Reasonably Powerful Passive Cooled HTPC
Hi,
I'm looking to upgrade my bedroom HTPC. It's over 5 years old, so old the MB battery has run out! Smile Anyway, it's got a 2.7ghz Athlon and a passive cooled Radeon that is DXVA capable. It plays all 1080p clips no problem but struggles with some DVD box transitions on the nicer skins and is far from silent. I used to run CAD on it a while back and now I may have a need to run Solidworks on it again. It wouldn't need to be a CAD powerhouse as I use CAD all day at work and would only need to use it for CAD occasionally. It would just need to have room to install a full size graphics card and at least 4GB of RAM.

Can anyone tell me what the most capable (almost) silent PC I could get for a reasonable, say under £500 price is. Or would I be better off just upgrading my laptop for CAD and grabbing an Apple TV 2 or Revo 3700?

The priority would be the lack of noise as we don't like having to turn up the tv to drown out fan noise when our 3 year old daughter is asleep in the next room.
For CAD and truly passive this is the only chassis I know of:
http://atechfabrication.com/products/HeatSync_7000.htm

Make sure you're sitting down when you see the price.Shocked
Hmm, you're not wrong about the price. If that sort of price range is typical then I guess I should revise my ask to:

Can anyone reccomend a full size PC / case and mobo that are as quiet as a Revo?
A case is generally as quiet as the fans and HDDs you put in it. Go for something with plenty of 120mm fan bays and anti-vibration HDD mounts.

Most motherboards now have passive solutions for integrated chipset cooling, and if you go for one of the car-radiator looking coolers for the CPU, you won't need any internal fans at all.

Other than the graphics card. Though you can get massive aftermarket coolers that are much quieter than the stock coolers, if you don't mind voiding a few warranties.
Asus AT5IONT-I in an A+ CUPID-3 + 2TB Seagate LP + 16GB SSD + Ubuntu + Samba + XBMC

AT5IONT-I Problems? Check out my Motherboard I/O Map for troubleshooting tips.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Reasonably Powerful Passive Cooled HTPC0