Installing with out an internet connection ATV2
Question 
Just picked up my ATV2 and I wanted to load XBMC but I don't have an internet connection at home. So the install guid doesn't help me much and I just switched from Windows to osX so I know shit about what commands to use in the command line. I was looking for instructions on how to download and then how do I point the install to my desktop(where I plan to download to).

I've only been looking this up for 2 hours I could use a point in the right direction, even if that means a website that tell me how to use the command line. Thanks in advance.

PS:I've already PDF-ed a lot of threads about setup and linking it with an NAS and setting up SMB so really this should be it.
The install guide says it all really, although you are definitely going to need you mac and your atv2 to be connected to the same network.

Just open terminal on your mac and follow the guide, there's not a lot more that can be said.
Okay but I don't have have an internet connection and the command line seems to indicate the need for an internet connection as the install seems to be calling on an HTTP.
You wont be able to do it without the internet. Do you have a home network? if you do and its handing out DHCP than your atv could connect to shares, otherwise you cant even do that.

Also once your up and running its going to need the internet to scrape TV/Movie information... so really you dont have much you can do without the net. If you set it up at a friends place or something and get all the TV/Movie stuff downloaded you could probably bring it home and run as is.
As far as I know, an internet connection is required.

I guess it could be possible if you've already downloaded the files to just use an ssh client and drop them into the correct directory on the apple tv.

I assume you have jailbroken at this point?
You'd have to figure out all dependencies and basically setup your own apt repo in order to do that, or at least find all the packages by hand and dpkg -i them.

I would highly recommend just finding somewhere with open wifi and a tv and doing it there.
What's the point having an ATV2 when you don't have an internet connection ... :confused2:
Bomans Wrote:What's the point having an ATV2 when you don't have an internet connection ... :confused2:

Internal network?

It will be hard to install without an internet connection. Not impossible, but a pain in the butt.
Well I took it to my parents house and set it up there and then went home and now it can access all my movies that are formatted for it. I haven't set up XBMC on it because I wasn't sure if when I jb it at home if it would stick.

I'm using it with out internet as a media streamer for all my music and movies. Even with out it jail broken this is a cheaper solution than an HTPC or a nettop box. I plan on getting internet soon but I'll only be using netflix so internet for Atv is a low priority.

But I can at least confirm that once it's setup you don't need an internet connection. If I get a chance I'll take it to somewhere with internet to see if XBMC sticks when I run the JB at home.

Thanks for the help.
ultraorange Wrote:But I can at least confirm that once it's setup you don't need an internet connection. If I get a chance I'll take it to somewhere with internet to see if XBMC sticks when I run the JB at home.

The issue you'll likely run into is requiring a tethered boot. If you jailbreak an ATV /w the latest iOS firmware it'll only boot while tethered to a Mac.

So the jb will stick, but the ATV won't boot (/wo a Mac and microUSB cable). Jailbreaks for the current and previous iOS versions are linked to here:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Ins...MC_on_ATV2
You can do a tethered boot with a windows pc as well as a mac: Thread
donrosco Wrote:You can do a tethered boot with a windows pc as well as a mac: Thread

Looks a bit more complicated but good to know the option is there. Thx.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Installing with out an internet connection ATV20