"Preferred" / "Future Proof" Video Format for DVD rips?
Question 
Hi,

I'm just getting started with XBMC, and wanted to ask what people consider the "best" / "preferred" / "future proof" video format is when ripping your own DVDs (movies / TV shows):
1). Xvid
2). Divx
3). MPEG4
4). AVCHD
5). MPEG
6). M2TS

I'm looking for what format will give me the "best" / "least lossy" videos for playing on my 1080p TV.

TIA,

RocketDude
separate 3 things:

Codec for video (mpeg2, h264)
Codec for audio (AC3, DTS, MP2, MP3)
Container (mkv, mov, avi)

considerations:
Keep subtitels?
Storage space ?
Quality?
Menu's ?
Multiple audio or video tracks?
1 file (ISO) or separate files
etc..

DVD is not the best source material. So before ripping all your DVD's consider this. How much time do you have to spent for DVD quality. Or go on a bargain hunt so search for Blu-ray versions of your movies and TV series
MBP late 2009 - TimeCapsule 2TB - Harmony One+ - Readynas NV+ 8TB RAID5 - Mac Mini late 2009 with 10.9.0 and VDA - Panasonic TX-PG420ES -
idioteque,

Let me take the easy part first:
Keep subtitels: No
Storage space: Not an issue
Quality: The best I can get from a ripped DVD
Menu's: Don't care
Multiple audio or video tracks: No -- just the main video + English Audio track
1 file (ISO) or separate files: 1 file per movie / TV episode

At this point, I have a bunch of material on DVD (movies, TV shows, Tour de France videos, etc.) that I don't want to repurchase. So while Blue-ray might be the best source material going forward, right now I'm just trying to deal with the legacy video I already own.

So suggestions for:
Codec for video (mpeg2, h264)
Codec for audio (AC3, DTS, MP2, MP3)
Container (mkv, mov, avi)

XBMC System:
Zotac HD-ID40
4GB RAM
40GB OCZ Vertex2
XBMC 10.0 on top of Windows 7 x64

TIA,

RocketDude
As space is not an issue then I would have said just rip to either video files (VIDEO_TS) or to ISO but as your not bothered about menus then I would put just the main video and audio in a mkv container you can do this easily with Makemkv

None of those methods do any encoding so your get original quality
>>X<<' Wrote:As space is not an issue then I would have said just rip to either video files (VIDEO_TS) or to ISO but as your not bothered about menus then I would put just the main video and audio in a mkv container you can do this easily with Makemkv

None of those methods do any encoding so your get original quality

Totally agree, and I personally go with the MKV container route.

Cheers,
EG.
Like what was said, if space isnt a consideration and you want the best quality then don't re-encode to another format, just rip and use a container of choice. (e.g. ISO, mkv, VIDEO_TS)
Thanks everyone, I will give Makemv a shot.

Cheers,

RocketDude
http://handbrake.fr/downloads.php

https://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php...99&p=88826
+1 for MakeMKV. You can't get any better than this.
XBMC Live: i3 530 / GT210 / 2GB / SSD + 2 x Zotac HD01 / 2GB / SSD
unRAID Pro: 6 x 1TB + 2 x 1.5TB + 2 x 2TB + 2 x 500G over GbE
HP Micro Server: SABnzbd+, Sickbeard, Couchpotato, uTorrent, Media Companion, MySQL, MKV Toolnix
+1 Makemkv, just ripped 250 dvd's with it. Hasn't failed me yet and the quality is 1:1
mkv seems to be the ultimate container right now. Subtitles, multiple audio.
x264/h264 for codec, plus it's hardware accelerated.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
maxinc Wrote:You can't get any better than this.
Rolleyes

spamtomas Wrote:(...) and the quality is 1:1
RolleyesRolleyes
spamtomas Wrote:...and the quality is 1:1

TomPiXX Wrote:RolleyesRolleyes

Not sure what you are trying to get at, but it is true that using makemkv will give you identical quality to the source DVD since you aren't re-encoding. Handbrake will give you smaller file size and can get you near transparency to the source, but it will take more time to re-encode and since the OP has stated that space is not an issue but quality is, keeping the source video untouched just makes more sense.
gabbott Wrote:Not sure what you are trying to get at, but it is true that using makemkv will give you identical quality to the source DVD since you aren't re-encoding. Handbrake will give you smaller file size and can get you near transparency to the source, but it will take more time to re-encode and since the OP has stated that space is not an issue but quality is, keeping the source video untouched just makes more sense.

Yes, but nobody wrote about just muxing or not encoding.
Please don't misunderstand me, but I don't like flat statements.

Somebody takes a quick look into this forum, found this post and thinks "hey, wow, makemkv is a god app"...
You know what I want to say...
TomPiXX Wrote:Somebody takes a quick look into this forum, found this post and thinks "hey, wow, makemkv is a god app"...

Which happens to be true giving the OPs description. Handbrake is a great app where storage space is an issue but any transcoding = loss of quality and Handbrake transcodes whereas MakeMVK is lossless.
XBMC Live: i3 530 / GT210 / 2GB / SSD + 2 x Zotac HD01 / 2GB / SSD
unRAID Pro: 6 x 1TB + 2 x 1.5TB + 2 x 2TB + 2 x 500G over GbE
HP Micro Server: SABnzbd+, Sickbeard, Couchpotato, uTorrent, Media Companion, MySQL, MKV Toolnix

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"Preferred" / "Future Proof" Video Format for DVD rips?0