[AppleTV2] Constant Buffering on 720p MKV - Wireless Question
Hey guys, I have since switched to using FTP to serve files and the results are excellent. 1080p over WiFi, no buffering. Also unlike my experience with PMS (no pun intended) library scraping works fine.

I use FileZilla ftp server on my windows box. I believe Mac has FTP serving built-in.
roygbiv Wrote:Hey guys, I have since switched to using FTP to serve files and the results are excellent. 1080p over WiFi, no buffering. Also unlike my experience with PMS (no pun intended) library scraping works fine.

Confirmed. FTP setup solves buffering for me on 10MBit/s files over wifi and appears to be scraping okay. Definitely working better than SMB. Need a tougher file to test if it beats http streaming.
From my experience, I've not had any problems playing 720p movies encoded in x.264 (h.264) if however I try to play one that is coded in xvid I get this buffering issue. I can play standard .avi files (non HD) that are in xvid no problems...

Maybe the ATV2 doesn't handle 720p xvid files very well at all?
Devices using XBMC
iMac | MacBook | MacBook Air | AppleTV2 | iPad | iPhone4
DazNoonan Wrote:From my experience, I've not had any problems playing 720p movies encoded in x.264 (h.264) if however I try to play one that is coded in xvid I get this buffering issue. I can play standard .avi files (non HD) that are in xvid no problems...

Maybe the ATV2 doesn't handle 720p xvid files very well at all?
Well the chip inside the ATV2 doesnt allow for hardware accelerated XVID so playing HD content encoded that way will probably be slow. Especially considering this thing doesnt have much power in the GPU/CPU area.
Server - Debain Squeeze Server + 6TB RAID5 + Sabnzbd + CP & SB
HTPC - Zotac MAG + 60GB Vertex 2 SSD + OpenELEC Frodo 12.1 + Aeon Nox
HTPC 2 - AppleTV 2
Actually, mpeg4 part 2 (XVID) is supported by the hw decoder but I'm not talking to it correctly yet so mpeg4 part 2 is currently vectored to ffmepg for decoding.
davilla Wrote:Actually, mpeg4 part 2 (XVID) is supported by the hw decoder but I'm not talking to it correctly yet so mpeg4 part 2 is currently vectored to ffmepg for decoding.
Oh ok. Who still uses XVID for HD anyways...
Server - Debain Squeeze Server + 6TB RAID5 + Sabnzbd + CP & SB
HTPC - Zotac MAG + 60GB Vertex 2 SSD + OpenELEC Frodo 12.1 + Aeon Nox
HTPC 2 - AppleTV 2
maybee we need some tuneing on the smb client side, if I remember correct the Mac OSX need some tuneing in cli to get good throughput via smb over both wifi and high speed ethernets, might it be the same ? since ftp works beter
We will be better off without SMB. Here's hoping for a better solution soon.
roygbiv Wrote:Hey guys, I have since switched to using FTP to serve files and the results are excellent. 1080p over WiFi, no buffering. Also unlike my experience with PMS (no pun intended) library scraping works fine.

I use FileZilla ftp server on my windows box. I believe Mac has FTP serving built-in.

Hi, I tried using FileZilla ftp server, and xbmc can't connect using the apple tv, but xbmc on the pc can connect ok.

How did you set yours up?

Thanks

(using ps3mediaserver at the moment and that works well)
might this do thetrick for smb issues ? or how is smb setup on te os in the atv2
does anyone know ?
sudo sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.delayed_ack=0
I tried this without success.

I have a xbmc on ubuntu, xbmc on windows 7, and xbmc on atv2 , they all are useing smb for file streaming. when I play some x.264 720p video my atv2 will rebuffer very very oftan and is related to the bitrate spiking, all other xbmc boxes play the same video just fine over excat same network. So this is either and xbmc issue or smb/network issue related to atv2. Just wanted to confirm that this is notjust related to wifii, although I can see why it get into the mix considering much worse networks in general on wifi.
I accidently got upgraded to 4.3 last night. So I bought a new atv2 today and run cat6 cable from router. Much more smoth now, only buffering on some 1080p movies.

Also tried with FTP, it seems quicker in gui but all HD 720p movies shows to 2.0 GB size? Anyone now why? Also no problem with fast forward, seems much quicker. But FTP cant start HD movies in .avi format. Weird.
I shouldn't think CAT6 cable would be making a difference unless you have some bad CAT 5 or 5E cables...

Can we define buffering because I think each persons definition maybe different?

I get what seems to be a slowdown in FPS so the image and sound stay in sync but the image seems slower.. its not smooth.. over the exact same Gigabit LAN my PS3 played this flawlessly..
What helped me.
I was having issues streaming any video over 8Mbits (constant buffering). I determine the that the issue was the on the atv. I tried samba, upnp, and many of the suggestions on this thread. What finally made the difference was when I restored and jailbroke my atv2, and started fresh with xbmc (30511). I was able to stream files of 25Mb+ just fine of upnp. I don't know exactly what made the difference but I'm guessing it had to do with packages installed (I had many, plus I had compiled some of my own).
buffering for the most people, would be when movie stops and it says buffering.. and then a little numbers going up to 100.Nod

Well I am pretty certain I know the difference between cat5 and cat6 cable. But why buy a cat5 cable now, in 2 years there might be another model able to use gigabit ethernet? Almost same price also.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2] Constant Buffering on 720p MKV - Wireless Question0