PRG-UNV | 120" CineWhite UHD-B Screen | KODI Nexus + PreShow Experience | mpv | madVR 204 RTX 2070S | Panasonic UB420 | Denon X3600H @ 5.2.4 | 4 x ADX Maximus w/ Dayton Audio SA230 | 3 x Totem Tribe LCR + Mission M30 Surrounds + SVS PC2000 + Monolith 15 | 40" HDTV w/ Z83 + MoviePosterApp | 40TB Win10 SMB Server over Gigabit Ethernet
I ordered the Zotac ND22 on Tuesday and received it on Thursday, earlier than I thought I would, so here are my thoughts in a nutshell.

The cover of the ND22 is easily removed via two thumb screws so removing the cover and installing the SSD and memory is as easy as it can get. Slide in the SSD (or HDD) and secure it down on the back end with the clip, and position in the memory at a 45 degree angle and push it down until it snaps into place (bottom module first).

Looks: Although it's a plastic case and I would have preferred aluminum/steel, it looks nice and doesn't feel too 'cheap'. I like the orange glowing "O", but those who don't can turn this off in the BIOS.

Linux Mint 10 Install: Piece of cake. I had an external DVD drive close by so I plugged it in the ND22, popped in the Linux Mint 10 x64 DVD I already had laying around, and the Zotac recognized everything right away.

XBMC Install: I first began by installing Ubuntu-Tweak by opening a terminal and entering:

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:tualatrix/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-tweak
From there you can select any number of programs to install. Scroll through the list of items in the Application Center, select XBMC, and then Apply. I also updated XOrg and the nVidia drivers. You can skip Ubuntu-Tweak of course and install XBMC directly:

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xbmc

VESA Mounting:
This was a no-go on my 40" Toshiba Regza. Seems like this is intended for regular computer monitors, not for HDTVs per se. Bummer. With my setup I was able to simply place it behind the TV anyway to keep it out of sight.

Fan Noise: When the ND22 first boots up it is whisper quiet and barely audible, but after the OS is up and running and you begin using the system for awhile the SmartFan Control ramps up the RPM and, consequently, the fan noise as well. The unit already came with the latest BIOS which gives you the ability to adjust the fan settings so I went ahead and disabled the SmartFan Control and set it to Quiet mode. (Options are Quiet Mode, 50%, Medium, 75%, and Full On). Medium, 75% and Full On are too noisy for an HTPC, but in Quiet mode and even at 50% this fan is barely audible at normal viewing distance and imperceptible while watching movies. The unit does get warm, but doesn't seem to be overly so. Some may even be perfectly ok with setting the fan at 50% (Edit: I now have it at 50% just for the bit of extra cooling, though I ran into no issues in Quiet mode). I wouldn't recommend the Quiet setting if you'll be playing CPU intensive games or re-encoding videos, however.

Pros: With the CULV CPU the ND22 system feels snappy and responsive, and installing an SSD is icing on the cake. It's small, comes with VESA mounting for monitors, has lots of USB ports, and accepts 2 x DDR3 SO-DIMM memory modules; has optical out.

Cons: I'll dock 1 point for non-aluminum casing, and 1 point for non-passive cooling. Bottom line, although it isn't 100% silent it makes a great HTPC. It would have been nice if Zotac had included a remote, but even if they did I'd still be using the Official XBMC Remote for Android.

My rating: 8/10
My Theater: JVC X790R + Peerless PRG-UNV | 120" CineWhite UHD-B Screen | KODI Nexus + PreShow Experience | mpv | madVR 204 RTX 2070S | Panasonic UB420 | Denon X3600H @ 5.2.4 | 4 x ADX Maximus w/ Dayton Audio SA230 | 3 x Totem Tribe LCR + Mission M30 Surrounds + SVS PC2000 + Monolith 15 | 40" HDTV w/ Z83 + MoviePosterApp | 40TB Win10 SMB Server over Gigabit Ethernet
PtolemyIV Wrote:Okay guys, thanks for all your help - have now ordered:

Zotac ZBOX Nvidia ION, Celeron CULV SU2300 Barebone - http://www.ebuyer.com/product/237146
Crucial 2GB DDR3 1066MHz/PC3-8500 Laptop Memory SO-DIMM CL7 1.5V - http://www.ebuyer.com/product/159916
OCZ 60GB Vertex 2E SSD 2.5" SATA-II Read = 285MB/s, Write = 275MB/s 50,000 IOPS - http://www.ebuyer.com/product/225415
Did you get everything up and running yet?
Hey MidnightWatcher, been following your posts and I'm planning to buy the exact same setup this week (https://secure.newegg.ca/WishList/MySave...D=22288368).

Have you got AC3/DTS passthrough working through the optical out?

I am thinking of trying openelec or XBMC live instead of the full-blown Ubuntu/Mint install.
The ND22 is for the main bedroom, so I'm only using the analog outs with a pair of Altec Lansing FX3022 speakers and can't comment on the optical out. I'm sure however that it would work fine, even if a bit of tinkering were required.
Sorry for delay in replying (busy at work)

Got it all up-and-running very easily - and definitely glad i went with the ND22 over an atom processor.

SSD on top has blown me away - windows loads in seconds - will never buy another laptop again without one!

At the moment have gone for a simple install of Windows 7 with XBMC running on top - and using USB-UIRT with event ghost and harmony one remote. (USB-UIRT setup seems challenging on xbmc live/open elec it seems)

The box is close to silent and certainly unnoticeable when any video is playing. Have it connected to an Onkyo SR-606 amp via HDMI - HD material looks amazing and no problems with 5.1 passthrough.

Can definitely recommend, and thanks for all the advice everyone.
PtolemyIV Wrote:Sorry for delay in replying (busy at work)

Got it all up-and-running very easily - and definitely glad i went with the ND22 over an atom processor.

SSD on top has blown me away - windows loads in seconds - will never buy another laptop again without one!

At the moment have gone for a simple install of Windows 7 with XBMC running on top - and using USB-UIRT with event ghost and harmony one remote. (USB-UIRT setup seems challenging on xbmc live/open elec it seems)

The box is close to silent and certainly unnoticeable when any video is playing. Have it connected to an Onkyo SR-606 amp via HDMI - HD material looks amazing and no problems with 5.1 passthrough.

Can definitely recommend, and thanks for all the advice everyone.
What do you have the fan setting at?
MidnightWatcher Wrote:What do you have the fan setting at?

To be honest haven't tinkered with this yet (coming from an old xbox noise was the least of my concerns!)

I have now finally got the usbuirt fully setup (wakeuponlan was last challenge)
- had one issue where sound wouldnt work
resuming from sleep but latest desktop ion package from nvidia package fixed that (standalone audio drivers did not work)

will take a look at noise next - is it a bios fan setting or are you controlling via software in OS? what setting are you using?

edit: also i see a bios update related to fan noise post s3 on zotac website - have you flashed this or was it already updated upon purchase?

fans are audible in sleep mode which must be a consideration for a bedroom setup - presumably you've noticed same?

all in very happy with it!
The setting is in the BIOS, I changed it from Auto to 50%.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Recommended HTPC?1