[AppleTV2] XBMC will let me add shares, but then not access them
Ok, here is the problem I am having...

XBMC was working fine a few days ago. I made no changes to XBMC.

The problem started after I rearranged files and deleted old shares and created new ones (this is possibly unrelated, but the only thing that I did before it stopped working).

I then went into XBMC to map the new shares. For some reason, when I tried to do so the way I had before, selecting Windows Network, I got "Error 2: Network is not connected". I then went to "Add network location" as suggested in another thread. This allowed me to find and map the share... but... get this..

When I go to open the share, I get the error:
"Remote share
Network is not connected"

I can see the internet. If I go back to add network location, or to the location i added, I can still see the shares. The stupid thing is downloading tv show information for that share right now. And yet, when I try to access it so I can find and play a video, it tells me the network is not connected. Does anyone have any ideas? I am fresh out.
I was having this problem until I went into Network Settings>SMB Client and entered the IP address and workgroup name. You should then be able to select Windows Network without getting the Error 2 message.
These are Windows shares, so always make sure you have appropriate file permissions ("Security") under the folder, and also the share itself ("Share Permissions") has appropriate user permissions setup.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Entering the IP address in the SMB client seems to have done the job.

Man that was frustrating.

Thanks again!
That's the reason in my video, I chose using IP address over name resolution.

In my home, for appliance boxes such as the ATV, NAS or XBMC, I simply assign it a static IP address.

Then I access them via IP so you get rid of any issues such as name resolution and such, that doesn't usually have a dedicated box serving that role on a home network.

How to add SMB/Network source to XMBC

The more layers your remove, the less likely for errors or running into bugs. Plus, simpler is faster.

-Dazex
viirin Wrote:Thanks for the suggestions.

Entering the IP address in the SMB client seems to have done the job.

Man that was frustrating.

Thanks again!

I found this thread and I thought exactly what I was thinking, frustrating, couldn't believe the answer was right here and so simple. It only half worked for me. I can see my mac and that seems to be fine, although I didn't actually play anything. The volume on my airport however, actually added and I thought I was home free, then when I click on it, it asks me for the password and wont actually connect. I can see and access it from the mac and a pc on the network. Nothing has changed that I can tell, not the name, password or sharing, but I just cant get in with xbmc on Apple TV2.

Any thoughts?? I'm really pullin my hair out on this oneSad
skooter63 Wrote:I found this thread and I thought exactly what I was thinking, frustrating, couldn't believe the answer was right here and so simple. It only half worked for me. I can see my mac and that seems to be fine, although I didn't actually play anything. The volume on my airport however, actually added and I thought I was home free, then when I click on it, it asks me for the password and wont actually connect. I can see and access it from the mac and a pc on the network. Nothing has changed that I can tell, not the name, password or sharing, but I just cant get in with xbmc on Apple TV2.

Any thoughts?? I'm really pullin my hair out on this oneSad

What version of XBMC are you running. Seems like the latest builds fixed some SMB issues while also possibly introducing others.

Anyways, try isolating your problem. Since you watched the video, you are probably adding a source share properly. And the problem you're having probably lies with the Airport Extreme.

Let's remove the Airport Extreme from the equation. Try creating a movie share on your PC/Mac and drop a movie file there. Then try having XBMC access that new share. If everything works properly, you did two things.

1. Confirmed that you are adding a source properly from within XBMC.
2. The source of the problem is probably related to the Airport Extreme. Perhaps a permissions or protocol problem.

Anyways, it's helps to know if it's XBMC that's having a problem or the Airport Extreme.

And definitely make sure you are running the latest XBMC release.

-Dazex
I'm not sure where to find the version number. I Believe I am up to date unless there has been a new release in the last few days though. Real Head scratcher now, this am I try to play from the Mac as you suggested, plays fine. Then just for fun, I clicked on the source on my airport. It opened right up, didn't go to the lock screen or ask for the password. Great, right? Scroll through the files, it looks like they are all there, no art though, just default film strip icons. Press play on a file to see if it will play, it doesn't play.

Click on a subfolder, it goes to the lock screen and asks for the password. Leave the source, play from the mac again. Go back to the airport drive, it goes to the lock screen asks for the password and wont load. It says the network is unavailable, try again, same result. Exit XBMC, go back in and it opens right up, click play on a file and as of right now, it is still locked up, no error, no lock screen, not playingHuh?

Any more thoughts to continue trouble shooting?

Ok, not actually locked up. Just nothing happened. Tried a few more files, some immediately return "Playback failed", some just do nothing. Its not locking up, but it's not playing anything eitherHuh

Oh boy, open up root directory on airport drive, from mac, sub folders are there, music, movies, etc. Click on any sub folder, it shows 0 items, but the available space has not returned to full capacity and the files must be there somewhere as they are still showing in XBMC??
Eject disk, remount, all the files are there....

Well, I hope I am on to something.... I found the scraper for this source set to none... Didn't think it would make much difference but I went ahead and changed it to movies. I didn't notice any change but decided to check one of the sub folders, to my surprise it went right in, no lock screen. To my further surprise, one movie icon, so I thought lets try play... Bingo, it plays.... I notice another icon loading in this sub folder.... Hoping soon they will all play but as of right now, that one movie is the only one that will play.

Now I am getting operation not permitted (upon selecting the source), then when I select ok, I get another error saying could not connect to network. I don't understand why its coming and going and not all there when it works.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2] XBMC will let me add shares, but then not access them0