Ordered Parts For First HTPC
Hi there I just ordered the following parts for my first HTPC, and I plan on running XBMC do you think this run it well. All my media is stored on a freenas server so I will be accessing it threw Gigabit Network thats why I only ordered 1 hard drive. Thanks

Order Details

Intel Core i3 540 Dual Core Processor Clarkdale LGA1156 3.06GHZ Hyperthreading 4MB Cache Retail Box
$107.27

Gigabyte H55N-USB3 Mini ITX LGA1156 H55 DDR3 1PCI-E16 DVI HDMI Sound GBLAN eSATA USB3.0 Motherboard
$99.29

Apex MI-008 MINI-ITX Case Glossy Black 1X5.25 1X3.5 1X3.5INT Sfx 250W Front Audio USB
$44.44

G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL Ripjaws PC3-12800 4GB 2X2GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Core i5 1.5V Memory Kit
$43.00

Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA3 6GB/S 7200RPM 64MB Cache 3.5IN Dual Proc Hard Drive OEM
$79.79

$439.79
your build is expensive...
because you want to stick with mini-ITX form factor, your paying big $$$
your Motherboard is pricey....

and the Core i3 CPU is overkill for HTPC's....
not saying its not good, but its overkill.... and pricey....
i would understand if you would like to play heavy PC games...
but if not, its an overkill ,,,,

Apex case is pricey and i wouldn't trust its PSU for you particular build.... 250w....

change your Western Digital Caviar Black for a 30GB SSD... can'T beat that!!

where's your video card?
he's saving the bit of cash cause the cpu has built in graphics in that I3 series of chip, shop a bit more for a bit better pricing though, still waiting myself

I think i'm going to go the amd route though but I'm not sure of the motherboards yet, any recommendations on boards cause all the 780 880 stuff has me confused, frigging chipsets drive me nuts
well it depends what u want here nowisn...

u need USB 3.0 ports?
u need onboard video?
u need eSATA ports?
These prices are also in CAD as im from BC, Canada. And I have edited my original post because I think you guys got the prices mixed up. I have already ordered so I cant change anything. Will the WD Black still be quite a bit faster than the WD Green. Thx
It looks fine, ignore eskro. Only thing I would consider changing is the harddrive. If your not storing media locally then 1TB is overkill and a small SSD offers far better performance.

What OS are you using? Intel graphics under Linux is a bit hit and miss, but if it gets too hard you can always add a discrete graphics card later.
PANiCnz Wrote:ignore eskro

thats funny
Okay just ordered OCZ Vertex 2 60gb SSD will that be good for Windows 7 and and XBMC. Thanks
more then enough....

windows7 x86 needs ~16GB
windows7 x64 needs ~20GB
Still too damn expensive.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Public...r=14740405

Will do 1080p, digital out, gigabit ethernet, all you need to do is add a hard drive.

If you look around, the GT430 goes on sale for less than that GT220 is.

Anything else above and beyond that is wasting your money.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
okay and how much space does xbmc use with all of the metadata. I have 4TB of movies and tv shows mostly HD.
XBMC doesnt take much space...
dont worry....

you just need to store your MOVIES on a different drive....
yep I going to have 3x2TB & 4x1.5TB for a total of 12TB Running on a Freenas Server. What raid do you think I should use for this and do you think freenas is the best choice. Thanks for all your help.
im an unRAID lover....
unRAID Plus costs $70 and supports up to 6 Hard Drives...
ok and one more question not sure if you would know this or not the case I bought is a mini itx case just wondering if there will be enough clearance for the i3 cpu stock cooler.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ordered Parts For First HTPC0