Custom Build or Nettop? (Let the battle begin)
[mobo] GIGABYTE GA-MA78LMT-S2 AM3 Micro-ATX ($60 + $0)
[cpu] AMD Athlon X2 3.0GHz Dual-Core AM3 65W ($60 + $0)
[gpu] ASUS GeForce GT430 1GB DDR3 128-bit Low Profile ($70 + $0)
[case] SILVERSTONE ML03B Micro-ATX ($60 + $0)
[psu] CORSAIR Builder Series 430W 80+ ATX12V ($40 + $0)
TOTAL: $290

Smile
whoa, links are gone - guess it's a no-no

but why not the Intel BOXD510MO Intel Atom D510 Intel NM10 Mini ITX Motherboard/CPU Combo?

it's silent
Links posted sorry Smile
mr.sparkle Wrote:whoa, links are gone - guess it's a no-no

but why not the Intel BOXD510MO Intel Atom D510 Intel NM10 Mini ITX Motherboard/CPU Combo?

it's silent

Just to let people know this is what was posted first referring to your comment.

ASRock AD525PV3 Intel Atom D525 (1.8 GHz, Dual-Core)

For my self now I am really debating if I should build this from this post: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=92156

Or get a GT430 card and built something from this post.
Nice post eskro, as I said, you changed my mind from buying a nettop to building one myself.
How about this Mobo ASUS M4N68T-M V2 AM3 NVIDIA Geforce 7025/nForce 630a Does gigabyte LAN matter? or is 10/100Mbps LAN enough for the biostar from the first post?

Maybe this one is better:

ASRock 760GM-GS3 AM3 AMD 760G
The only thing I get nervous about is the PSU. That is one thing you cannot go skimpy on... because if you get a cheapo then it can start messing up your other hardware, corrupting data, and doing a lot more damage in the end! Might as well spend a tad more on a quality PSU to keep your mind a little more at ease. Wink

*UPDATE*: remember that with HTPCs noise is also a concern along with keeping components cool! with such a tiny case having a GT430 and 3.5" HDD crammed inside... along with an AMD dual-core... things may beging to get a little worrisome. I am not dogging on this build, just saying that spending a tad extra may turn out better results! The PSU fan is apparently pretty noisy in that case and I am not so sure the cooling is on par. Also might want to consider a 2.5" laptop drive for about the same cost as the 3.5". Laptop drives tend to at least be slightly cooler and quieter.... SSD obviously being the best (but most expensive).

I am a big fan of custom-built HTPCs... but maybe not the biggest fan of this particular build since I am doubting the overall "quality". No
what about the gigabyte LAN bmcclure937?? needed??
So, I am currently looking @ purchasing either a nettop box (like Zotac) or building a small device as an extender. I have a box in the living room that is in the closet that has 5TB of media and is connected to the 55in TV, now I want to expand it to the Den, connecting it to my TV in there. I also use netflix & hulu, so that is the reason I am worried with the Atom boxes. Some say they experience problems, others say they don't. Regardless, how loud is something like this?

Thanks!
bmcclure937 Wrote:I am a big fan of custom-built HTPCs... but maybe not the biggest fan of this particular build since I am doubting the overall "quality". No

No worries... thats why we ask first before we spend our hard working money on something that will fail. By the way I like your setup you have on your sig. Cool
eskro Wrote:what about the gigabyte LAN bmcclure937?? needed??

Technically, it is not needed (but I highly recommend).

For example, a BluRay has a max bitrate of about 40Mbps... so a 10/100 network will easily have enough overhead for streaming content as far as I am concerned. [40Mbps ~ 5MB/s and 100M network can handle 12-15MB/s]

You also would obviously not be concerned about GigE if you do not have gigabit capable hardware (gigabit switches or a router with built in GigE switch). The reason I recommend GigE is transferring files around on my home LAN. It also does not hurt to have the extra overhead for streaming.

I could also be completely off of my rocker and not be factoring in other aspects. AFAIK, it does not hurt to have the GigE because then your network is definitely not a bottleneck in the process. It also allows your HTPC to cache and buffer stuff (at least from what I understand).

I hope this helps. Oo
ok, i think it might be good to have indeed,,,
futur proof wise, its good,,,
updating build, check first post!
Eskro, don't forget to add in the price of the OS also, especially if you want to play Netflix on this box. Linux cannot play netflix @ the moment... Sad
no no no,,,
i wont add the OS price,,,
im just trying to build a HTPC to proove that with pretty much the same price as a NETTOP
you can have a powerful little custom HTPC Smile
I just built an HTPC that plays everything I can throw at it for $155 shipped. I threw an old 80gb HD in her and its smooth sailing. I took a gamble unlocking a single core sempron but it worked out perfectly. And the onboard Radeon 4250 runs 1080p no sweat at all. Although maybe down the road ill pop a 430 in there.

[MOBO] BIOSTAR A880G+ AM3 $50

[RAM] Geil 2GB DDR3 $20

[CASE] PIXXO CM-8 $50

[CPU] AMD Sempron Single Core (unlocked to Dual Core) $35

Just my two cents. Granted, its not as fast as the build posted by eskro and relies on a slight bit of luck and extra hardware laying aroun but either way I don't think building your own be beat. :-)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Custom Build or Nettop? (Let the battle begin)0