ATV2 doin awesome, then no signal this morning
so i've currently been running XBMC on an ATV2 for the past week and its been running fine, until this morning. I can't seem to get a signal on my screen. i can see the light blink whenever i press a button on the remote but nothing on screen.

i tried this:
ssh root@<ip address of ATV2>

Enter alpine as the password when prompted.

Then run the command:
rm -rf /private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC/userdata/guisettings.xml

That tells it to remove, if need be...by force, the guisettings.xml file.

Then run the command:
killall AppleTV

(using putty)

I'd just restart the darn thing, the only problem is i don't have a mac to retether it... (trying to avoid that)

any other commands that might jump start it?

thanks in advance!

sincerely
los
You don't need a mac to do a tethered boot.
Arctic MC001 + Openelec
Mine does the same thing. If you press the "Menu" button to wake up the unit, then turn up the volume on the TV, you can hear the menu changing if you press left and right on the remote. What I do is just go all the way to the right and then press left twice and then the center button. This launches XBMC which restores the video feed. Not sure what causes this but that's the only thing I have found to work.
I experienced similar issue as well. I had to reboot my ATv in order to get the video signal working to TV. Its annoying as hell.
I had the same thing upon doing an update and here's what worked for me.

killall AppleTV

there was still no signal on screen so I play something on my iphone/mac and send it to AppleTV, audio comes across fine.

killall AppleTV again and picture comes right back.

Odd. Hope it helps
I too am having this problem. Glad it's not just me! Thought it was fully crashing, and was rebooting the box to fix it. But you're right you can hear the menu sounds.
I've had this happen as well, has happened quite a few times, I always just blindly relaunch XBMC. We probably should gather some more detailed information yes?

First I think we need to clarify if this no signal is in XBMC, the AppleTV dashboard/springboard whatever they call it on the ATV, or in both.

-For me its when I exit XBMC, no signal, but the springboard is still there becuase you can hear the menu sounds.

Second what method did you jailbreak ATV, i.e. Seasonpass, PwnageTool..

-I used pwnagetool 4.1.3 in Mac VM, boot tethered by windows.

Third XBMC debug log.

-I captured a log once when it happened, and many of course when it didnt. Line for line it's the same after exit. Here's the one where it happened http://pastebin.com/6WEbz5m1

-Again line for line the same as when it didnt happen. Looking through some other peoples their last line says DEBUG: LinuxRendererGL: Cleaning up GL resources. Mine doesn't but they were all using initial build, and mine doesn't have the line and works great 19 out 20 times.

Fourth what build of XBMC

-While we can tell from the logs, it would be easier at a glance to post it. Mine is 1-29 beta
Mine is 1-29 Beta. I completely exit from XBMC and then put the ATV2 to sleep via the "springboard". It's upon wakeup that I have the issues. I still hear the menu as I stated in post #3 and just blindly launch XBMC which returns me to the "springboard". I used seas0npass.

Also, anyone else notice that when you try to launch XBMC sometimes it will just return you to the "springboard"? Then the next time you try to launch XBMC it gives you the splash screen and works just fine?
yeah i knew i could hear the menu, but didn't think about trying to reopen XBMC

but yeah that worked (clicked all the way left and then clicked right 3 times, and selected XBMC

this is the first time the crash happened:

Exited out of XBMC
put ATV2 to sleep

i'm running ATV2 4.1.1
seas0npass jailbreak

i also get the crash that sometimes happens when you select XBMC, it crashes, it restarts and then you have to select it again (sometimes when that happens there is a link missing in the ATV2 menu (like no internet or no tv shows)

good call guys!!
piotr Wrote:You don't need a mac to do a tethered boot.

for realz? even if i did everything with a mac? can you link me to the thread?

THANKS Big Grin
You can use iREB.
I'm also having this problem.

I'm running xbmc-012911_atv2-arm
I'm experiencing the issue on:
seas0npass
29th Jan build
boot tethered using syringe on Windows
XBMC log: http://spdr.me/EkV4 (not sure if it's related to the issue)
ATV log: http://spdr.me/uuQC (not sure if it's related to the issue)

I've also regularly been experiencing the issue where XBMC crashes on first load, but works fine 2nd time.
Maybe its an offshoot of the HDMI handshake issue? A few people there talked about just a black screen, mostly color inversion though. Seems fixed in 4.3b2.

http://discussions.info.apple.com/thread...0&tstart=0

Eh, I don't know maybe not, just throwing more information out there. If that does end end being it, we could have a fix by next Apple firmware. Keep tossing information in the thread.
shepworth Wrote:I had the same thing upon doing an update and here's what worked for me.

killall AppleTV

there was still no signal on screen so I play something on my iphone/mac and send it to AppleTV, audio comes across fine.

killall AppleTV again and picture comes right back.

Odd. Hope it helps
Can confirm this approach works.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ATV2 doin awesome, then no signal this morning0