• 6(current)
[ATV1] HOW-TO install Sam's image to internal Apple TV harddrive
Had another set of hassles trying to get USB to work correctly. Thought I'd share: I tried using the crystalhd.sh unmolested, but had to make a few changes because I got all sorts of file system errors when booting on the appletv. I made the following changes:
# wget http://download.stmlabs.com/atv-images/$path/usb/USB.img.gz # downloaded already
echo Extracting image and imaging device
gunzip -c USB.img.gz | sudo dd of="$driveletter" bs=8192k # seemed to make imaging faster
#echo Resync
#sudo partprobe $driveletter
#echo Resizing file system
#sudo e2fsck -f "$driveletter"3
#sudo resize2fs "$driveletter"3
zenity --info --text "The task has been completed."

Taking out all that got it to boot, but apt-get took about 25 minutes to finish... I logged in via ssh to make sure it didn't hang.

Thanks!
Wikking Wrote:while trying the installer (internal hdd) i found and corrected some errors.

1. disk will not be resized whatsoever. exactly the same size as the usb image
2. all references are wrong (should be sda*, is sdb*). this concerns the bootlist and fstab, mtab <-- that's why people are reporting a non booting system when installing it on the internal drive

my guess is that the diskimage in http://download.stmlabs.com/atv-images/i...ler.img.gz is just the regular usb image. that's why the references are wrong.

after manually changing the references the system boots and all is well. hope this helps.

What are you on about? The USB image is resized, but the installer image is not as it is only an intermediate. The references in the file system table and the boot list are actually correct: http://download.stmlabs.com/atv-images/u...ardy/core/

Further, the installer.img.gz file is infact the installer, not the USB image. I have not misnamed the file as you may have thought.

I have tested the script on my Apple TV numerous times and cannot identify a fault.
Hey , I ran this sudo apt-get upgrade cus I was having a couple of playback issues and thought it nmight help. It didnt. I now have a pink overlay on everything.

I read that you can update the nvidia driver and it will fix this but kill hdmi audio. I use optical mainly so I would do this if i could. Sadly I dont know how to. Can anyone help.

p.s why is the sudo apt-get upgrade option there if it breaks the install.
APT is there as it is a core part of a Debian distribution. It is the Advanced Packaging Tool and Crystalbuntu uses this for maintenance of the XBMC install. apt-get upgrade will update your kernel -- requiring recompile of the mach_kernel from atv-bootloader source alongside ramdisk.
Sam.Nazarko Wrote:I have tested the script on my Apple TV numerous times and cannot identify a fault.

Did you by chance test writing the image to a USB flash drive? It seems to me you still get a 4 gig file no matter what perhaps because the script does not default to fixing the GPT table, etc... ( ie answering Fix to the two questions)?

Basically if you run your script and get the 4 gig usb hard drive then repeating only the final part but answering yes to the GPT fixing, etc.. does make the resize work. It doesn't seem to in the automated script ( for USB drives).

philip
Sam.Nazarko Wrote:APT is there as it is a core part of a Debian distribution. It is the Advanced Packaging Tool and Crystalbuntu uses this for maintenance of the XBMC install. apt-get upgrade will update your kernel -- requiring recompile of the mach_kernel from atv-bootloader source alongside ramdisk.

Is this easy to do? It seems my atv is kinda broken now after I did that upgrade. Obviously it was a bad idea I just was trying to get file to play back.

I manually installed new nvidia drivers and it got rid of the pink screen. But I go to use it now and its black screen no signal , have to reboot the box to get it working. I never had any dramas before.

Do I perhaps need to completely reinstall the image. I hope not, It took me so long to get it working and recognize the 160gb hdd and install Sabznbd etc.

any help appreciated.
pmcd Wrote:Did you by chance test writing the image to a USB flash drive? It seems to me you still get a 4 gig file no matter what perhaps because the script does not default to fixing the GPT table, etc... ( ie answering Fix to the two questions)?

Basically if you run your script and get the 4 gig usb hard drive then repeating only the final part but answering yes to the GPT fixing, etc.. does make the resize work. It doesn't seem to in the automated script ( for USB drives).

philip

Yeah, I'm sure I tested it. You don't seem to get how it works. It does not matter in anyway how much space is used on the USB if you selected Internal Drive. The USB image only therefore intermediates the installation between PC and HDD by wgetting, unzipping and partitioning the internal diskette.

jadel Wrote:Is this easy to do? It seems my atv is kinda broken now after I did that upgrade. Obviously it was a bad idea I just was trying to get file to play back.

I manually installed new nvidia drivers and it got rid of the pink screen. But I go to use it now and its black screen no signal , have to reboot the box to get it working. I never had any dramas before.

Do I perhaps need to completely reinstall the image. I hope not, It took me so long to get it working and recognize the 160gb hdd and install Sabznbd etc.

any help appreciated.

Reinstall or expect a load of headaches Sad
ouch. ok thanks mate.

Just to be clear. Is installer up and running? Your twitter says not yet but the thread kinda says yes. Is there a write up anywhere like the old one on the wiki or not so much?

cheers
I would like to try the new XBMC 10.1 on my ATV1, using a bootable USB stick. What should I do?

I have a Windows desktop, but I could boot it from live ubuntu cd. Not sure if there is a risk of deleting my internal HDD in PC when using the script. Where can I find the complete instructions for setting up Sam's image? I have HDMI audio by the way. How is the performance for CrystalHD v12 on the new XBMC?
Hi,

I have installed Sam's image on my ATV1, I did have a problem resizing the hardrive as the "sudo cp /dev/sdb3 /dev/sda3" line hung for 8 hours. I manually rebooted, took the USB drive out and it runs off the Hard drive but only 4GB works. I'll try this again but it works for now.

Tha main question I have is that I want to get to the ubuntu desktop to be able to install and configure VLC to run as an external player so I can play some files the default XBMC video player wont play.

I can install VLC via ssh and terminal but I need to go into the menus for VLC visually to set it up.

when I exit XBMC I go to a log in screen. When I add the login and password of "xbmc" it relaunches xbmc because of the xbmc live install.

Is the desktop accessible?

Theoritically, could you unistall xbmclive, reinstall xbmc-standalone access the desktop and then just launch xbmc? I wont be turning off the AppleTV all the time so auto booting into xbmc using live isnt an issue

Dave
Sam.Nazarko Wrote:Yeah, I'm sure I tested it. You don't seem to get how it works. It does not matter in anyway how much space is used on the USB if you selected Internal Drive. The USB image only therefore intermediates the installation between PC and HDD by wgetting, unzipping and partitioning the internal diskette.

I only used the USB option to install to a hard drive that would boot the ATV from the USB port, and not as a way to install to the internal drive. I want to see how it all plays out before replacing OSX on the ATV. So from that point of view I can't see how it fills up the external drive. I have done this many times and unless I manually go through the final few steps it does yield a 4gig external drive.

Philip

Edit: To be clear. I am attaching an external USB 320gig hard drive to my Linux box. It appears as sdb. I select USB in the installer and sdb. It then does its thing and I end up with a 4gig hard drive. It's no big deal as expanding can be done. Perhaps the USB option is not really meant for hard drives or larger flash drives?
Hi! The installation went smooth.But how can i save file sources.xml into root/.xbmc/userdata? I'm always getting permission denied. I do login as atv/atv. I have also treid wget from ssh (with putty and it is tha same error).

TNX
pmcd Wrote:I only used the USB option to install to a hard drive that would boot the ATV from the USB port, and not as a way to install to the internal drive. I want to see how it all plays out before replacing OSX on the ATV. So from that point of view I can't see how it fills up the external drive. I have done this many times and unless I manually go through the final few steps it does yield a 4gig external drive.

Philip

Edit: To be clear. I am attaching an external USB 320gig hard drive to my Linux box. It appears as sdb. I select USB in the installer and sdb. It then does its thing and I end up with a 4gig hard drive. It's no big deal as expanding can be done. Perhaps the USB option is not really meant for hard drives or larger flash drives?

That's your problem. Resizing only works for 'Internal Drive', you'd have to recreate the partition table for resizing the USB, which can be done and then you dd across the three core images, but this requires patched parted, hfstools etc which are not standard in a Debian distro
Sam.Nazarko Wrote:That's your problem. Resizing only works for 'Internal Drive', you'd have to recreate the partition table for resizing the USB, which can be done and then you dd across the three core images, but this requires patched parted, hfstools etc which are not standard in a Debian distro

Thank you for the clarification. That makes sense. I will try it on my internal drive.

If you look at my post #55 in this thread I outlined a way of expanding without using the patched parted. That has worked for me every time and seems to be stable though of course it may not be optimal.

Philip
I seem to have the same problem as a previous poster. I downloaded the installer.img.gz from http://download.stmlabs.com/atv-images/installer/ and loaded it on a 4 Gig USB stick using USB Image Tool.exe under windows. I put the usb stick in the ATV1 and booted into linux but get:

[...] "connecting to svn.stmlabs.com:87.106.100.246:80... connected
http request sent, awaiting response ... 404 Not Found."

It appears to me that the install script in /home/atv/scripts/initialise.sh gets the file name for the wget http://svn.stmlabs.com/svn/crystalhd-for...s/install/"$DISTCHOICE" command from DISTCHOICE=`cat /.distro` but when I issue cat /.distro I get a blank line. This seems to be causing the 404 error. I tried issuing the wget command manually, but I get errors that zenity is not found.

I am new to linux so any help would be appreciated and apologize in advance if this is a dumb question. My goal is to install XBMC on the hard drive of my ATV1. I have been using pin87's image on a USB but need more space

Thanks
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[ATV1] HOW-TO install Sam's image to internal Apple TV harddrive2