Best TV-Backend?
haifischjunge, what usb sat adapter are you using with what backend?

i have a tevii s660 which i cannot get to work properly.

at the moment i'm using tvheadend as a backend and i have to say things are pretty stable. I (my wife) only misses the teletext feature with tvheadend, this does work with vdr.

@Dushmaniac
any change to get that supported in tvheadend?
i know i could try myself like you said in the personal mail but i'm not a programmer Smile, maybe someone else interested looking into tt support with tvheadend? Big Grin

With kind regards

William
Im using the TT3600 S-2 USB thingi, so far it looks good, but Im on ski vacation and here ive got terrible reception so I came only to the point where everything was working by principle but wasnt usable.

now im back home but have to work a lot due to the past week absence so I dont know when I will recheck my setup.

(right now I using ubuntu 10.04 in parallels for the backend server and an old (quite unstable) build of xbmc-pvr for mac-os.

the target would be to have everything running on my appletv1 (most probably downgrading to 8.04), but thats a long way.
Can anyone tell me how fast is vdr in channel change compared to tvheadend?
With streamdev quiete slow, with VNSI a lot faster but not really stable yet. (or last time Ive checked)
haifischjunge

Could you please post here your experience with your usb adapter like channel zap times and system load under usage?

With kind regards

William
I will on the weekend, I need to change to a more "realistic" setup for real tests (right now tvheadend and ubuntu are running in a VM) and XBMC-PVR on MacOS instead of Linux (and a very old Build)
VDR i'm use has many plugins, does tvheadend or mythtv has similair plugins?
Marx1 Wrote:VDR i'm use has many plugins, does tvheadend or mythtv has similair plugins?

The author of VDR made it as minimal as possible in benefit of speed and code complexity. Because of this most features are implemented as plugins. The author also aims to implement the basics as an plugin. So to answer your question better you should specify what functions are important to you.

In general I can tell you that MythTV has more features implemented in the application itself while VDR offers these as plugins. Both VDR and Myth has a large set of plugins. So VDR and Myth are comparable... although there might exist a plugin/feature the other does not has.

I have worked (and coded) quite a bit with Myth and VDR, But lack experience with TVHeadend, so I can't inform you about TVHeadend yet.
Main pc: P3-333 daimond viper
haifischjunge Wrote:Im using the TT3600 S-2 USB thingi, so far it looks good, but Im on ski vacation and here ive got terrible reception so I came only to the point where everything was working by principle but wasnt usable.
Have you got any tips for getting the TT3600 s-2 thingi working? I have one too but cannot get it installed on Mythbuntu.
tmpdir Wrote:The author of VDR made it as minimal as possible in benefit of speed and code complexity. Because of this most features are implemented as plugins. The author also aims to implement the basics as an plugin. So to answer your question better you should specify what functions are important to you.

In general I can tell you that MythTV has more features implemented in the application itself while VDR offers these as plugins. Both VDR and Myth has a large set of plugins. So VDR and Myth are comparable... although there might exist a plugin/feature the other does not has.

I have worked (and coded) quite a bit with Myth and VDR, But lack experience with TVHeadend, so I can't inform you about TVHeadend yet.

1) I thought about analog TV, and in future DVB-T, so three cards at once.
2) TVheadend doesn't have trancoding on-the-fly, in VDR it's possible. How about MythTV?
3) Integration with XBMC - today VDR released version with true-color OSD possibility, maybe someone will make Confluence skin for VDR...? Because xbmc-pvr is rather unstable now. Maybe other backends has more stable connection?
Marx1 Wrote:1) I thought about analog TV, and in future DVB-T, so three cards at once.
Both Mythtv and VDR have no problem with multiple tv-cards and you can mix analog and DVB. Support for analog cards is possible in mythtv without plugins in vdr you need a plugin.

Tvheadend also supports analog TV. Only PAL, ntsc is experimental. see the tvheadend wiki for ntsc support.

Quote:2) TVheadend doesn't have trancoding on-the-fly, in VDR it's possible. How about MythTV?
MythTV has settings to change the compression rate to save diskspace. I've not seen an option to change the file format if thats what your looking for.

Quote:3) Integration with XBMC - today VDR released version with true-color OSD possibility, maybe someone will make Confluence skin for VDR...? Because xbmc-pvr is rather unstable now. Maybe other backends has more stable connection?

Personally I don't mind the vdr looks. I like the simple look when watching livetv. Livetv itself is as dated and simple as well Wink

From what I've read xmc supports tvheadend slightly better than VDR or Mythtv. I'm using vdr standalone with a button on my remote to switch between xbmc and VDR (live tv). But the recent developments look promissing and I'll give XBMC-pvr + tvheadend a testrun. I like how tvheadend is organized and how simple it is to install a new version from source or installation package (like XBMC).

Before even starting to install VDR you're required to read a fair amount to find the right dependencies and latest compatible plugins. Mythtv is even worse.
Main pc: P3-333 daimond viper

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best TV-Backend?0