vdr , VNSI and XBMC - shutdown/inactivity
First i would like to check if this is the right place to ask for features regarding the integration between vdr and xbmc. Both having their own ideas about that.

Seeing some development going on in this area again, let me write down my thoughts:

1.) inactivity timeout: vdr is checking user activity, after 3 hours (configurable) of inactivity the vdr is requesting for shutdown - anything similar thinkable from XBMC perspective ?

2.) Shutdown blocking: vdr is checking his plugins , and custom scripts if its possible to shutdown ( i.e. recording going on, cutting going on etc). As XBMC seem to allways enable sleep, shutdown, quit xbmc in its shutdown dialog directly using system tools to do that, i miss how this part could be properly integrated. Is there anything where an addon could block the shutdown in XBMC ?

Where 1.) could maybe be missing, i dont see on how to live without 2.)

As ongoing recordings should be a problem with all pvr backends, anyone already has some thoughts on this ?

If using upower with xbmc, i could see that there is some consolekit functionality to forbid the shutdown during critical operations, but i'm not sure what the progress is on this, and if it should be really that abstract.
Hi,

I think the questions asked by steffen above might also be interesting for PVR backends like MythTV or TVHeadend.

Does TVHeadend or MythTV (or other PVR backends) have a feature to automatically shut down the machine with the PVR backend if
a) no recordings are scheduled in the next 30 minutes and
b) the user has not shown any interaction with the PVR backend for a defined time period (asleep on sofa...).

The automatic shutdown of course only makes sense if the PVR backend machine boots up automatically (via ACPI-Wakeup or NVRamWakeup) when a new TV recording is scheduled.

This automated boot up and shutdown is the default behaviour for many VDR installations.

Best regards,
hepi
yaVDR: HDTV and XBMC in your living room - based on Nvidia VDPAU, VDR and Ubuntu Linux
maybe you could mimic that behaviour with a little script. it's not possible from within tvheadend.
opdenkamp / dushmaniac

xbmc-pvr [Eden-PVR builds] [now included in mainline XBMC, so no more source link here :)]
personal website: [link]

Found a problem with PVR? Report it on Trac, under "PVR - core components". Please attach the full debug log.

If you like my work, please consider donating to me and/or Team XBMC.
The question is - where could be the hook for that. Only possibility we (yavdr) can think of at the moment is to patch XBMC and have a PVR shutdown handler. similar to upower etc.

The question is not on how to do that with vdr (thats working since years) - the question is how to transport that into XBMC PVR integration. Are all the machines 24/7 devices or you dont care for recordings going on ? Wink
Mythtv comes with a solution called mythwelcome, and back when i was a mythtv user, it was very good at controlling on/off time.

I'm now a tvheadend user, and have created a script that works like mythwelcome for tvheadend. It works for me, and one other user, who has kindly patched some of my dodgy python.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=94406

It works as an addon to XBMC, and the addon is run when you run the "power-off" function in XBMC. It checks the recording status of tvheadend, and decides whether to suspend, or stay awake until the recording is finished. When the computer resumes from sleep, it determines if the user turned it on, or it is waking up to record...

Maybe you could use the same logic for vdr?

Cheers,

Nathan
That sounds interesting, but it only works if XBMC is left with powerbutton right ? How make you sure its not left by menu, or is there any way to do this ? I'm pretty new to XBMC ... Thanks Nathan !

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
vdr , VNSI and XBMC - shutdown/inactivity0