• 6(current)
[RELEASE] - Vortex for Win32
Here is the example announcement preset I was talking about, save it as announce.ann in the announce folder and disable d3dex in the advanced settings. Let me know if it still works Big Grin.

Code:
float t;
float announce_time = 10;

Texture envTexture;
Mesh nameMesh;
int len = 0;

void Init()
{
   t = 0;
   envTexture.LoadTexture("spheremap_gracefilter.jpg");
   string name = CurrentTrackInfo.Title;
   nameMesh.CreateTextMesh( name, true );
   len = name.length();
}

void Render()
{
    t = t + (TIMEPASS / announce_time);
    if ( t > 1.0f)
    {
        t = 1.0f;
        FINISHED = true;
    }
    gfxSetEnvTexture(envTexture);
    float lookx = 0.0-(Cos(t*3.141592)*(len+6)*0.3);
    float eyex = ((t-0.5)*(len+4)*0.6);
    float eyez = 3.0*Sin(t*3.14159)*Sin(t*3.14159);

gfxLookAt(    eyex, 0, -eyez, lookx, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0 );
    gfxTranslate(0,0.2f,0);
    gfxDrawMesh( nameMesh );
}

I was thinking about generating the 3d font offline so it would work without having to disable d3dex but like everything else I never got around to it.

Nice work with your library! Vortex doesn't support including other files from the presets, it would be possible to add this but like you said I think a lot of your functions would be better as part of Vortex itself.

I'm currently rebuilding my old PC so I may have the source soon (assuming the hard drive hasn't died) and then we can start looking at adding some of your changes.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
OK, tried the announcement file (changed the texture file to one that actually exists in the installation Textures) in the Announcements folder with d3dex disabled and it did not produce anything when the songs changed.

I copied the file with extension .vtx into the Presets folder and triggered it manually, and it worked!

[Question] Will disabling d3dex affect any other function in XBMC/Kodi ?

I added another shape to the library: Speaker is the first composite shape I made, I put the preset SpeakersRain.vtx in my Vortex google drive.

I had a lot of fun playing with Vortex, even though it is as it is in XBMC. My vacations end this weekend, so my production of presets will diminish greatly, but I still want to help setting Vortex in shape, MrC, when your PC is up and running.

I think the todo list is being made:
* Update the samples type from int to float
* Add the library shapes to Vortex source
* Fix announcement handling
* Add debug functions in dedicated log file and/or on screen (debugging is a headache right now)
* Update Vortex wiki manual page
* Repopulate the Textures folder with more textures files

My personal suggestions for further Vortex improvement are:
* pre define some useful global variables: like TIME, PI, TAU, RAD2DEG, DEG2RAD
* add some useful classes: coor3D coor2Dxy coor2Dxz coorTex
* add some useful utility functions: like sign, fclamp ,iclamp.
* add color handling by its ARGB value (instead of having to split the R G B components)
* Allow loading textures from any XBMC path (so not only album art is available, but any graphics that is there)
* I would add also a predefined texture TEXTURE_ARTIST
* Allow creating textures from binary data inside the preset.
* On the wild side: Support animated GIFs texture files!
* almost forgot!: Preset management: create new type of preset: preset playlist

And for the Kodi team I would suggest that visualizations be allowed to be screen savers, maybe by defining a new folder in Vertex for the screen saver presets (presets that don't need music samples to run, just passing time)
Added RipplingSlice.vtx preset
Added AlbumArtGlass.vtx preset
Added SquareRipples.vtx preset
any chance to have Vortex in android too ?
This plugin is the best, but I'm having problems with it. Most of the time it works great but sometimes when I click to start a song the screen blanks out and I have to restart XBMC.

I have tried XBMC versions 13, 13 RC1, 13.1 and 13.2 on Windows 7 (32 bit) with the same outcome.

All the other visualisations (MilkDrop, DirectX) work fine? Any ideas?

Thanks
(2014-08-26, 03:01)HighStream Wrote: This plugin is the best, but I'm having problems with it. Most of the time it works great but sometimes when I click to start a song the screen blanks out and I have to restart XBMC.

I have tried XBMC versions 13, 13 RC1, 13.1 and 13.2 on Windows 7 (32 bit) with the same outcome.

All the other visualisations (MilkDrop, DirectX) work fine? Any ideas?

Thanks

Do you have Vortex installed by default with XBMC? Have you done any custom modifications to the presets?

Usually a blank screen comes up when the selected preset/transition does not compile. Does the audio also stop when this occurs?

I assume that you loose all control of XBMC, but just in case: did you try to stop the song with the remote or by pressing X?

For reference I have Vortex, as XBMC 13.1 installs it, on Win7 (32 bit) and I have not experienced any problems.
I removed all the presets I didn't like, I only want those with album art graphics.

The audio continued to play when the blank screen came up but I couldn't control XBMC at all.

I have re-installed XBMC 13.1 and left it as is, seems to be OK for now, is there a way to only select the presets I choose without running thru them all?

Thanks

--- EDIT ---

It just blanked again on a fresh install Sad
(2014-08-27, 02:51)HighStream Wrote: ...

The audio continued to play when the blank screen came up but I couldn't control XBMC at all.

I have re-installed XBMC 13.1 and left it as is, seems to be OK for now, is there a way to only select the presets I choose without running thru them all?

It just blanked again on a fresh install Sad

Then, these might be some logical conclusions:

1. If the audio continues and the screen blanks it is most probably related to video and in this case might be DirectX fault, which is used by Vortex. I have no idea how to debug DirectX problems, but if you have some time to do some tests may be we can check if some preset is the culprit of blanking DirectX: Move all presets but one from the Presets folder. Try XBMC for some time and see if it fails the same. If after a while you are sure the problem does not occur, probability is that some of the other presets is causing it, if, on the other hand, it does fail again, try it again with a different preset to rule out that you just picked the bad one.
(if you are anal about it, also check that your DirectX installation is OK or reinstall it as well)

2. While Vortex is running press P on the keyboard and select which preset you want. To prevent it from changing, change the setting to Lock the presets. The same menu can be called from the player's controls (the one to the right of settings)

3. Did you manually erase all before the fresh install (just thinking that there might be a possibility that files that are identical to the installation ones are not overwritten)
OK, I have reinstalled directX 11 from the Microsoft site. Then I went thru every preset 1 by 1 and found 1 of yours which crashes every time. That Preset is TrackTunnel.vtx.

Everything looks OK for now but the crash is totally random so I'm not getting my hopes up.

The rest of your presets are cool, especially the ones with Album Art, so thanks for them and your time.
(2014-08-28, 00:31)HighStream Wrote: OK, I have reinstalled directX 11 from the Microsoft site. Then I went thru every preset 1 by 1 and found 1 of yours which crashes every time. That Preset is TrackTunnel.vtx.

Everything looks OK for now but the crash is totally random so I'm not getting my hopes up.

The rest of your presets are cool, especially the ones with Album Art, so thanks for them and your time.

Yes, TrackTunnel has text in it, I probably should have put it as a comment inside the preset, text in Vortex does not work unless you disable d3d9ex DirectX feature in the advancedsettings.xml XBMC file. It is mentioned in this post several posts back, and in page 2 too, but a commnet in the preset itself will be better, I will update the file. It is also true for the TrackName.vtx preset.

MrC Wrote:...Also, the 3d font generation code doesn't work with D3D9ex which XBMC started using. You can disable d3dex in the advanced settings

The line to add is:

<allowd3d9ex>false</allowd3d9ex>
That must be it! After re-installing DirectX it was fine for 2 days then it crashed again today.

I just had a look in the userdata folder and found this file (created at the same time of the crash):

xbmc_stacktrace-13.1 Git_20140604-84725b0-20140829-145641.txt

Code:
Thread 3832 (process 2196)
# 0
# 1 Direct3DCreate9Ex
# 2 Direct3DCreate9Ex
# 3 Direct3DCreate9Ex
# 4 Direct3DShaderValidatorCreate9
# 5 Direct3DShaderValidatorCreate9
# 6 Direct3DShaderValidatorCreate9
# 7
# 8

I have disabled d3dex in advanced settings, I'm sure this will fix it. Thanks ilomambo
(2014-08-29, 18:29)HighStream Wrote: I have disabled d3dex in advanced settings, I'm sure this will fix it. Thanks ilomambo

You're welcome. I hope this solves it for you

Added some more presets and updated a few. Sort them by "Last Modified" to see the latest.
(2014-08-17, 10:01)MrC Wrote: ...
Some of your other questions:
* Is there a log somewhere to be used for debugger?
- You can bring up the debug log from the settings menu and you should be able to send strings to it from the presets by using Print("debug text");

Hi MrC, I am trying to keep my head from exploding. As my library grows bigger I am struggling with the most basic debugging.
In the Vortex settings there is no debug log option, did you mean something else?
I found the Settings.xml file where there is an option:

<setting id="ShowDebugConsole" value="false" />

when set to "true" the visualization screen shows, on the bottom left side, a bunch of horizontal bars of different length and colors (white,red and yellow). No text whatsoever can be read.

I unsuccessfully tried to find a dedicated log file for Vortex somewhere in the XBMC folders.
Any tips?
Is there any stand-alone lint or compiler for Vortex-angelscript?
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] - Vortex for Win324