• 3(current)
[AppleTV2]HOWTO Enable BT Keyboard support
gavjbrown Wrote:Can anyone help with this. Now that I am using the 29/1 update and have my mini bluetooth keyboard working much better except I get an "a" when I press the enter key.
All other keys seem fine.

This is the keyboard http://www.focalprice.com/IPA99B/Mini_Co...Black.html

I have the exact same keyboard and I only get "A" when i press enter. That's all, other keys don't work. What did you do to get it to work ?
Arctic MC001 + Openelec
piotr Wrote:I have the exact same keyboard and I only get "A" when i press enter. That's all, other keys don't work. What did you do to get it to work ?

I did the update in the first post here http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=92261

Then did what it says in the first post in this thread.

I dont know if it matters which way round its done.
BT Keyboard working in 010211 build ! Great work.
Arctic MC001 + Openelec
I'm just happy that I finally got the damned thing jailbroken, so this isn't a huge deal for me, but I was trying to get the bt keyboard thing working and got the following while trying to install ch.ringwald.keyboard-atv

Quote:The following packages have unmet dependencies:
ch.ringwald.keyboard-atv: Depends: ch.ringwald.btstack but it is not installable
E: Broken packages
Works on a Think Outside BT keyboard.
piotr Wrote:I have the exact same keyboard and I only get "A" when i press enter. That's all, other keys don't work. What did you do to get it to work ?

You guys get an "a" because that's the key that is highlighted by default when the keyboard GUI is displayed. Hitting enter merely chooses where the cursor is currently highlighted.

For the person that can actually type and use their keyboard, you should be able to use the arrow keys to move the cursor around.
When reporting keyboard experiences, please clarify where you are trying keyboard input and with what XBMC build. Neohusky's example is a good start.
I was able to try an Apple keyboard recently (thanks David), and my results are

YouTube(frontrow): Arrows(Yes), Esc(Yes), Return(Yes), TextEntry(No)
XBMC-4/2: Arrows(Yes), Esc(Yes), Return(Yes), TextEntry(Yes)

So I get the same "a only works" behavior in lowtide, but all keys and key combinations (caps, symbols) work as expected when for example adding a source in XBMC.

According to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIvaRD-Ugis keyboard text input should also work in frontrow (i.e. outside of XBMC), but I don't know if this version made it to the awkwardtv repo http://apt.awkwardtv.org/Packages. Even though repo's date is later than the video announcement, I couldn't make it work. Anyone successful?

Edit: I received the following feedback from Matthias:
"Apple changed the way text is entered from 4.1 to 4.2.1, and TomCool updated hid-support to handle that.
I've submitted the latest version of hid-support to the BigBoss repository, as I'm using it for other iPhone projects. It should be available soon and will have the version 0.1.0-1"

And a quick google search shows that it should be available already:
http://apt.thebigboss.org/onepackage.php...upport&db=

So I'm hoping fixing keyboard input in lowtide under 4.2.1 will be as simple as "apt-get update" and "apt-get upgrade". I can't test until tonight though.
Hi guys. Sorry for the noob question, but any chance of this working with a PS3 kb? The ATV2 isn't finding it, so maybe there's something unique/proprietary about that device...?
Question 
Kudos to all developers who made and make XBMC possible on ATV2/iOS. Its a really great work!

I had connected my Logitech DiNovo Mini Bluetooth keyboard to the ATV2. It was working great in XBMC. In Lowtide only cursor and enter keys worked.

I don't know if it is connected to the changes described by pvautrin but after applying the apt-get update and apt-get upgrade i can't pair the Mini with the ATV2 anymore. It is found and recognised but it never leaves the connecting screen... to the one where 0000 would be entered.

Is there any way to revert to the old btstack to test if pairing is then working again?

- it may very vell be that the problem is not related the changes so no offense against the author (even if it should be) -

I'm very grateful for trying to extend the keyboard functionality to Lowtide!
SlrG,

It is indeed most likely related to the update of package since I also upgraded and faced difficulties yesterday to pair keyboard again. I even had AppleTV crash repeatedly when selecting the Apple Keyboard. I was able to get to the 0000 phase once however, after pairing the keyboard with another device first. But pairing didn't complete.
I thought a new tethered boot would clear things up, but I ended up losing Ethernet in the process. I spent the rest of last evening reinstalling everything (custom firmware and all) so I will only test BTstack again tonight. If it still doesn't pair, I'll send the logs to Matthias for comments.

Edit: I was able to pair again keyboard. You have to type 0000 on keyboard during the connecting screen (and not wait for the "input 0000" screen). I initially had some strange key events that seemed to add Esc to every arrow movement, but this went away after starting XBMC. So everything works for me, including waking up ATV2 from BT keyboard (yes, ATV2 has wake on BT Wink
pvautrin Wrote:Edit: I was able to pair again keyboard. You have to type 0000 on keyboard during the connecting screen (and not wait for the "input 0000" screen). I initially had some strange key events that seemed to add Esc to every arrow movement, but this went away after starting XBMC. So everything works for me, including waking up ATV2 from BT keyboard (yes, ATV2 has wake on BT Wink

Sadly this isn't working for me. I tried it again and again. But no luck.

I was able to revert to the old situation however by going to /var/cache/apt/archives where the old versions are cached. I did an killall Apple TV and then uninstalled the new packages with apt-get remove ... Afterwards I installed the old versions from the archive folder with dpkg -i ...

Going back to Lowtide and starting the BTStack the DiNovoMini connected instantly. I didn't even have to pair. So I would say the changes are indeed responsible. Keyboard is now working fine in XBMC but only elementary in Lowtide.

@pvautrin:
Where are those "logs" you are talking about and how did you contact Matthias?

kind regards

SlrG
BTstack and keyboardd logs are in /var/log
I got Matthias email from his project page in one of the comments here
http://code.google.com/p/btstack/wiki/MatthiasProjects

I actually just finished wiping and reinstalling ATV2 following the untethered RC6 release and can give step by step what worked for me:
- first, pair keyboard with another computer and then shut down keyboard via long press
- install org.torg.tomcool.btstack-ui
- reboot (now trivial since untethered)
- start search from BTstack
- turn on keyboard -> Lowtide crashes and restarts
- retry with keyboard turned on (green light blinking) before search
- this time selecting keyboard no longer crashes and pairing completes (but with some key artifacts)
- make ATV2 sleep, and on wake up everything should work

Hope this helps
Did the untethered jailbreak too today. DiNovoMini keyboard is working in Lowtide and XBMC. It has now US layout however, which I don't remember being the case before. Anybody an idea how I could change to german?
pvautrin Wrote:BTstack and keyboardd logs are in /var/log
I got Matthias email from his project page in one of the comments here
http://code.google.com/p/btstack/wiki/MatthiasProjects

I actually just finished wiping and reinstalling ATV2 following the untethered RC6 release and can give step by step what worked for me:
- first, pair keyboard with another computer and then shut down keyboard via long press
- install org.torg.tomcool.btstack-ui
- reboot (now trivial since untethered)
- start search from BTstack
- turn on keyboard -> Lowtide crashes and restarts
- retry with keyboard turned on (green light blinking) before search
- start BTstack and pair your Keyboard, type the 0000 and hit enter
- this time selecting keyboard no longer crashes and pairing completes (but with some key artifacts)
- make ATV2 sleep, and on wake up everything should work

Hope this helps

Thank you very much.
You make my day Big Grin
Robi
OP thanks for the info works great with my apple kb...
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2]HOWTO Enable BT Keyboard support0