Installing XBMC - UserData to Installdir?
Hi there. I remember back few years ago Windows Xbmc installer asked in the middle If user would like UserData to go to InstallDir or Profile's AppData etc... Nowaways I did no see that question anymore. Target is 10.0 Dharma version.

? Can XBMC be installed so that All the Data&UserData are under the same root ( like in Xbox's xbmc)
realjobe Wrote:Hi there. I remember back few years ago Windows Xbmc installer asked in the middle If user would like UserData to go to InstallDir or Profile's AppData etc... Nowaways I did no see that question anymore. Target is 10.0 Dharma version.

? Can XBMC be installed so that All the Data&UserData are under the same root ( like in Xbox's xbmc)

Install it to a place outside of Program Files because Windows (vista/7) won't allow Xbmc to write to that location unless you run with uac disabled.
For example: install to C:\Xbmc and modifiy or add a shortcut which will start Xbmc but add the -p parameter to it. This stands for portable mode and will create the Userdata inside the install folder.

Regards,

Joop
edit the shortcut that launch XBMC.exe, to add the -p command line argument.
-p stands for portable.

When you starts xbmc like this, all data are stored in the program directory.
Thanks to all XBMC contributors, devs, skinners, scripters, ... It's really an amazing piece of software.
miljbee Wrote:when you starts xbmc like this, all data are stored in the program directory.

Thank you All Very Much. Just the answer I need. UAC is my problem... Using RamDisk (fat32) anyhow.. Smile

BTW, Do I need to run xbmc.exe always with -p param, or is it required only once @1st. run?
realjobe Wrote:BTW, Do I need to run xbmc.exe always with -p param, or is it required only once @1st. run?

You need to use the -p every time. If you omit the -p XBMC will go back to looking for the data in your profile.

JR
ok Thanx. One small: Does Xbmc require administrative level ro run Win7 x64?
realjobe Wrote:ok Thanx. One small: Does Xbmc require administrative level ro run Win7 x64?

Yes if you're using portable mode because non-admins don't have write access to the Program Files directory. However all you need to do is grant "Users" Modify access to C:\Program Files\XBMC and all subfolders.

If you're not using portable mode you don't need to be an administrator.

JR
I have XBMC installed to D:\XBMC, but the userdata is stored under my profile's appdata because I did not use the -p parameter for portable. If I start using it now, will XBMC transfer the data from userdata to installdir? Can I copy the data manually and XBMC will find it OK in the installdir when I start with -p?

I'd like to move to the portable setup without starting from scratch.
Run XBMC in portable mode and it should create the folder D:\XBMC\portable_data. Close XBMC and delete everything in D:\XBMC\portable_data then copy everything in %appdata%\xbmc into D:\XBMC\portable_data. Now start XBMC in portable mode and all your settings, database, add-ons etc should all have been transferred.

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:Run XBMC in portable mode and it should create the folder D:\XBMC\portable_data. Close XBMC and delete everything in D:\XBMC\portable_data then copy everything in %appdata%\xbmc into D:\XBMC\portable_data. Now start XBMC in portable mode and all your settings, database, add-ons etc should all have been transferred.

JR
Awesome! Thanks for the tip.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Installing XBMC - UserData to Installdir?0