• 2(current)
[REL] PleXBMC
Thanks all for clarifing your various positions. I think we'll probably submit a request and see what happens.

Ta
updated the plugin, added the FrontSeat skin, and released the homepage script to add PMS shares to FrontSeat home page.

http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topi...-exporter/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5i5Tm9cWQJA
Don't get your hopes up. I will veto this for inclusion in the xbmc official addons repo. I've stated my reasons and those reasons are firm.
davilla Wrote:Don't get your hopes up. I will veto this for inclusion in the xbmc official addons repo. I've stated my reasons and those reasons are firm.

I don't have my hopes up. It would be nice, but in the long run I don't care. I'll host it as long as people want it. I didn't bring up putting it in the repo. A community member did. Then your buds said it was possible, asong as it met the guidelines, that's all. Of course you then said you wouldn't block it. Nice to know you're consistent.

Host it, don't host it. Who gives a crap? I don't even use it.
davilla Wrote:The proper statement is I will not block it. I still don't support it's usage and will never give any tech support or assistance involving it.

davilla Wrote:Don't get your hopes up. I will veto this for inclusion in the xbmc official addons repo. I've stated my reasons and those reasons are firm.

I dont get it? which one is it? English isnt my native language but isnt vetoing something just the same as blocking it?

I wish you would reconsider. I love what youve done for the ios devices (and osx for that matter) and really prefer having my movies decoded on the devise rather than transcoded, atleast when Im at home on my local network. but scraping 1200+ movies and god knows how many tv episodes on a phone or a pad? Hardly seems user friendly.

I really want official xbmc support, installing these addons for jailbroken ios devices manually seems lika a pita.
RckStr Wrote:I dont get it? which one is it? English isnt my native language but isnt vetoing something just the same as blocking it?

I wish you would reconsider. I love what youve done for the ios devices (and osx for that matter) and really prefer having my movies decoded on the devise rather than transcoded, atleast when Im at home on my local network. but scraping 1200+ movies and god knows how many tv episodes on a phone or a pad? Hardly seems user friendly.

I really want official xbmc support, installing these addons for jailbroken ios devices manually seems lika a pita.

Since I started all this....

I don't use Plex, I install it once or twice a year to see what's going on. So I started all this because I thought that Plex finally opened PMS and that it would be nice to have this plug in in official repo. As I'm trying to make Front Row like skin, I even wanted to make skin support for it. Well I was wrong - Plex only published keys, keeping PMS closed.

To be sincere, I really like what they have done to improve library and management - they seam to have picked quite a few ideas from Xbmc forum as well :-) Still, it remains a closed thing.

IMO, Davilla is saying that as long as it stays closed he will not support it and will veto plugins for it in official repo. He won't, however, be blocking usage of those plugins - but you will be on your own. As I proved wrong in my presumption PMS was opened I must say I agree with Davilla's decision.

I can only hope that talented people in this forum, which are already making Mac apps, decide to step up and help devs make Xbmc Media Server/Media manager possible.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

Quote:The proper statement is I will not block it. I still don't support it's usage and will never give any tech support or assistance involving

Quote:Don't get your hopes up. I will veto this for inclusion in the xbmc official addons repo. I've stated my reasons and those reasons are firm.

First he won't block it, then he'll veto it. If you hate plex that much don't change your opinion. Own it. You do everywhere else. Put the fingers in the air. Wave them like you just don't care.

Instead of spending even the smallest amount of time that I am sure you've spent on this, go talk to the nitotv guys and figure out how to make it so users can hold down an appletv remote button and scroll instead of having to navigate large list libraries with single clicks.
Harley Hooligan Wrote:First he won't block it, then he'll veto it. If you hate plex that much don't change your opinion. Own it. You do everywhere else. Put the fingers in the air. Wave them like you just don't care.

How did you come to this conclusion?
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

pecinko Wrote:How did you come to this conclusion?

Talking about davilla. Sorry anout the confusion and my poor use of personal pronouns. Smile
Well - this is all a little disappointing and has obviously opened up a few divisions.

I'm not exactly sure what the issue is?
Plex (the client) is XBMC based and the source is available. It's not has much developement and lags behind the XBMC versions.

Plex (the server) is a closed source project not related to XBMC. Therefore the Plex guys can do what they like.

Now this plugin allows XBMC, the open source platform to talk to PMS, the closed source server. Plex client not involved.. This is obviously not that different to plugins for youtube, apple movie trailers, iPlayer, spotify, etc.....

I didn't write this plugin to piss anyone off, although it seems to have done just that to Davilla. I wrote it because:

One day, I wanted to put a film on while decorating my house. Rather than drag my TV up 2 flight of stairs to the attic, I grabbed my Windows laptop. I then configured file sharing on my Mac Mini and added a source to XBMC. I then had to scroll though all my directories trying to find something to watch. As my flms are split over 4 drives, I had to do this to all of them before I found something easy to watch..

What a ballache I though. If only Plex had a Windows client - I could start it, select movies and just scroll through a single list, skipping films I've seen already. I then realised that XBMC could do that with the right plugin.. I've never used Python before, but I learnt it for this one reason...

Now if XBMC had a centralised library (and I don't think the mysql solution is there yet) and had that extended functionality for streaming (so I can watch my TV in starbucks) then this would all be a moot point...

It seems to me that, somewhere along the way, it's got personal between some people from XBMC and Plex. It just a shame that this then effects the community as a whole. It also sours the good experiances I've had from people like J Marshall and Jezz_X.

I'm an optimist and I might submit this anyway.
pecinko Wrote:IMO, Davilla is saying that as long as it stays closed he will not support it and will veto plugins for it in official repo. He won't, however, be blocking usage of those plugins - but you will be on your own. As I proved wrong in my presumption PMS was opened I must say I agree with Davilla's decision.

If you are correct in your assumptions, I think Tobias has a more balanced perspective.

topfs2 Wrote:The addon talking to private and closed source is not really the issue as many other addons does that but what they have done to gain market is in a moral grey area as they have leveraged xbmc open source without really contributing anything significant back, however this is as said just moral stuff and their PMS is in fact completely separated and their IP (if we assume they aren't using floss stuff illegally in the server) and can be viewed as a server like any other closed equivalent.

Cheers,
Tobias

If someone could elaborate on "what they have done to gain marked" it would be great. As an uninformed bystander, this pissing contest seems redicilous, and it seems more harmful than helpful to XBMC and its users not to include support for a centralized media manager such as PMS. Especially considering the threads on this board regarding SQL databases that requires more configuration and leaves much to be desired.

Anyways, I`ll just read up on howto manually install the plugin. I saw a video Harley posted over at the Plex forum and it hardly looked difficult at all. Ill take it from there.
Notes from a sideline observer:

Pre Nine, Plex used to use a lot of XBMC source code, both in their backend, player, and the GUI. From What I can gather from the forums here, thye didn't give back much code, if any at all. This is a bit of a no no with GPL software, like XBMC. However, now, from what has been stated, Plex only uses the skinning engine from XBMC (which has been kept open source), and have not released the source code to their other parts, namely PMS, and make money on that closed source code.

Since Plex makes money, and utilizes GPL code but not in the part they sell, Davilla has stated that they have "gained market" on the back of the XBMC programmers who set up the skinning engine, because PMS would not be worth as much without the nice GUI to talk to it. This viewpoint is not completely out there, but as I can see, the facts can lead to different interpretations.
wasnt plex 8 open source? Im pretty sure it was, although I switched to xbmc right around when xbmc got confluence, and didnt pay much attention to Plex at that time.
Well, I think this discussion is futile. If this plugin doesn't get into the official repo because of principles, we will have to accept that. It's actually not hard at all to install it manually.
I have a Mini server running PMS, 1 ATV1, and 3 ATV2 running XBMC with this plugin. For me, it's just the best of both worlds. So I'm very, very thankful for this plugin!
Funnily enough, if I had developed this on my own (rather than with Harley) I was going to call it "Group Hug"....

(well, it was a close run thing with inPlexst)

Anyway, while we're at it, let's have another BETA version:
* added Music (inc iTunes) and Photos
* bug fixes

https://github.com/downloads/hippojay/pl...-1.5.9.zip
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[REL] PleXBMC3