• 8(current)
[REL] PleXBMC
Firstly; Thanks for the amazing plugin, works perfectly!

Almost..

I'm trying to set up a portable version of XBMC (-p switch) on a usb drive. I used a fresh install and installed plexbmc while in portable mode. Installed fine, I configured my settings. However when I try to run it I get a little popup saying plugin error and nothing would load.

Log file:
Code:
13:50:33 T:3768 M:1148002304   ERROR: Error Type: exceptions.NameError
13:50:33 T:3768 M:1148002304   ERROR: Error Contents: global name 'etree' is not defined
13:50:33 T:3768 M:1147998208   ERROR: Traceback (most recent call last):
                                              File "U:\XBMC\portable_data\addons\plugin.video.plexbmc\default.py", line 3554, in ?
                                                ROOT(url)
                                              File "U:\XBMC\portable_data\addons\plugin.video.plexbmc\default.py", line 494, in ROOT
                                                tree = etree.fromstring(html)
                                            NameError: global name 'etree' is not defined

I'm no python expert but I think the above is the relevant part of the log. I checked with a working version (non portable) and there is no etree problem there.
Again, I'm no python expert so if you need the full log just ask.

Hope you can help.
First of all, thanks for the plugin. It really has brightened my week Smile Unfortunately I have a couple of problems:
  1. When the playback of file is finished the player automatically continues with the next one. If it is a movie it starts to play the next movie in the library, if it is a tv show it starts to play the next episode. This was not the case before the plugin. And when it does this and I stop the playback, the actual file I have watched is not marked as watched. If I want to rewatch it, XBMC asks me to start from the position I have stopped the next movie. I guess that is the reason it is not marked as watched, it thinks of it as a big stream. However, if I stop watching a movie at its end (like 30 seconds before its end), it is marked as watched.
  2. There seems to be a problem with the library update. It fetches data from PMS at startup. However even if I ask PleXBMC to update the library from the context menu (in movies section for instance), it pops up a message about start of the operation but I do not see newly added files.
  3. This last one may or may not be related to the plugin. I use Aeon Nox.PleXBMC skin, the modified version. In TV Shows, I set to use the InfoWall viewtype in a season folder. However any other season folder uses the default one. Before the plugin I was using normal Aeon Nox and this was not the case. Is there a way to do this?

My XBMC is 10.1 Dharma, setup by using the Live CD, running on a Atom N300 with ION chipset. The PMS is setup on a QNAP NAS box with the media files in the same box. If any debugging is needed, wit the right pointers I can do it myself. I am not very good with Python (just used it to write a couple of daemons for my NAS) but I believe I can be of help.

PS: It is just me or PMS is actually a little strange for a media server acronym?
bluepassat Wrote:i can see all the programs in the lists of the plugins however when i select the one i want to watch it says working........then item failed to play :confused2:

If you could turn on debug mode in the Plexbmc addon and then send me the xbmc.log file I'll have a look for you.

Bruut Wrote:I'm trying to set up a portable version of XBMC (-p switch) on a usb drive. I used a fresh install and installed plexbmc while in portable mode. Installed fine, I configured my settings. However when I try to run it I get a little popup saying plugin error and nothing would load.

Looks like it hasn't imported the required ElementTree modules. The script will try and number of different ways to do this (built-in, XBMC supplier or script supplied) - so it looks like one of these has failed. If you turn on debug in the PleXBMC addon (look in the addon settings) the xbmc.log file should show the version of python and the elementtree module being used. This might help locate the problem.

berserk Wrote:First of all, thanks for the plugin. It really has brightened my week Unfortunately I have a couple of problems:
1. When the playback of file is finished the player automatically continues with the next one.

Yeah, this is a problem with XBMC 10.1 and fixed in XBMC pre-EDEN. TO turn off auto next play for video, you need to go into XBMC settings -> music and turn off "automatically play next track". However this does mean that you can inly play single tracks in music. Unfortunately this is the only way (unless you move to a nightly build)

Quote:2. There seems to be a problem with the library update. It fetches data from PMS at startup. However even if I ask PleXBMC to update the library from the context menu (in movies section for instance), it pops up a message about start of the operation but I do not see newly added files.

This function kicks off as library update, but doesn't automatically refresh the data being displayed. The reason I don't is that there is no (easy) way to determine if the refresh has finished (or if not, how long it's going to take) - and therefore no way to signal back and update the listings. At best it allow you to signal for a refresh and then you will have to keep going in and out of the section to get updated data.

Quote:This last one may or may not be related to the plugin. I use Aeon Nox.PleXBMC skin, the modified version. In TV Shows, I set to use the InfoWall viewtype in a season folder. However any other season folder uses the default one. Before the plugin I was using normal Aeon Nox and this was not the case. Is there a way to do this?

So you set season to infoview and then when you go into a different season it's set back to default. The views are saved in the XBMC db, so I wonder if it is recording something slighty different for addons?

Quote:PS: It is just me or PMS is actually a little strange for a media server acronym?

yep Nod
hippojay Wrote:This function kicks off as library update, but doesn't automatically refresh the data being displayed. The reason I don't is that there is no (easy) way to determine if the refresh has finished (or if not, how long it's going to take) - and therefore no way to signal back and update the listings. At best it allow you to signal for a refresh and then you will have to keep going in and out of the section to get updated data.
yep Nod

Thanks for the answers. And about library updates, I thought it was about updating the PleXBMC library, I mean what it shows on Movies section for instance. From what I read above, however, I guess it sends an update request to PMS, causing it to start a library refresh operation. My problem is then unrelated to this. My PMS does its updates automatically. I use the "Update my library when changes to my folders are detected" setting. When XBMC starts and I enter the Movies section for the first time, PleXBMC connects the PMS and gets a movie list. But then that list keeps the same, I cannot get PleXBMC to obtain the new list from PMS. The only way is a restart of XBMC. Is there a way to do this?
Ok - I understand. XBMC sometimes caches views and this includes the listing data. I've only seen this when using an xbmc menu entry that takes you back to where you were - rather than accessing the plugin directly.

Is this with the aeon-noc.plexbmc skin? If so I'll check it out.

Alternatively I can create a context menu item that would force a Listing refresh - very straightforward to do.
hippojay Wrote:Ok - I understand. XBMC sometimes caches views and this includes the listing data. I've only seen this when using an xbmc menu entry that takes you back to where you were - rather than accessing the plugin directly.

Is this with the aeon-noc.plexbmc skin? If so I'll check it out.

Alternatively I can create a context menu item that would force a Listing refresh - very straightforward to do.

I tried to to check the skin, looked at the Home.xml file but could not understand whether it is about the view caching. I believe it is also nice to have the view cached, not loading it every time I access it. But a context menu item to force a refresh would be very nice. Anything I can help with?
i have a question...first id like to thank you for this awesome plugin, i use it everywhere.
i have a mac mini setup on my tv that runs PMS and gets its media from a nas. i also use this mac mini as my XBMC machine.
i like to use plexbmc so when i do and media changes it goes across all my computers that run xbmc.
i use the Aeon MQ2 skin in xbmc. there is an option to have a slideshow of fanart running when you are in the main menu under the music and movie catagories.
is there any way for it to pull the fanart from all my movies in PMS? and the same goes for all my music?

thanks again for your awesome work.
I've got PleXBMC running on two different computers and when i try to play a movie, i get "playback failed, one or more items failed to play, check the log file for details"

I've updated XBMC, uninstalled PleXBMC, rebooted and reinstalled. Its able to browse my files, just won't play them. I also have no problem accessing server:32400/manage/ from a browser

http://pastebin.com/aDeEFdnx

this jumps out at me: 22:14:45 T:4140 WARNING: could not find codec parameters for http://removed.homecomputer.com:32400/li...a94a340511

same problem both systems. please help!
Subject: Has anyone had any luck/success accessing and playing DVD content in nativ format (video_ts directory structure) from NAS server to PlexBMC client? The author of the PlexBMC says it is possible, but each time we try to "play" a movie, in XBMC we are simply shown the ifo and vob files and must select which one to play. Ideally we would like the "play" command to simply PLAY the movie (.ifo)

Hello,

The general idea of PlexBMC plugin to allow use of Plex Media server is really a good idea. It allows for larger scale XBMC deployments with single unified Movie MetaData database. GREAT!!

However our movie content was ripped from original DVD and stored in video_ts format on multiple NAS servers. (We used DVD FAB to rip the movies from original DVD)

Our application is using a central Plex Media Server on XP host. The actual content server with MOVIES (ripped in Native DVD format of video_ts directory structure) is on multiple NAS.

We have configured media manager Sections on PlexMedia server to point to each NAS server. We are not able to specify path to NAS server as smb://192.168.30.40, but rather we must associate the NAS as //192.168.30.40 in the section. Actually we can use "smb://192.168.30.40/share" in the section but it will not find/scrape the movies. But when we simply us "//192.168.30.40/share" in the section, we find that plex media server is able to scrape all movie meta data correctly.

As stated, all video is in native DVD (video_ts) format on NAS.

We are using XBMC on windows XP or win7 host with PlexBMC plug. XBMC is latest version with either AEON or Confluence skin

We are setting the XBMC to stacked, and setting the PlexBMC plugin to use smb:// so that the player (XBMC) will stream directly from NAS (not transcode/stream through Plex Server).

Regardless of what configuration we establish in XBMC client (or PlexBMC plugin) we are not able to launch DVD video_ts files correctly.

If anyone has had any luck with this please let us know.

Thanks
Sean
ok, added and fixed a few things based on the posts and PMs I've had over the last few weeks:

https://github.com/downloads/hippojay/pl...-EDEN3.zip
  • Added: Ability to request a listing refresh from the context menu. Requested by beserk over at XBMC.org
  • Added: Ability to force a DVD to playback via SMB (or local file if it exists). Based on whether an .ifo file exists. You need to make sure that the folder/directory is shared. Enable via the settings
  • Added: Ability to override the IP address used to playback via SMB. Enable via the settings.
  • Fixed: Playback of webkit/flash plugins (XBMC/FFMPEG was not converting the URL correctly...)

These are added *only* in the EDEN version of the plugin - because that's what I have available to test on at the moment. If I get the chance i'll port these back to the 1.9.6 version, but it might be a few days.
hippojay Wrote:These are added *only* in the EDEN version of the plugin - because that's what I have available to test on at the moment. If I get the chance i'll port these back to the 1.9.6 version, but it might be a few days.

That would be great if you could get the 1.9.6 version up and running, I have been testing it on EDEN and haven't had a problem! Thank you for solving the issue that I was having!

Great work,

Brandon
ive been banging my head against this for two days. I originally thought it was an issue with the neon skin however now i am rethinking that.

I am using the neon skin. I have tried this in both the stable release and nightly pre-eden without success.

This is what i want to do.

I have a PMS share called bluray. when i click "movies" on the main menu in xbmc I want it to bring up the bluray directory showing all the movies inside that directory.

currently what happens is i have to navigate to the plexbmc addon then to bluray then i can see the movies. i have to repeat this process every time i click on movies.

this functionality exists in the skins specifically modified for plexbmc i.e. ihave a menu item on the main menu called bluray, i click it and it shows all my bluray movies.

I can edit the xml files if that is what i need to do. if anyone can tell me what i am doing wrong or what i need to edit i would appreciate it.
coldhammer,

I have not heard of a PleXBMC compatible version of the Neon skin. From the first post:

Quote:I would recommend using a PleXBMC modified skin for best results

If you don’t have a skin modified for use with PleXBMC you won't be able to get your PMS shares to show up on the home menu.

If your skin is PleXBMC compatible you also need to go into Settings -> Skin and make sure the option is enabled to integrate the skin with Plex Media Server.

-Berylium
hippojay,

I installed the Mac XBMC nightly from 9/27/2011 and I’m using your latest version of PleXBMC for Eden (beta 3, I believe). I was running into some problems where a 1080p movie or 720p TV show would play fine (streaming from PMS .9.3.4) for a bit and then start stopping to buffer every few seconds.

I noticed that Mac OS X (10.6.8) was saying my startup disk was filling up. I found that in my userdata folder XBMC was creating several .png thumbnail files that are larger than 1GB. I’m not sure if that was affecting PleXBMC’s playback but it’s obviously a problem. It’s also almost certainly an XBMC problem not a PleXBMC problem. So I updated XBMC to the latest nightly from 10/03/2011.

With the nightly from 10/03 and every single nightly after 9/27 I run into the same problem. Everything seems to be working fine until I try to select a movie or TV show to play at which point nothing happens. Normally, once I scroll to a movie or TV show, I can hit Play on my Apple remote, a spinning “loading” badge will appear at the bottom of the screen for a couple seconds, and then the movie or TV show will begin playing. I don’t see any of that behavior on the nighties I’ve tried after 9/27. If, however, I hold down the Play button and bring up the details screen for the movie or TV show I can scroll over to the Play option, select it, and the movie will start up. Unfortunately, when I try to exit the movie (pressing the Menu button) XBMC will crash.

Here’s a XBMC log of the described event, if that’s at all helpful. http://pastebin.com/EsyFruqX

Is anyone else experiencing anything like this?

thanks,

berylium
Happens here too.
Thats why I use the 26/9 nightly. But they are a bit unstable. Probably has something to do with getting in whatever things before the soft freeze. Then again it might not neccesarily a XBMC bug. Maybe the addon needs an update.

For now it is still possible to play the files if you choose play inside the info screen. So that tells me that it should be an easy fix.
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[REL] PleXBMC3