HFX fanless atom-ion overheating :(
Hi all.

Sorry for the bad language, but I am really tired after working with this all night, and its a bit difficult to explain my story.

I am trying to build a fanless xbmc computer but have problems with overheating I think. The problems also happen in bios so it is not specific to xbmc.

I have the following hardware:

Case: HFX Micro
http://www.mcubed-store.com/catalog/prod...861f04ae69

PSU: EF14 PSU 138W
http://www.hfx.at/index.php?option=com_c...Itemid=143

Mobo: Zotac IONITX-G-E
http://www.zotacusa.com/zotac-ionitx-g-e...board.html

SSD: Intel X25-V
http://www.intel.com/design/flash/nand/v...erview.htm

Ram: 1GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2

This setup is kind of the same as Andy's in this thread, where I also had posted some problems with starting up the motherboard.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=76463

I got it working with a new psu and motherboard (after a long break from the project), but now I have overheating problems (I think at least).

With the case lid off I didn't have any problems and it ran perfectly for a lot of testing, but when the case is fully assembled and closed it shuts down without warning after some time.

After some test I decided to see the temperatures in the bios, and went on monitoring those for a while after boot. The temperatures I can see in the bios is the MCP temp and CPU temp. Just before the crash the two temperatures were 45 and 44 celsius, which shouldn't cause a crash, but it did. I tried several times with the same result - shutdown around those temps. After this all my tests were done in bios, and by test I just mean let it idle in bios while I monitor the temps and see when it crashes.

I got the same result when I took out the SSD, and have tested without SSD in from then on.

I have tried to take off the lid and put my fingers on the mobo just after crash. 3-4 seconds after none of the parts feels that hot. The hottest thing is the power supply, but it is not burning hot at all, I don't feel any discomfort putting my fingers on.

I adjusted the heating blocks and pipes a little and loosened the mobo from case because it might got a little bended when I screwed it to the case, because the holes didn't fit that well.

Now the blcoks and pipes wasn't as tight and nicely placed as before because I wanted to test before I tightened up.

Then I tried letting the comp idle again in bios, and after some time it crashed again. It took around the same time as before I loosened and adjusted the blcoks and pipes, but just before the crash the MCP temp were around 55 and CPU temp around 48. I tried this several time with same result.

I find it pretty strange that with the blocks and pipes a little worse placed, the computer takes about the same time to crash, and with higher CPU and MCP temps.

To me it doesn't look like its the CPU or GPU overheating, but what do I do now?

With the case lid off, I have tried watching 2 whole 1080 movies without a problem...
A CPU temp of 44C should not cause a crash, even if that's not even the on die temp.

You say crash, but what actually happens? If you're watching the screen, looking at the temperature, how do you know when it crashes? Does it freeze, restart, or just turn off?
Asus AT5IONT-I in an A+ CUPID-3 + 2TB Seagate LP + 16GB SSD + Ubuntu + Samba + XBMC

AT5IONT-I Problems? Check out my Motherboard I/O Map for troubleshooting tips.
1. (a) Do you have any other memory you can test with? Sometimes the memory can cause stability issues.
1. (b) Do you have another power supply you can test with?

2. Is the motherboard seated correctly in the case? Sounds like you had some issues with getting it to fit in your case and might be shorting out.

3. Is the Mobo still under warranty? Zotac doesn't have the greatest reputation for quality (I've had to send back 2 video cards) and wouldn't surprise if you didn't just get a bad board.
Thanks for the replys.

When I say crashes, I mean it just shuts down, and instantly, like if you pulled the plug from the wall.

I have no other psu or ram to test with. My ram is on the list Zotac has of comp. ram.

I think you might be right with me damaging the motherboard when bending it, even though it wasn't very much. But it makes sense.

I have decided to try sending the motherboard back, and try with a ASUS AT3IONT-I DELUXE.

The Asus board have build in psu, so I just need to buy some new ram also. I will order the new motherboard + ram before I go to bed today, so should have in around 2 days.

I will keep you updated with what happens. Smile
Are you using the heatsinks that came with the case? That Zotac board is not listed as compatible. there may be some fluctuating temperature issues if the colling solution is not moounted properly on the chips.
Asus AT5IONT-I in an A+ CUPID-3 + 2TB Seagate LP + 16GB SSD + Ubuntu + Samba + XBMC

AT5IONT-I Problems? Check out my Motherboard I/O Map for troubleshooting tips.
I am using the Borgfx heatsinks from HFX:
http://www.hfx.at/index.php?option=com_c...r&Itemid=1

I choose the Zotac mobo because it was the one Andy used in this thread in his worked.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=76463

Do you think it would be a good idea to try the AT3IONT-I DELUXE?
It is not on Hfx' list of compatible motherboards, but it looks kind of old, with only one Atom board listed.
http://www.hifiatx.com/ftp/manuals/M2-miniITX.pdf

Anything else I can do to locate my problems, except trying with new hardware? I am rellay runnning out of ideas here.
Finally I got my fanless htpc up and running. Smile

I think that I have broken the previous Zotac motherboard somehow, and then I tried with the AT3IONT-I DELUXE mobo,and somehow I fucked up again and damaging the new Asus after placing the heatpipes and heatblocks. I tried the whole system a lot before switching the stock cooler block with the BorgFX heatpipe set, and nothing was working then.

Pretty tired of the project at that time, but I already got most of the component, so I decided to give it one last try with a new AT3IONT-I DELUXE. I had a friend over to help me with the heatpipe installation and everything went good, so now I finally have my system up and running.

One thing that might could have caused the broken mobos is my screwdriver, it is very strong magnetically, and I did'nt think of it before my friend mentioned it, and then we used another one.

Conclusion is so far, that you have to be very careful when you assemble this system, and that I might be a bit dumb. I still don't know what caused the damage, but I think its good advice (and obvious to many) that use a non-magnetic screwdriver, and dont tighten any of the srews too hard.

Rigth now I am trying out the Openelec xbmc, and it works very well. The fanart is very snappy, like instant, and much faster than when I tried the xbmc live image from this site. All my media plays perfectly so far, and so does the Killa sample I tested for fun. After monitoring temps a whole 1080p movie, the cpu was like 35-40 degree celcius at max, and the gpu was 50 celsius.

The remote control is very very snappy, like if you pressed the buttons on a connected keyboard. I was planing to use my Harmony One remote, but now I thiink I will keep using the Asus, if I can get some of the other keys to work, because it just owns. Smile

I am really happy with my build now. I really hope it stands the test of time.

Even thoguh I had some accidents, I hate to scare people of this build, if they are into it. It could be very easy, and just me being extraordnairy unlucky and stupid, and when its working it really is great.

I don't know if Shuttle will achieve the same result, but I already had a lot of my component when the fanless Shuttle was realesed.

I can try to write a detailed installation guide if anybody wants it, but don't know how much it will be woth coming from a guy who just "broke" 2 motherboards Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HFX fanless atom-ion overheating :(0