remote control apps for feature phones?
Hi,
So the XBMC remote control for Android is here, and it looks pretty sweet. Does anyone know if any similar apps exist for feature phones? I realize that feature phones don't offer the same hardware power as the smartphones with android, but something dumbed down but still providing similar functionality would be awesome (like being able to browse through music, select tracks, see what tracks are currently playing etc).
I'm already using my sony ericsson HID mode as a remote for XBMC which is great, but being able to browse songs and select tracks just from the phone's screen would be, well, greater:-)

Cheers!
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=43156

http://www.androidzoom.com/android_appli..._fpuh.html

http://www.appbrain.com/app/official-xbm...oid.remote

remember Google is your friend, hope these work for you
Proper Usage of a debug log
If I managed to help you in any way, please add to my reputation
Thanks for the reply,

All of your links are to apps for the android platform, but as I stated in my post, I'm looking for remote control apps for XBMC that run on feature phones, not smartphones.

I have looked around a fair bit on Google for XBMC remote control apps that run on feature phones (e.g. for J2ME platform) but haven't found anything, which leads me to believe that there just isn't much out there for feature phone users, unfortunately. I just wanted to confirm this with the XBMC community in case I'm wrong and there are some apps that I've overlooked.

Still appreciate you taking a few moments to respond though:-)

So does anyone know of any remote control apps out there for feature phones? If not, I think I'll call it a closed caseWink
well, just about all I found for controlling XBMC from a feature phone with a J2ME app is this one. I was able to compile it from the XBMC source files and run the jar on my SE w910i, and then ran 'xbmc-j2meremote' on my xbmc box running Ubuntu (XBMC notified me "Detected new connection: J2ME remote") but when I tried connecting from the phone, it just wouldn't do it. I've read through the thread but couldn't find anything that helped, and I don't know what else to look at. It seems like the app hasn't gotten any attention for a while, and perhaps it's just not working on Dharma, but I don't know.

I don't think I'll pursue this particular program further since the last post on the thread that I linked to above was the developer saying the app wasn't finished, and I'm not sure if it will even give me more functionality than I can already get just by having my phone in HID mode to act as a remote to XBMC, which works great and is already working for me.

The initial catalyst for my quest was to find a J2ME app that would give me feedback from XBMC so I could browse music lists, see current track playing, etc all from my phone, so that I could play music through my phone and XBMC without needing to turn the projector on that my XBMC box is connected to, but alas, it just seems like that kind of functionality is only to be found on the apps for the newer platforms like android.

so in short, I think I just need to get a smartphone w/ android and use the XBMC remote control, and all this J2ME stuff; let it go man:-)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
remote control apps for feature phones?0