XBMC on win7 too slow
Greetings all:

I am having problems with XBMC operating waayyy tooo sllloooowwwww after updating to 10.

Windows 7 is up to date.

Response to any input device is glacial and the scrolling text at the bottom moves at about one character every 2 or 3 seconds. I don't see any point in trying much in the way of playback with the system in this state.

I have plenty of disk space and about 1G ram free.

Anyone have any idea where I should look or what the problem might be?

I am using a stock ACER AR3610 connected via HDMI and MCE2 IR transceiver.

Thanks for any input.

Peter
pwhalley Wrote:Greetings all:

I am having problems with XBMC operating waayyy tooo sllloooowwwww after updating to 10.
Peter

Hit "\" on your keyboard to put XBMC in windows mode.
Now hit ctrl+shift+esc should bring up your Windows Task Manager
See if XBMC is spiking your CPU or your Memory in the Processes list.

There are a lot of things that could be going wrong but thats a good place to start your hunt.
Very odd. I use Dharma on a R3610 (as do lots of us hereabouts) and it works fine, so it sounds like a problem on your system. Can you post a debug log; just enable debugging then start and stop XBMC and pop the log on pastebin.com. This should hopefully be managable despite the slow UI.

What video drivers did you use when installing Windows?

JR
Thanks both of you.

I appreciate the tips. It may be a day or 2 B4 I can schedule some down time for the media center (our primary TV w/DirecTV). Plus ordinary life intruding. I will post results ASAP.

To the best of my knowledge, all drivers are up to date (via windows update).
I consistently have 1G of RAM available (I am repeating myself on this one) and don't recall seeing any unusual disk or processor load spikes or applications / processes hogging resources.

Something just occurred to me. Is it possible that AVG free is somehow interfering? - something to do with the (I assume) rss feed that shows up on main window? I will test this during down time.

Some more background FWIW:

I have had XBMC working pretty well on this PC until recently. It was a bit of a challenge since I was using a 55 rear projection 720P display with a lot of overscan. I just switched to an LCD 60" panel so all the display tweaking went away (good) but the variable line out on the TV did too (bad).

As I recall, XBMC would not display correctly on the new set. Right now I can't recall if I had XBMC working right just before I changed out the set but I know that with the new set I could only could see the lower right quadrant of the XBMC window so I uninstalled and then installed V10.

I don't have an AV receiver so now the PC has to handle volume control. I am using (trying) creative usb x-fi hd to handle the volume control - it provides a more ordinary knob the uninitiated can use and works well enough in Windows with MCE2 remote.

Linux is not so easy with the X-fi - it does work - some but will require some extra work with LIRC to make it consistent and more or less bullet proof.

One last thing. This isn't a factor yet but I have tried and want to get XBMC working as a frontend for MythTV - after I resolve this basic issue.

Thanks again.

More to follow...

Peter

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC on win7 too slow0