NAS help
Hi, I'm running xbmc on the atv2 and looking to get a NAS for storage. I've never used a NAS before so could do with a bit of help.

Is there any reason why this one wouldn't work? http://www.amazon.co.uk/QNAP-TS-210-Turb...d_sxp_f_pt

Would it just work as a normal SMB share or would I need to do something else?

Any help appreciated. Thanks.
It will work. You can run it as a SMB share or access it via DLNA or FTP or...

Don't forget to put two HDD in itWink
Thanks very much. Yes I will be getting 2 x 1tb drives to go in it.

Actually I have a couple of other questions while I'm here...

Will the NAS show as one source on the network? I.e. 2 x 1tb drives will show as one network location?

Will I be able to run a scraping program (eg Ember) on it?

Can I install other windows programs (eg Airvideo Server) on it?

Thanks again. Sorry for the newbie questions.
Hi Nibbsy,

I use the QNAP TS-209 Pro II Turbo NAS. It's not a current model, but it's in the line of what you are thinking of.

Conclusion - GREAT, been running in for ~ 2 years as a media and download station.

I have XBMC on 3 x XBOX1's and 1 x ATV2 and can watch different films in multiple rooms simultaneously. Most are connected on AV Homeplugs (XBOX1's don't have wifi).

One suggestion would be to go for bigger HD's. I have 2 x 1.5 TB in a RAID1 Mirror, but they soon get full depending on how much backing up you do. For the extra it's far cheaper to go for the bigger disks now rather than replace them later. have a look through HOTUKDEALS. I just checked quickly and you can get - 'Samsung F4 2TB 3.5" Hard Drive @ eBuyer £61.94 Delivered.' each. 2TB is the max size per drive in your suggested TS-210.

Any questions or clarifications, PM me.

Regards
______________________________________________________________________________________________
ATV2 4.2.1 - XBOX1's x 3 - HomePlugs x many - QNAP 209II Pro NAS - 120" Sony Projector
I personally own 2 QNAP's and love them. Best NAS on the market.

If you want to use them for more than simple streaming tho I encourage you to get their x86 line instead of the marvell-based ARM line. The x86 units have considerably more processing power, so you can do things like run sabnzbd etc directly on it.

You can't go wrong going with QNAP.
Thanks bwelton, thats really helpful. I think I will go for the 2tb drives you mentioned.

What do you use for scraping?
meshuga Wrote:I personally own 2 QNAP's and love them. Best NAS on the market.

If you want to use them for more than simple streaming tho I encourage you to get their x86 line instead of the marvell-based ARM line. The x86 units have considerably more processing power, so you can do things like run sabnzbd etc directly on it.

You can't go wrong going with QNAP.

Thanks very much. Can you suggest a model number in the x86 line?
Nibbsy Wrote:Thanks bwelton, thats really helpful. I think I will go for the 2tb drives you mentioned.

What do you use for scraping?
For Scraping, i use the standard XBMC Movie or TV scrapers. Nothing custom there.

Is that what you meant ?
______________________________________________________________________________________________
ATV2 4.2.1 - XBOX1's x 3 - HomePlugs x many - QNAP 209II Pro NAS - 120" Sony Projector
Ah ok, thanks. At the moment I use separate scraping software on my PC, rather than scraping with XBMC (as it's quicker). I was just wondering if it was possible to do something similar on the NAS itself.

It's not massively important really, just thought I'd ask Smile
Nibbsy Wrote:Ah ok, thanks. At the moment I use separate scraping software on my PC, rather than scraping with XBMC (as it's quicker). I was just wondering if it was possible to do something similar on the NAS itself.

Aha, I understand. I've been thinking of that, as Scraping on the old XBOX's was slow and each one has of course it's own library. It could be useful to have a central Library and repository of thumbs etc

I've not used it through.

Just had a quick look for the x86 QNAP's and they start at the TS-239 Pro II, not sure what they costs, but look good. You may also consider Synology NAS's they appear to be a parallel brand to QNAP.
bwelton Wrote:Aha, I understand. I've been thinking of that, as Scraping on the old XBOX's was slow and each one has of course it's own library. It could be useful to have a central Library and repository of thumbs etc

I've not used it through.

Just had a quick look for the x86 QNAP's and they start at the TS-239 Pro II, not sure what they costs, but look good. You may also consider Synology NAS's they appear to be a parallel brand to QNAP.

Yes it is also helpful to have a central library, especially if you ever have to reinstall xbmc on any of your devices, it saves having to rebuild the library again from scratch. The scraping software I'm using is Ember, there's a thread about it here if you're interested - http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=90682

Thanks for the help with the QNAP. It looks like the x86 based models start at around £400, so more than double the price of the one I'm looking at. I think I will go with the lower end one just for streaming purposes for now Smile And yes I looked at Synology too, they do look good.
Here's the chart:
http://www.qnap.com/images/products/comp...n_NAS.html

I run mysql on the QNAP these days for remote library as well.

The F4 Samsung drives are the best.
meshuga Wrote:Here's the chart:
http://www.qnap.com/images/products/comp...n_NAS.html

I run mysql on the QNAP these days for remote library as well.

The F4 Samsung drives are the best.

That's helpful, thanks.

Yes I was also thinking of looking at running mysql for proper syncing etc.
Hi,

I have the TS-419P+ Qnap which I find great but is there anywhere/one that can tell me how I set it up with XBMC on an Apple TV.

Currenty I have Plex running on it but I want to try XBMC.
So far I cant work out in XBMC how i get it to see my Films and Tv show directories.
Nibbsy Wrote:Ah ok, thanks. At the moment I use separate scraping software on my PC, rather than scraping with XBMC (as it's quicker). I was just wondering if it was possible to do something similar on the NAS itself.

Yes you can scrape it by having the NAS's shared folder as a mapped drive on the PC that you are using Big Grin
Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names.
MaCMeL

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NAS help0