XBMC on Vista BSOD on startup
Looking for help please. I have just got an Acer Revo R3610 for the purpose of a Media Centre with XBMC. I have Vista Home Premium 32 bit 2Gb of ram 250gb HD, which I thought was sufficient.

I installed the latest Dharma XBMC, but each time I try to load it the system crashes, with the dreaded blue screen of death. Probably I am missing something very basic, but as an experienced user at this time I cannot think what. If anyone could help I would much appreciate it. I have installed XBMC on my laptop with no such probs. Thanks.
A blue screen crash is almost always a device driver or possibly hardware fault. If your Revo reproducibly bluescreens when you start XBMC that suggests a device driver problem, and most likely the video driver or possibly the sound driver. What drivers did you use? I have a R3610 (Win7 not Vista) and with the drivers from the Acer support page it works fine.

JR
Thanks, will try updating the drivers first and report back. I did look, but they only appeared to have drivers for WIN 7 and nothing for Vista. If I cannot find any I will go the Win 7 route.

I was upgrading from a WD TV Live and part of the reason for hesitation was problems like this arising, damn windows. I know I could do an XBMC Live install, but that appears to have its problems too.

Thanks.
Well I again scoured the Acer support pages, but no drivers can be found for Vista. I updated all possible drivers through Device Manager Update, but it still crashes.
This was a second hand item, and strangely all the drivers used appear to be MS with no Acer ones. No Acer disks or manual came with it.
In Control Panel, System, the processor is listed as not available and the same with memory. Very weird.
In device manager however under Processors Intel Atom 330 is listed 4 times?
Also in sound, High Definition audio device is listed twice.
There are also two yellow warnings for:
Coprocessor and SM Bus Controller (drivers not installed code 28)
Leaning towards wiping and Win 7 instal.
ironical Wrote:Leaning towards wiping and Win 7 instal.

If you have a copy on Win7 it's vastly better than Vista anyway, regardless of the Acer driver support.

The Aom 330 is dual code with Hyperthreading, so it appears as four processors. Before you get too excited, Hyperthreading only gives a small performance increase so it's really about 2.5 processors.

JR
Thanks for that, I installed Win 7, 64 bit in error, but all worked fine after playing about with the audio optical settings. The only problem I have found now is with nothing happening when I try to play an .iso movie, still I'm in my early days with it I suppose.... LOL

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC on Vista BSOD on startup0