[AppleTV 2] For windows users with no Network or Wifi after Jailbreak
If like many windows users you have no wifi or Ethernet after jailbreaking your Apple TV 2 there is a solution which between a few of us have been testing, we have completed the procedure below at least 10 times and every time has been successful.

Lets hope this solution works for you too.

Here is how

Prepare all the correct files and folders for the jailbreak as specified here but only complete steps 1 to 7 ( you will need someone with a mac for those 7 steps or use a vmware)

then when that is complete you should have a tether folder on your windows desktop,

You need to grab the file from here and put it inside your tether folder too, but unzip the contents first.

Then download ireb from here

Now you are ready to Jailbreak your Apple TV 2 with your windows machine, so with your tethered folder in place on your desktop and ireb handy follow the next steps exactly as written.

PLEASE READ INSTRUCTIONS FIRST TO FAMILIARISE YOURSELF WITH THE WHOLE PROCESS

1.Connect ATV to the PC via micro-usb and run ireb. Select Apple tv and follow the intructions to get into a pwned dfu mode (this is important otherwise itunes will error on you).

2.Open itunes and SHIFT-Restore. Select the custom firmware that is in your tether folder and wait till its done.

3. Plug in USB and Power lead and attach to your pc

4. hold down button and menu button on apple remote for 6 seconds then wait 2 seconds and pull out power cord leaving only usb lead attached.

5. hold menu and play buttons on apple remote for 7 seconds.

6. plug the power lead back into the apple tv so you have power lead and usb lead plugged in and it is still attached to your pc via usb

7. Open CMD from windows start menu and enter the following command below and hit enter

CD desktop/tethered

8. then enter the following command below and hit enter

tetheredboot -i iBSS.k66ap.RELEASE.dfu -k kernelcache.release.k66

7. let it do its thing black box should disappear as soon as black box disappears unplug usb and plug in hdmi, DO NOT REMOVE POWER CABLE. make sure you swap the usb cable for the hdmi cable within a few seconds of the black box disappearing.

8. Job Done, your apple TV should be fully usable with full wifi and ethernet.
Thanks for this - I finally have WiFi working!

My streamlined teathered boot process is:

1. Unplug all cables from the ATV2
  2. Start "teatheredboot.exe" running (I use a shortcut)
  3. Plug in the ATV2 via MicroUSB
  4. Hold the "Menu" and "Play" buttons for around 10 seconds, then release.
  5. As soon as the teatheredboot.exe program recognizes the ATV2 and starts doing the boot sequence, plug in the power ASAP.
  6. When the teatheredboot.exe program exits/disappears, unplug the USB and plug in the HDMI.

(I just tried this again to verify - worked fine - the only thing I noticed was that my WiFi hadn't saved and I had to re-do it.)

To add to the research, it seems the most important "trick" out of all this is to have the power cable connected as quickly as possible during boot. This makes sense - I would assume the power needs to be present to power up the WiFi and Ethernet components. There's not a lot of amperage available on a USB2 port.

I prefer to start the teatheredboot.exe program first. This way I can see if it recognizes the ATV2 is in DFU mode:

CD desktop/tethered
tetheredboot.exe -i iBSS.k66ap.RELEASE.dfu -k kernelcache.release.k66

I made a shortcut for this command - make a shortcut to teatheredboot.exe, then edit it to "start in" your "teathered" folder, and add the -i -k options. Saves a ton of time. Put the shortcut on your desktop (or someplace convenient).
Fat Elvis Wrote:Thanks for this - I finally have WiFi working!

My streamlined teathered boot process is:

1. Unplug all cables from the ATV2
  2. Start "teatheredboot.exe" running (I use a shortcut)
  3. Plug in the ATV2 via MicroUSB
  4. Hold the "Menu" and "Play" buttons for around 10 seconds, then release.
  5. As soon as the teatheredboot.exe program recognizes the ATV2 and starts doing the boot sequence, plug in the power ASAP.
  6. When the teatheredboot.exe program exits/disappears, unplug the USB and plug in the HDMI.

(I just tried this again to verify - worked fine - the only thing I noticed was that my WiFi hadn't saved and I had to re-do it.)

To add to the research, it seems the most important "trick" out of all this is to have the power cable connected as quickly as possible during boot. This makes sense - I would assume the power needs to be present to power up the WiFi and Ethernet components. There's not a lot of amperage available on a USB2 port.

I prefer to start the teatheredboot.exe program first. This way I can see if it recognizes the ATV2 is in DFU mode:

CD desktop/tethered
tetheredboot.exe -i iBSS.k66ap.RELEASE.dfu -k kernelcache.release.k66

I made a shortcut for this command - make a shortcut to teatheredboot.exe, then edit it to "start in" your "teathered" folder, and add the -i -k options. Saves a ton of time. Put the shortcut on your desktop (or someplace convenient).

Glad it worked for you, if you install Nito TV there is actually a tweak you can download and install from the Nito TV installer that makes your Apple TV remember your wifi, its called "WIFI Tweak" and it works well.
badjase Wrote:8. Job Done, your apple TV should be untethered and fully usable with full wifi and ethernet.

You sure about the bold part ?
Arctic MC001 + Openelec
piotr Wrote:You sure about the bold part ?

Post edited, Oops your right, meant to say tethered, not untethered!!
This does not work.. I try and and everything installed (expliot, ipsw, and tether files) then I disconnect and put in hdmi and jsut get the atv2 in a steady flashing light. doesnt boot up or anything. maybe a video would be helpful to show the steps as Ive tried this all day and nothing. thanks for the how to however. Smile
Nvidia Shield with Kodi 18
New to JailBreaking stuff here... I don't own a Mac, but my co-worker does. He's not available to come to my house to do the tethered JailBreak on my ATV2 for me (plus I'm not going to call him every time it needs a reboot, or power goes out or what have you), so my question is - can he JailBreak it at his house, bring it to me the next day and when I power it up at home I it will be JailBroken?
I'm getting impatient waiting for the Windows JB version, and want some XBMC on this little thing.
tedbone Wrote:New to JailBreaking stuff here... I don't own a Mac, but my co-worker does. He's not available to come to my house to do the tethered JailBreak on my ATV2 for me (plus I'm not going to call him every time it needs a reboot, or power goes out or what have you), so my question is - can he JailBreak it at his house, bring it to me the next day and when I power it up at home I it will be JailBroken?
I'm getting impatient waiting for the Windows JB version, and want some XBMC on this little thing.

Well yes technically it can be jailbroken at his house and then brought to your house. It will still be jailbroken but now u have to tether it up ao it boots up. So u need a laptop to do this.
There is a way to do this with windows which is on first post of this thread. I have not been successful in doing it.
Thanks for the info. Yes the first post sounds too complicated for me to get into. Plus, if I screwed up the boot I might need a mac to do it again, and that could take forever. I'm going to hold out for the Windows Jailbreak version.
Success. THank you soo much for this as got it finally working.. yippppeee
Thumbs Up 
I was able to successfully do the Jailbreak with only a Windows XP netbook and a MicroUSB cable. Some people have shared their pre-modified IPSW files, eliminating the need for a Mac. (Not on here, of course.)
Fat Elvis Wrote:I was able to successfully do the Jailbreak with only a Windows XP netbook and a MicroUSB cable. Some people have shared their pre-modified IPSW files, eliminating the need for a Mac. (Not on here, of course.)

http://www.ultrasn0w.ca/2011/02/how-to-u...hered.html
Now it's super easy for PC users...installing XBMC on it right now.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV 2] For windows users with no Network or Wifi after Jailbreak0