Adding shared USB drive connected to Apple Airport Extreme Base Station (AEBS)
Hi all,

I have XBMC working nicely on my ATV2, and was able to create an SMB share to access my MacBook's internal hard drive with little hassle. I have been very impressed with the quality of the streamed media.

However, I can't for the life of me, gain access to either of the USB drives I have connected to my Airport Extreme (via a USB hub). They're both perfectly accessible through Finder on my MacBook, and I turned on read access for all (guest) users, under file sharing preferences.

When I browse the SMB shares available, as I attempt to add the USB drive(s), I see the folder named WORKGROUP, and within it are 2 folder links for my MacBook's drive, and for my Airport Extreme. However, when I select the Airport Extreme, I get an error message (something along the lines of "access denied", or "permission denied" - I'm at work now, and I forgot the exact error, but I will update later on).

Has here been anyone able to access a USB drive shared over their Airport Extreme's network on their Apple TV 2 running XBMC? If so, would you mind sharing the steps you followed, and the settings you're using?

Thanks so much.
Had also that problem in the beginning. when you add a source go tho the option add manually(dunno the exact name atm) and add there the following if you want to access to you nas drive on the Airport Extreme:
smb://name harddrive : [email protected]/
Not spaces inbetween :, but have to that or else i see a smilie. I presume btw your airport extreme adress is 10.0.1.1
Reverb Wrote:Had also that problem in the beginning. when you add a source go tho the option add manually(dunno the exact name atm) and add there the following if you want to access to you nas drive on the Airport Extreme:
smb://name harddrive : [email protected]/
Not spaces inbetween :, but have to that or else i see a smilie. I presume btw your airport extreme adress is 10.0.1.1

Reverb,
Just wrap any codes around the code tag.

Code:
smb://name harddrive:[email protected]/
blah. Still get the same "operation not permitted" error. (I don't believe I have a password assigned to the drive or Airport extreme, so should I just type "password"? That's what I've been doing - is there any way to check?)

Anyone other ideas?
Hey, I had the same issue with my AirPortExtreme, enable guest access in the Airport Utility and browse SMB shares and add your's with smb://ip/nameofdrive

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Adding shared USB drive connected to Apple Airport Extreme Base Station (AEBS)0