• 4(current)
[ATV1] HOW-TO install Sam's image to internal Apple TV harddrive
Well my usb install is now failing with "/dev/sdb3 does not exist. Dropping to shell!" at boot.
pmcd Wrote:Is there something that can be done to the unallocated partition or is it supposed to be that way? Seems a waste. Is there a simple way to install the fixed parted on a Ubuntu system? It's all very confusing at this point!
philip

I am wondering this too. I ran the installer and it works great. There is a definite advantage to booting off usb hard drive instead of flash (I have been running Sam's previous builds off a hard drive for months, very stable and speedy).

I was hoping this installer would help me deal with the extra space on my 40 GB external drive as well, but like Philip, I have a drive that has been autoformatted to about 4GB (instead of the 40GB available).

I run Ubuntu from a "live" cd and I am not sure how to install the patched parted, or what to do after that.

Any nudge in the right direction would be welcome.

Thanks again.

Craig
Hello,

I'm trying to install the latest image with the installer from a 4gig USB stick. During the boot sequence it crashes at some point when It's not finding a file on svn.stmlabs.com.

The script stops at the initialise.sh file and drops me to the appletv-ubuntu prompt.

When I try to ssh the box. atv/atv and xbmc/xbmc don't seem to work.

Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.
Let's clear some things up.

pmcd Wrote:Edit2: Very slick. One suggestion. It might be nice to have the option of selecting the image instead of having to download it automatically. This might be useful if one had already downloaded the image. Of course it makes things a bit more complicated, but the process seems to be pretty simple as is. I ran it from Fusion with Ubuntu 9 and it just seemed to know which drive to deal with.

No one will have 'already downloaded it'. I am providing support through the UI, expert users will have to fend for themselves.

pmcd Wrote:Ok, the installer did its thing. It partitioned everything but left unallocated space of 300 gigs or so. I had installed it to a 320gig drive. The unallocated piece is at the end of the partition, so can I just go ahead and initialize that as fat or ext2 or whatever ?

As it is, the hard drive booted the ATV from USB ( while the internal hard drive was left untouched). Much faster than a flash drive, but there is still that unused 300 gig partition.

Is there something that can be done to the unallocated partition or is it supposed to be that way? Seems a waste. Is there a simple way to install the fixed parted on a Ubuntu system? It's all very confusing at this point!

Basically the installer does not resize the 3rd partition. I tried it on a 16gig flash drive and the same thing happened. It seems to think there is nothing to do. That is, it thinks the disk is already at its limit even though before running the resize command it recognizes it isn't. It's the same old story as with the parted problem. Sigh ...

philip

You seem confused. The installer script will utilise the maximum size of the drive minus 1.5GB for sector segmentation. "The hard drive booted the ATV from USB". Please clarify, did you install Ubuntu onto your internal drive with the USB using the Hard Drive Install option

Romey-Rome Wrote:Well my usb install is now failing with "/dev/sdb3 does not exist. Dropping to shell!" at boot.

Please be specific to your installation (type, method, USB drive etc)

bigjuggler Wrote:I am wondering this too. I ran the installer and it works great. There is a definite advantage to booting off usb hard drive instead of flash (I have been running Sam's previous builds off a hard drive for months, very stable and speedy).

I was hoping this installer would help me deal with the extra space on my 40 GB external drive as well, but like Philip, I have a drive that has been autoformatted to about 4GB (instead of the 40GB available).

I run Ubuntu from a "live" cd and I am not sure how to install the patched parted, or what to do after that.

Thanks again.

Craig

No need for a livecd with patched parted. The script will DD the image and your aTV will handle the rest. Full space is used by the install
jumpcuts Wrote:Hello,

I'm trying to install the latest image with the installer from a 4gig USB stick. During the boot sequence it crashes at some point when It's not finding a file on svn.stmlabs.com.

The script stops at the initialise.sh file and drops me to the appletv-ubuntu prompt.

When I try to ssh the box. atv/atv and xbmc/xbmc don't seem to work.

Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.

Network connectivity is required for the initialisation of the system, I assume you have connected an Ethernet cable if attempting a SSH connection. You should check network connectivity and treat this as a Ubuntu issue rather than an aTV one: system responding to ping? cat /etc/network/interfaces returns "eth0 auto"?
The resizing of internal drive at SDA3 works for me

http://img840.imageshack.us/i/img0009fv.jpg/
Sam.Nazarko Wrote:Let's clear some things up.
Network connectivity is required for the initialisation of the system, I assume you have connected an Ethernet cable if attempting a SSH connection. You should check network connectivity and treat this as a Ubuntu issue rather than an aTV one: system responding to ping? cat /etc/network/interfaces returns "eth0 auto"?

Hello Sam,

Network connectivity is working since I can SSH to the box, ping is good. It's just that the user name/password combo atv or xbmc are invalid...

as for the error I get when it's trying to connect to your site is the following:

[...] "connecting to svn.stmlabs.com:87.106.100.246:80... connected
http request sent, awaiting response ... 404 Not Found."

Thanks for your help.
That is strange. It would appear the DNS resolution was successful: "svn.stmlabs.com:87.106.100.246:80", yet you still get a 404 return code. Try wget to obtain the file manually.
The username and password are atv-atv. You can login with a tty session using the USB port for verification. Your SSH is not working for some other reason - which is likely linked to your network problem. Does the initialisation script work on a PC, i.e. can you fetch the files aTV is trying to fetch from your machine? This will indicate where the fault lies
Sam.Nazarko Wrote:Please be specific to your installation (type, method, USB drive etc)

What I've tried:

crystalhd.sh > usb installs (hard drive)
Starts booting kernel and modules, then drops out saying it can't find sdb3. Looks like about the place it would mount / & start init. Now that I typed this out, I think I had a lightbulb. I don't recall if I had the internal drive in place when booting, so USB may have been sda instead of sdb. Will test again....

crystalhd.sh > internal install to usb hard which I move to to apple tv IDE after install produce a no boot at all. Not sure if internal install was meant to be ran this way. Shouldn't in this case menu.lst & com.apple.Boot.plist be change to sda3? I changed it to sda3 after install, but it produced the same result. If I take this drive & put it on USB, it produces the same result as the USB install, but again, I may not had sda in place.

I'll feel pretty stupid if the only reason USB didn't boot is because of the lacking internal drive, which probably is the case.
Yup. It kind of relies on the internal drive being in hehe. As you're using two USB interfaces, you need to verify which is sda and which is sdb (fdisk -l or parted -s /dev/sda). Then you can adjust com.apple.Boot.plist accordingly
Sam.Nazarko Wrote:Let's clear some things up.

You seem confused. The installer script will utilise the maximum size of the drive minus 1.5GB for sector segmentation. "The hard drive booted the ATV from USB". Please clarify, did you install Ubuntu onto your internal drive with the USB using the Hard Drive Install option

Please be specific to your installation (type, method, USB drive etc)

The installation type was USB drive. I plugged in a USB Hard drive ( 320gigs external) into a Linux box. Ran your install and installed to USB. I did not use install to internal hard drive as I don't want to touch it.

This created a bootable usb hard drive with three partitions. It did not use up all the space minus 1.5G. The drive was 320gigs and it used 4 gigs.

I assume the install method is oriented towards installing to the internal hard drive, in which case it would use all the space?

In any case I finally "found" out how to reclaim the space in the 3rd partition.
When you use the install to USB option it creates three partitions

1- hfs (boot)
2- swap (512megs)
3- linux (3 gigs or so)

I ran parted from a shell ( the graphically one won't work).
- I used sector units ( units s)
- print
- rm 3 (this deletes the 3rd piece, but not really)
- mkpart primary ()s -1 (()s is the number where 3 starts with the s)
-q

sudo e2fsck -f /dev/sdxx
sudo resize2fs /dev/sdxx

---

After you first run parted it asks if you want to Fix or Ingnore the issue that the whole disk is not being used. Type Fix.

This worked for me for both a hard drive and a flash drive. I don't know if 512megs is enough for the swap though, and I am not quite up to knowing how to change it!

philip
bigjuggler Wrote:I am wondering this too. I ran the installer and it works great. There is a definite advantage to booting off usb hard drive instead of flash (I have been running Sam's previous builds off a hard drive for months, very stable and speedy).

Thanks again.

Craig

Have a look at my reply to Sam. You don't need the patched parted for what you are trying to do ( which is also what I am trying to do). I ran parted from a shell on a Ubuntu 10 box. I assume Live would work. I outlined exactly what I had to do to fill up the space, and it works. Mind you, the swap size remains at 512megs. I don't know if that is sufficient.

philip
pmcd Wrote:The installation type was USB drive. I plugged in a USB Hard drive ( 320gigs external) into a Linux box. Ran your install and installed to USB. I did not use install to internal hard drive as I don't want to touch it.

This created a bootable usb hard drive with three partitions. It did not use up all the space minus 1.5G. The drive was 320gigs and it used 4 gigs.

I assume the install method is oriented towards installing to the internal hard drive, in which case it would use all the space?

In any case I finally "found" out how to reclaim the space in the 3rd partition.
When you use the install to USB option it creates three partitions

1- hfs (boot)
2- swap (512megs)
3- linux (3 gigs or so)

I ran parted from a shell ( the graphically one won't work).
- I used sector units ( units s)
- print
- rm 3 (this deletes the 3rd piece, but not really)
- mkpart primary ()s -1 (()s is the number where 3 starts with the s)
-q

sudo e2fsck -f /dev/sdxx
sudo resize2fs /dev/sdxx

---

After you first run parted it asks if you want to Fix or Ingnore the issue that the whole disk is not being used. Type Fix.

This worked for me for both a hard drive and a flash drive. I don't know if 512megs is enough for the swap though, and I am not quite up to knowing how to change it!

philip

The script is supposed to resize even if using a USB install only. I checked the script and I noticed an abstractionism mistake: I used an absolute reference to /dev/sdb after calling partprobe which means if your USB HDD was not at /dev/sdb then the partitions would not have synchronised, thus the resize commands would have failed.

See changes: =%2Fscripts%2Finstall%2Fcrystalhd.sh%4013&compare[]=%2Fscripts%2Finstall%2Fcrystalhd.sh%4012]here

As for swap partitions, 512MB will suffice. The DMA buffers in CrystalHD driver is 8; the swap file is twice the internal memory and the whole system only consumes around 90MB RAM.
Thank's for the swap info and the clarification regarding the resizing. I noticed when booting from the external drive ( it's a notebook drive in a powered enclosure) that the drive will sleep after a while and XBMC is unable to wake things up. You can still ssh into the system so it's the video that somehow disappears. This doesn't happen when booting from a USB flash drive which is interesting. I also assume it wouldn't happen using the internal drive ( which is eventually what I will do).

Thank you for this really nice program setup.

philip
Sam.Nazarko Wrote:Yup. It kind of relies on the internal drive being in hehe. As you're using two USB interfaces, you need to verify which is sda and which is sdb (fdisk -l or parted -s /dev/sda). Then you can adjust com.apple.Boot.plist accordingly

So found the root cause of all my problems. My aTV's IDE ribbon cable was messed up. So na matter what, it wasn't going to work. All good now that I got it fixed.
Sam.Nazarko Wrote:That is strange. It would appear the DNS resolution was successful: "svn.stmlabs.com:87.106.100.246:80", yet you still get a 404 return code. Try wget to obtain the file manually.
The username and password are atv-atv. You can login with a tty session using the USB port for verification. Your SSH is not working for some other reason - which is likely linked to your network problem. Does the initialisation script work on a PC, i.e. can you fetch the files aTV is trying to fetch from your machine? This will indicate where the fault lies

Hello,

I can fetch everything from my pc no problem, so it must be something on the ATV's side. One thing I could think of is a firewall permission issue. What ports are being used by the script in addition to port 80?

You lost me on the tty via usb part... as for wget, I need to log on the unit to try this and atv/atv is not working even If I can get to the login prompt... catch 22

Thanks
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[ATV1] HOW-TO install Sam's image to internal Apple TV harddrive2