Lighting control and XBMC
Dont know if this is the right forum for this question. But I have been reading some posts about controling your lights via xbmc. I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice about what products you would recommend for me? I basically want what others want, when you play a movie I would like the lights to fade and when you pause they fade back on and etc. I have been looking at "smarthome" products, and would I need to create a python script to make this happen? I am in the dark here, just need some suggestions.

Thanks in advance
I personnaly use chacon products to control my lights.
Then I have an rfxcom to send orders to my lights.
Then I have eventghost to send orders to the rfxcom.
Eventghost receives the keypress of my remotes.
When eventghost receives Play/pause/stop/ok from the remote, it sends a JSON RPC request to XBMC to know if something is currently played/paused in xbmc.

If a movie is played, then Eventghost asks the rfxcom to shut off some lights. If nothing is played, or a movie is paused, then eventghost asks the rfxcom to turn on some lights.

Easy !
Thanks to all XBMC contributors, devs, skinners, scripters, ... It's really an amazing piece of software.
There are several products out there for home control. The cheapest is X10 and it does work, but it's finicky and... well, you can judge for yourself by looking at their sight. I use Smarthome's Insteon and some home-brewed software and their computer interface (PLM).

You will definitely need to do some programming no matter what system you choose.
Now when you say finicky what do you mean exactly? Do they work 40% of the time or do you get errors trying to go get them to go on? I have looked at different products including insteon, but ill have to wait to get those products seeing the prices and also that i just had to buy a new a/v reciever couple of weeks ago. I checked out Firecracker cm17a products and can get the whole kit for $50, but again I just dont know if its going to be a pain in the rear to get these things working....I just want a couple of lights to dim (overhead and lamp) thats it I dont need to make it look like AMC or be able to automate the entire home...
I'd go with the X10, then. It's definitely the cheapest and it'll work well enough for what you want. You should certainly be able to write to the Firecracker via Python (probably already a library for it, actually) so integrating with XBMC will be fairly simple.

I do "whole house" lighting automation, so my needs are a bit more onerous than yours... Big Grin
Of course, X10 is cheap, and it might be the best hardware to start with.
But don't spend to much in it, because I am pretty sure that you will want to switch to something else in some time ....
Thanks to all XBMC contributors, devs, skinners, scripters, ... It's really an amazing piece of software.
miljbee Wrote:I personnaly use chacon products to control my lights.
Then I have an rfxcom to send orders to my lights.
Then I have eventghost to send orders to the rfxcom.
Eventghost receives the keypress of my remotes.
When eventghost receives Play/pause/stop/ok from the remote, it sends a JSON RPC request to XBMC to know if something is currently played/paused in xbmc.

If a movie is played, then Eventghost asks the rfxcom to shut off some lights. If nothing is played, or a movie is paused, then eventghost asks the rfxcom to turn on some lights.

Easy !

I would be very interested in seeing how exactly you did the JSON link between eventghost and xbmc.

Could you upload the code somewhere (or PM me)?

To answer the OP:

X10 is the most commercially available system, its pretty simple and cheap. You can connect it to your PC and use various remote controls. You will need some form of eventghost/python plugin (or other script) to control the X10 transceiver connected to your PC.

Home Easy, Domia Lite, Klik aan Klik uit - Klik on Klik off, Byron,Bye Bye Standby all work on a very similar (often identical) communications protocol. It all runs on 433Mhz RF. Klik offer a USB to RF device that allows your PC to control other Klik devices or you can (potentially) controlled by a Tellstick or a Arduino with RF transmitter. Using a Tellstick or Arduino is more of a technical project that wouldn't be easy for a complete beginner but a viable option for some (as an arduino opens up the opportunity to control much more than lights).

There is also Z-Wave which is a closed source system which requires some costly software, but otherwise seems like one of the better systems out there.
Targettio Wrote:I would be very interested in seeing how exactly you did the JSON link between eventghost and xbmc.

Could you upload the code somewhere (or PM me)?

Really easy ... use the latest XBMCRepeat plugin from jonib. He has implemented full JSON RPC and HTTP API. Once the plugin is installed, you just have to add the JSON action in your eg tree and configure it to get what you need.

If you need more help with that, I would recommend you the eventghost forum. Jonib always responds. I can also help, no problem.

Here is a link to the latest XBMCRepeat plugin :
http://www.eventghost.org/forum/viewtopi...138#p16138
miljbee Wrote:Really easy ... use the latest XBMCRepeat plugin from jonib. He has implemented full JSON RPC and HTTP API. Once the plugin is installed, you just have to add the JSON action in your eg tree and configure it to get what you need.

If you need more help with that, I would recommend you the eventghost forum. Jonib always responds. I can also help, no problem.

Gosh..you guys are complicating it. All we need is the ability to run a script when a movie is played then have heyu in Linux or ahcmd or other program in Win send out the x10 so it would work on any platform that has command line control. That's the only thing I miss from my DVDLobby system...it had all the X10 and IR stuff built it. Push play on a DVD and it dimmed the lights, turned on the receiver, set the proper inputs and loaded the proper DVD from the 400 disk changer.....but I don't miss the changer.
Mythbuntu doesn't need viruses - we have Sudo
miljbee Wrote:Really easy ... use the latest XBMCRepeat plugin from jonib. He has implemented full JSON RPC and HTTP API. Once the plugin is installed, you just have to add the JSON action in your eg tree and configure it to get what you need.

Ah ok, its all handled by eventghost. Good to know.
Does anyone happen to have a script availble for this?
queequeeg78 Wrote:Does anyone happen to have a script availble for this?

Hi,

I have made a new (service) Add-on.
for controlling lights (via X10) with XBMC.
You do not need EventGhost.

Check out this link
This is pretty cool. Someone should write up some kind of guide or DIY for this. I have no clue where to get started for this or what to buy etc.
If anyone wants to use the TellStick device, here is a guide: http://www.satheesh.net/2012/01/09/xbmc-lights/

Smile
I'm interested in this too.

What do i need hardwarewise?

I do need a signal sender on pc side right?
Which is?

I want the following:

I have 2 sort of lights
- 2x2 led strips
- starsky lights in the ceiling

I want to:
- Able to turn on/off all 2 lights
- Able to let xbmc control turning on/off/dim all 2 lights

What do i need for it? (not concerning software like eventghost or xbmc addon)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Lighting control and XBMC1