THIS IS NOT FOR THE NON COMMAND LINE FRIENDLY. I don't want this thread to devolve into basic linux 101.
If it doesn't make sense to you, please don't try it. You have been warned.
I got .deb's working thanks to johoja. Build the .debs in Linux. works great.
Davilla said it's best to not investigate plugin problems yet until ATV2 is part of mainline code, which at that point you probably shouldn't be reading this anyways so I am removing plugin bugs off this list.
If someone wants, feel free to start compiling a list of them elsewhere but keep in mind Davilla feels it's best to hold off so I don't know how much support is going to be dedicated to fixing them until the merge.
FIXES INCLUDED SINCE RELEASE:
- GUI speedup
- Webserver enabled
- RTMP support
- AC3/DTS Audio Dialogs
- Rotating (for the iphone/ipad build anyways)
- Screensaver dims now
- Time is wrong (see: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=91521 for fix)
- Bluetooth Support! http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=706041
- Samba patch - Windows Live Essentials patch
- 1st boot should always bring up XBMC now
- Sleep timer works!
- Library mode in Music should work now
NEEDS TESTED: (awaiting confirmation)
- 1080p file playback - Make sure to have 'Extract Thumbnails' and 'Sync playback to display' both turned off.
- Keyboard using an eventclient like XBMC Remote on iPhone doesn't seem to work.
- Images when scraping works sometimes now. Some are having probs, others aren't. Needs more investigation.
- Audio sync problems with MKVs? I have not experienced this, but several have reported it.
- Bluetooth keycodes should work now
- Last.fm submission is not working, but sometimes works? needs testing
WHATS STILL MISSING/BROKEN: (confirmed by davilla)
- MMS Support
- AC3 Audio can stutter and pause video. There's 4 things it could be. Detailing this in a later thread.
- 'Navigation sounds are disabled since they use SDL_mixer and there's no SDL in atv2/ios' Davilla said they will be brought back after merge to trunk.
- Visualizer is not working
- Pictures is loading up thumbs but not full pic?
- Not outputting Retina Display resolution on supported devices
- ISO Playback doesn't work
- SMB shares sometimes won't resolve, even by IP. Restart fixes it.
- Keyboard doesn't work on eventclient remotes because of: http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=708846&postcount=9
- LIBRARY SCANNING / SCRAPING causes xbmc to crash and/or the scraper itself. Turn off 'Generate Thumbnails' under Settings > File Types.
- With BT keyboards, some keys dont work. (Shift-R in library mode wont take to the R's for example) This will require a refactoring so no fix in the short term.
- Since all non h264-based codecs require software decoding, resolutions past SD are hard for XBMC to handle on ATV2/iOS.
- Interlacing is disabled on mpeg2. (maybe more?) No easy short-term fix.
- SSA Subs are broken
For a full changelog see: https://github.com/xbmc/atv2/commits/atv2
You can look at System Info to get GIT Revision (right arrow on system in main screen) or look at the date on the .deb file. Thats the date I did the git pull.
ADVICE ABOUT JAILBREAKING FROM DAVILLA:
< davilla> well, everyone that is playing with atv2/ios better be using tiny umbrella to save their shsh blobs. It's standard op for anyone doing jb's.
This may be required for unjailbreaking later down the road. You have been warned. See: http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/p/faq.html
(This does not mean we care about jailbreaking here, or you can post JB-related questions. You can't. It's just a protip.)
PRE INSTALL for ATV: (based off http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Ins...MC_on_ATV2)
Find the IP of the device
- $ ssh root@<your ATV2 IP address>
- $ root@<your ATV2 IP address>'s password: ''enter your password here, it should be "alpine" if you haven't changed it''
- $ apt-get install wget
- $ wget -O- http://apt.awkwardtv.org/awkwardtv.pub | apt-key add -
- $ echo "deb http://apt.awkwardtv.org/ stable main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/awkwardtv.list
- $ echo "deb http://mirrors.xbmc.org/apt/atv2 ./" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/xbmc.list
- $ apt-get update
PRE-INSTALL for iOS: iPhone 4/iPad/iPod Touch (based off http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Ins...Phone/iPad
- Tap the Cydia icon on your homescreen.
- Go to Manage - > Sources -> Edit -> Add (Sources -> Edit -> Add on iPad)
- Type in "http://mirrors.xbmc.org/apt/ios/" (Without the quotation marks)
- Tap on the teamXBMC source.
- Tap on the XBMC-IconPack icon.
- Tap install, then confirm.
- Let it install.
- Now search for OpenSSH and Apt Strict and install those too.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR INSTALLING/UPDATING THIS BUILD:
Find the IP of the device
- $ ssh root@<your iOS IP address>
- $ root@<your iOS IP address>'s password: ''enter your password here, it should be "alpine" if you haven't changed it''
- $ cd /private/var/tmp
- $ wget (url below for LATEST APPLICABLE .DEB)
- $ dpkg -i (file from url) (if this fails, run 'apt-get -f install' to resolve dependencies)
- $ rm -rf (file from url)
LATEST ATV2 DEB:
LATEST IOS DEB:
So if it's a new install, run through the pre-install. Then next section. When a new build drops all you need to do is run the 2nd set of instructions labeled 'installing/updating'. Got it? Good.
If you already have an XBMC package installed, use 'apt-cache search xbmc' to find out the name of it and then 'apt-get remove (name of package)' to remove it, if the process above doesn't upgrade it.
Let's try to keep discussion related to this build here and not bug the devs until we have verified the issue with others.
Some backstory of this project: http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=698...tcount=406
Davilla is the man!
And remember guys, donating helps everyone. Money, time, energy, etc. Anything you can help with can make a difference.
Join #xbmc-ios on freenode if you have any questions/comments/concerns about this build.