Favorite Skin & Why!!
Thumbs Up 
Preface: I did a forum search and also used Google to search the XBMC Forums. The only thread I found similar to this was from 2008 and did not have many replies. No

Purpose: The goal of this thread is to share your favorite skin(s) for XBMC. Share which resolution you are running the skin on and reasons why it is your favorite skin. Nod

This will serve as a nice compilation of skin suggestions and recommendations. When posting the skin, you may want to link to the associated thread (or repo to get the skin from).

Hopefully others will find this useful. I figure it will at least be a good way to learn about skins you may not be aware of and share opinions on the skins you have used! Cool

The Question: What skin are you using and why is it your favorite?!
I will go ahead and start off with my personal favorite. As a newer XBMC user I have not had the time to tinker and play with all of the available themes... but I was instantly attracted to Alaska Revisited for a number of reasons.

First of all, I love the default theme of Alaska Revisited. The minimalist design provides a clean look and feel. The UI is snappy and the animations are smooth. Transitioning from the home icons and opening videos is snappy!

Secondly, the attention to detail and the gorgeous graphics caught my attention. The theme looks stunning on a 24" display... but it looks even better on a 55" 1080p TV Big Grin

Finally, I really love the theming options available with the skin. I will not get tired of this with all of the great themes available. The high-res backgrounds and color schemes are very attractive and professional looking.

I really have to give props to Hitcher for his efforts on this skin! Nod I am still willing to try other skins for XBMC, but I have to admit that it may be a while before I switch. Wink

[some others I am definitely planning to try are Xperience, Ellipses, Night, and Aeon]
reFocus
Fast and minimal. Just how I like it
Anything I do
Because I did it and it suits my needs
spencers Wrote:reFocus
Fast and minimal. Just how I like it

Awesome! Thanks for the tip... I checked out the screenshots and wow what a gorgeous theme. I like the clean style and design. Wink

Here is link for reFocus
Jezz_X Wrote:Anything I do
Because I did it and it suits my needs

haha Rofl I like that. Good answer. I was wondering which "skinner" would see this thread first... Shocked
Alaska Revisited Mod or Alaska Revisited. Both are very nice, and after trying lots of skins, those 2 are just wonderfull: they are simple, they look good and are very smooth.
You guys beat me to it but reFocus is the reason I switched from Plex to XBMC, sold the mac minis and become a Windows fanboy again Smile
XBMC Live: i3 530 / GT210 / 2GB / SSD + 2 x Zotac HD01 / 2GB / SSD
unRAID Pro: 6 x 1TB + 2 x 1.5TB + 2 x 2TB + 2 x 500G over GbE
HP Micro Server: SABnzbd+, Sickbeard, Couchpotato, uTorrent, Media Companion, MySQL, MKV Toolnix
Transparency!

Always supports the add-ons I want, plus I love fanart.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
The Carmichael..

I really like the feel of it. Alaska variations are also excellent.

I always recommend new users stick with confluence for a while, just to get used to xbmc. Its by far the most user friendly skin (probably why it's the default, lol)

cheers
HTPC 1 : Acer revo R3700 ion2 HTPC 2 :Apple TV2 HTPC 3 : Apple TV2 HTPC4 Acer revo R3700 ion2 Remote : x2 Riimote2
SERVER : 10TB Ubuntu Server 10.04, dual wintv nova hd s2 cards, tvheadend, Newcs, Omnikey reader, White *Sky uk* Card, Mysql Db, Sabnzbdplus, SickBeard, Couchpotato, FlexRaid. :cool:
--------------------------------------------
harryzimm Wrote:I always recommend new users stick with confluence for a while, just to get used to xbmc. Its by far the most user friendly skin (probably why it's the default, lol)

cheers

True! Sometimes it is difficult to learn the new skin if you are not familiar with the "intended behavior" of the default XBMC Confluence skin.
For me Fusion Genesis is simply the best skin available at this time find it here http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=88806
The interface is like nothing before it and best of all it works well with my Asrock Ion 330HT.
Plenty of viewtypes to suit most peoples needs/ clean textures and smooth animations.
But for those who love there media flags then sorry to say it does not support them.

Arcanthur has done a sterling job in creating this with only a few bugs which will be take care of in the next release. And it's only 20mb in sizeSmileSmile
XBMC Frodo 12 - Windows 7 - Asrock Ion 330HT - Aeon Nox
Neon of course - and Night a strong second.Rofl
-stoli-
Night

Lots of options, clean implementation, stability, good use of TV Logos and good view of fanart make it attractive and useful. Putting Movies and TV clearly in front (not tucked away under a menu) give it the edge over some other skins. The ability to easily add (without code) items to the home screen, or to submenus makes it able to grow as my installation changes.

Alaska Revisited

The only advantage Night has over Alaska is the easy addition of menu items. Were it not for this and Night's exceptionally appropriate use of TV logos, I would still be running Alaska Revisited now. Be that as it may, it would feel wrong not to give Alaska Revisted its due.

Ideally, there will one day be a mashup of both and I will list Alaskan Night as my favorite skin.
As a general rule, I try to switch my skin fairly frequently, but I've been using transparency quite a bit lately. I like lots of empty space for my pretty pictures.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Favorite Skin & Why!!1