Dropped frames; Mac Mini & Crystal HD
Hello all,

I've run into a issue with dropped frames that has come up out of nowhere (seemingly) and I haven't found anything in the forums regarding why that may be. I started getting dropped frames across almost any 1080p video above like 5GB, and this started happening at random without me installing anything (the only thing I can think of that would've been installed is an OSX update; but I don't recall doing that).

I've tried everything from turning off other applications/processes, all combination of display options (IE sync to audio clock, or "match video to display refresh rate, etc), playing a video locally or over the network, adding skiploopfilter settings, etc. Nothing stops the drops. I've even set my TV refresh rate to 24hz as some people have suggested in other threads, but it has made no difference. This issue reminds me of when the Crystal HD drivers were being worked on, and the videos used to drop frames at random - same exact issue happening here only the drops are not as long luckily. The amount of frames dropped is never consistent and they do seem to happen at different intervals; sometimes it happens a lot, sometimes it barely drops any frames at all.

The only real catch here is that some random files do play normally, I have a Blu-Ray I made a backup of in a 22GB .ts container and it played beautifully with not a single dropped frame for over an hour, which is what I used to be to get for all videos. On the other side of the coin, I have a 28GB backup in a .ts container and that drops frames well within the first 1-3 minutes of the movie, every time.

I've read over the log files so many times when this happens; all I do see consistently is the following DEBUG entry almost every time a video loses the frames: "DEBUG: CPullupCorrection: detected pattern of length 1: 41708.33, frameduration: 41708.333333"

Not sure what that means exactly, I’ve researched it but can't nail down the cause or solution for my scenario. I had heard that there may be an issue with hardware acceleration on the new Mac Minis (not CrystalHD though, I think it's the regular hardware acceleration) so I wonder if perhaps this is falling under a similar issue. Perhaps there's a crystal HD issue I'm not aware of? (though it seems unlikely since some videos play fine for a long time consistently).

Any help is much appreciated; I put my log up here: http://pastebin.com/0DFbQrLg - if I need to upload any other logs, codec types, etc, or have the video run for longer, let me know and I will do so. The error happens at "12:00:10 T:2959527936 M:547643392" in the log I uploaded (it is highlighted - and that error happened at almost exactly 5 min into the movie). Sorry for the lengthy post; just wanted to cover all bases with the description since I don’t see this as a known issue.

Thanks in advance; love the software to death, so this recent issue has been a real bummer! Oo

XBMC VERSION: Pre 10.5 r35638
OSX: 10.5.8
MAC Mini 1.83 Core2Duo
Crystal HD enabled, kext 3.6

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Dropped frames; Mac Mini & Crystal HD0