Linux Need help getting my URC R50 universal remote working with XBMCbuntu
EDIT: See latest post for relevant question! (wiki)

Hi guys,

Finally got sick of all the remotes I had to use to control my home theater setup and invested in a URC-R50 universal remote. So far, I'm loving it.

At the moment my remote is set up to control my 2.1 system, TV, and DVR. I'd like to have it also control XBMC, which is running on my Win7 laptop. I've done a lot of reading in the how-to threads in the forum here and I haven't found any how-to specifically for this circumstance--most are for MCE remotes or the Harmony remotes, which use PC-based programming, while the R50 is programmed entirely in-remote or by learning from other remotes.

I don't yet have an IR dongle for the laptop, mostly because I don't know what kind to get (I've heard the HP media center dongle is pretty good and cheap).

So, what I need to know is:

1. What kind of IR dongle should I get?
2. What software do I need to control XBMC via IR?
3. How do I program the R50 to control XBMC?

Any and all help would be appreciated!
deadwolfbones Wrote:Hi guys,

Finally got sick of all the remotes I had to use to control my home theater setup and invested in a URC-R50 universal remote. So far, I'm loving it.

At the moment my remote is set up to control my 2.1 system, TV, and DVR. I'd like to have it also control XBMC, which is running on my Win7 laptop. I've done a lot of reading in the how-to threads in the forum here and I haven't found any how-to specifically for this circumstance--most are for MCE remotes or the Harmony remotes, which use PC-based programming, while the R50 is programmed entirely in-remote or by learning from other remotes.

I don't yet have an IR dongle for the laptop, mostly because I don't know what kind to get (I've heard the HP media center dongle is pretty good and cheap).

So, what I need to know is:

1. What kind of IR dongle should I get?
2. What software do I need to control XBMC via IR?
3. How do I program the R50 to control XBMC?

Any and all help would be appreciated!

1. You should get a RC6 remote/receiver combo such as this (as long as it's RC6, it should work with no problem)

http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-Remote-Receiver-M...2eb1d81696

2. No need to install any extra software.

3. Go to the setup page on the R50 manual and find Media Center PC device code. I don't have the R50 (using Harmony), but have looked into R50 a long time ago. The usual way to program this is to find the code and program it on the R50. Afterward, check the remote keys and also on the LCD screen for that device to see if you got all keys that needed for XBMC.

4. For universal remote such as this, it's always prudent to get the remote, too (remote and receiver combo), so you can learn the signals (raw learn) from the remote if the URC database does not provide the codes you need. People who use Harmony remote don't need the combo, an RC6 receiver would be all they need.

5. Should you find a key that was not provided by the R50 database and not possible to learn from the remote, then you can modify the keyboard.xml to bind a spare key to a XBMC action. Pressing that key on the R50 remote will execute the action.
bodhi Wrote:1. You should get a RC6 remote/receiver combo such as this (as long as it's RC6, it should work with no problem)

http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-Remote-Receiver-M...2eb1d81696

2. No need to install any extra software.

3. Go to the setup page on the R50 manual and find Media Center PC device code. I don't have the R50 (using Harmony), but have looked into R50 a long time ago. The usual way to program this is to find the code and program it on the R50. Afterward, check the remote keys and also on the LCD screen for that device to see if you got all keys that needed for XBMC.

4. For universal remote such as this, it's always prudent to get the remote, too (remote and receiver combo), so you can learn the signals (raw learn) from the remote if the URC database does not provide the codes you need. People who use Harmony remote don't need the combo, an RC6 receiver would be all they need.

5. Should you find a key that was not provided by the R50 database and not possible to learn from the remote, then you can modify the keyboard.xml to bind a spare key to a XBMC action. Pressing that key on the R50 remote will execute the action.

Thanks very much for the helpful info!

Picked this one up!
Ok, got it and got it working pretty well. My only issue now is that I need to map a button to toggle subtitles, and maybe one to choose the next/previous subtitle for videos with multiples.

I've done a lot of reading and come up completely befuddled on how to get it programmed. Any hints for the helpless n00b?

bodhi Wrote:5. Should you find a key that was not provided by the R50 database and not possible to learn from the remote, then you can modify the keyboard.xml to bind a spare key to a XBMC action. Pressing that key on the R50 remote will execute the action.

This seems to indicate it's as simple as editing the keyboard.xml file, but I don't know how the keys on the remote are defined by XBMC...
deadwolfbones Wrote:Ok, got it and got it working pretty well. My only issue now is that I need to map a button to toggle subtitles, and maybe one to choose the next/previous subtitle for videos with multiples.

I've done a lot of reading and come up completely befuddled on how to get it programmed. Any hints for the helpless n00b?

This seems to indicate it's as simple as editing the keyboard.xml file, but I don't know how the keys on the remote are defined by XBMC...

Simple I think! if you programmed your remote to send a Basic MCE remote keystrokes then use showkey.exe to find out what code each button send. Launch showkey.exe and point your remote to the IR receiver then press on the button that you want to use.

Then Showkey will show you the string that you need to use in keyboard.xml to make the button do whatever you need.

Post it here and we will be able to help you with keyboard.xml

Cheers,
EG.
Great, thanks. I'll give it a try when I get home. Smile

(It was your guide I used to set up the remote, so this should work, I think.)
ok...

KeyID: 56 (0x38) - VK_8
Mod: Ctrl Shift
Code: <eight mod="ctrl,shift">Notification(Key, eight, 3)</eight>

If I'm understanding the keyboard.xml format correctly, this means I should put:

<eight mod="ctrl,shift">ShowSubtitles</eight>

...in the same section as the other "MS Media Center keyboard shortcuts sent by MCE remotes," correct?
Nevermind, figured it out. Has to go in the FullscreenVideo section. Cool
Necrobump!

Ok, just reinstalled XBMC, and this time went with XBMCbuntu instead of XBMC in Win7.

Everything is working great except that some of the keys on my URC R50 don't do what they used to. For instance, the EXIT key now either brings up the weather (on the main menu) or tries to delete videos/songs (in the video and music menus).

Anyone have a concise guide for the differences in setting up this sort of remote under XBMCbuntu and Win7?
Also if an admin can move this to the appropriate subforum that'd be great. Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Need help getting my URC R50 universal remote working with XBMCbuntu0