[AppleTV2] All videos stream slow on ATV2?
al3x1980 Wrote:this is with none MKV. Just with avi files.

This means nothing, MKV can contain streams with just about any codec and resolution, as with AVI. What is the video and audio codecs of stuttering movies and their resolutions... details!

Theres a bloody magnificent tool that no one seems to use... Mediainfo, get it and use it to check the specs of the files in question so you can report back with details that are more than vague!

Mediainfo website:
http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en
An example file I get this issue on has the following info

Code:
General
Unique ID                        : 200362705989704316203375775046235872298 (0x96BC7419E9C1CDABA90F91A3B4245C2A)
Complete name                    : E:\TV Shows\Outcasts\Season 01\Outcasts - 1x08 - Episode 8.mkv
Format                           : Matroska
File size                        : 1.46 GiB
Duration                         : 58mn 58s
Overall bit rate                 : 3 537 Kbps
Encoded date                     : UTC 2011-03-13 23:53:14
Writing application              : mkvmerge v2.9.5 ('Tu es le seul') built on Jun 17 2009 16:28:30
Writing library                  : libebml v0.7.8 + libmatroska v0.8.1

Video
ID                               : 1
Format                           : AVC
Format/Info                      : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                   : [email protected]
Format settings, CABAC           : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames        : 4 frames
Codec ID                         : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Bit rate                         : 3 345 Kbps
Width                            : 1 280 pixels
Height                           : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio             : 16:9
Frame rate                       : 25.000 fps
Color space                      : YUV
Chroma subsampling               : 4:2:0
Bit depth                        : 8 bits
Scan type                        : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.145
Stream size                      : 1.35 GiB (93%)
Writing library                  : x264 core 114 r1913 5fd3dce
Encoding settings                : cabac=1 / ref=3 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=hex / subme=6 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=0 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=0 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=18 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=0 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc=2pass / mbtree=0 / bitrate=3345 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / pb_ratio=1.30 / aq=1:1.00

Audio
ID                               : 2
Format                           : AC-3
Format/Info                      : Audio Coding 3
Mode extension                   : CM (complete main)
Codec ID                         : A_AC3
Bit rate mode                    : Constant
Bit rate                         : 192 Kbps
Channel(s)                       : 2 channels
Channel positions                : Front: L R
Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth                        : 16 bits
Compression mode                 : Lossy
Stream size                      : 81.0 MiB (5%)
Language                         : English

Text
ID                               : 3
Format                           : SSA
Codec ID                         : S_TEXT/SSA
Codec ID/Info                    : Sub Station Alpha
Compression mode                 : Lossless
Language                         : English
Paraffin: From what I gather from your example, if you have subtitle turned on, I believe it's known that SSA subtitle will cause problem. XBMC has subtitle on by default until you configure it to be off for all movies.

Search for that topic for more info and see if the issue should have been resolved.
I have turned subtitles off as it crashes XBMC otherwise and made this default for all video playback.
I have had a look at CPU usage also and it seems to sit around 10-20% constantly when essentially its idle.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16074172/CPU.avi

Is this normal?
Paraffin: In that case, definitely provide a pastebin.com of your xbmc.log. Turn on debugging. Then exit XBMC. Relaunch XBMC so a fresh xbmc.log can be created. Then go and run the movie you have trouble with.

Then use FTP or WinSCP to grab your xbmc.log file and paste to pastebin.com for us to take a look at what's happening. Also, if you are serious about getting to the bottom of this, provide a statement as to what you are experiencing. All this is so we're not taking a stab in the dark or helping you guys blindly.

Enable us to help you with your problem. Cuz XBMC is running mighty well for me.
OK I will do all of that and should have time on Friday..

Should I start a new thread of my own with the following details

Media Info of the MKV
XBMC.log
Network Setup
Server Setup

Is there anything else I need to provide?

Is debug logging turned on in the menu of XBMC or should I search the forums for the cli commands?
Yeah, probably best to create your own thread. Because we don't know if your problem is the same as the OP.

You can turn on debugging from within XBMC system settings. Also let us know which build/build date of XBMC you are running. Thanks.
How do I get the build number?
At the home screen, highlight system and press right. From the slideout menu, choose system info. You'll see on the lower right of the summary page, the XBMC version and compiled date.
I have problems like you, then I dont play .Avi or wmv any more

I just play Mkv, it fine
Hey guys, I fixed mine by turning "activate teletext" off and set allowed error in aspect ratio to 20%

These are found in xbmc, system, video, playback
Hope this helps someone!
hi guys im new.
ive got the same problem on atv2
when streaming 720p off movie site it stutters stops etc..
im hard wired with 10mbs cable broadband.
ill try the guys above tip see if that works later..
Meric Wrote:Hey guys, I fixed mine by turning "activate teletext" off and set allowed error in aspect ratio to 20%

These are found in xbmc, system, video, playback
Hope this helps someone!

done this and disabled the youtube plugin and my vids steam seamlessly now, even 1080P ones. not sure which one made the difference but i'm still using a wireless connection to my NAS
dereklad Wrote:hi guys im new.
ive got the same problem on atv2
when streaming 720p off movie site it stutters stops etc..
im hard wired with 10mbs cable broadband.
ill try the guys above tip see if that works later..

Most streaming services use divx encoding which is not supported in the hardware decoder on atv2. So 720p divx will not work stutterfree on atv2 (though SD resolution should work even when using divx/xvid). Try using h.264 content - this gets hardware decoded up to 1080p. Read the FAQ about this...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2] All videos stream slow on ATV2?0