proposed implementation details for stream functionality?
Hi,
Concerning the proposed streaming to android device functionality, I'd love to hear more details about implementation specifics, such as what components are needed, how you're thinking about doing it, etc.

From perusing this forum it seems like this question is mostly directed to 'freezy' though I'd be happy to hear from anyone in the know. I have dev experience, but not with multimedia, so I'm very interested in understanding exactly how you're thinking of doing it. It would be fun to dabble and get up to speed on the technologies you mention.

Just to get things started from my very limited view on the internals of XMBC and your remote app it seems like it would need:

-XBMC side would need a transcoding engine as you said; how would you implement this, as an add on? use an existing lib from mplayer, vlc, ffmpeg?
-for the transcoder, would it always encode on the fly, and possibly keep a cache of encoded media for different devices, or classifications of device types?
-encode to H.264 w/ quick and dirty encode settings to keep the load low on the XBMC system.
-the device would need to send at a minimum: screen resolution and rough processing power, possibly android version so the transcoder knows what to send it.
-decided format/protocol/encapsulation for media as it's streaming across IP

Is the remote control app using the newer JSON-API, or the older HTTP-API? I haven't read up much on JSON yet, but can you encapsulate the stream w/ in the JSON communication, or would it happen outside of that communication channel?

My apologies if this should be in the dev forum; it seemed like a toss-up since this question is very specific to just the remote control app for android.

Also, it would be interesting to hear where you're at with it, what's been done, or if it's just in the planning stage at this point.

Thanks for any info you throw my way!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
proposed implementation details for stream functionality?0